• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Haven't skulked on this thread for a while, don't really have much to say that hasn't already been said, really sucks that they're having to end the show and sucks for many employees at RT in general considering many of them didn't get told about everything shutting down until the public was told as well.

@Dust_Collector
Huh interesting, nice to see others besides G1 starting to do more blogs like this. Gonna give this a quick read.

What y'all thoughts on Kazuya vs Wesker?

Not directed at you, but the matchup in question.

I'd rather see Kazuya fight the Green Goblin before Wesker. Vergil is somehow a better matchup. I'd even put my dislike of RWBY aside and call up Raven Branwen before I ever see that ugly ass matchup become a reality.

Kazuya vs Iori.
Albert Wesker vs Liquid Snake.

Simple
Nothing
Death Battle fate is in limbo
Yes, the recent video told absolutely nothing. Everything is possible, between season 11 with season 10 or season 1 production quality, a simple podcast or even complete end if they cannot find a buyer. Rooster Teeth was shut down because it bled money and nobody wanted to buy it.

Listen I know for the longest time we knew that RT was getting shut down. We knew they weren’t turning a profit and most of the shows besides DB actually mattered. But to see them actually gone….

Damn
Nothing can live forever
why would KratosDante be nogo? Waaaay later since KratosAsura overtook it but its not even bad MU?
Honestly it's a popular MU anyways so ya can still do it

Not directed at you, but the matchup in question.

I'd rather see Kazuya fight the Green Goblin before Wesker. Vergil is somehow a better matchup. I'd even put my dislike of RWBY aside and call up Raven Branwen before I ever see that ugly ass matchup become a reality.

Kazuya vs Iori.
Albert Wesker vs Liquid Snake.

Wait what the **** I didn't ask that

Accountant here. I can give a very simplified, summarized explanation.

Intellectual properties are categorized under intangible assets per GAAP, as patents, designs, models, songs, etc... are not physical in nature. Intangible assets, such as IP's, do naturally depreciate over their useful life.

The useful life is defined as a near-accurate estimation of the number of years an asset is likely to remain in service, per purpose of it's cost-to-revenue generation. Meaning a company basically gives a ticking clock to how much they can milk an asset, before it dries up. This is numerically recorded as genuine costs per monthly basis.

So if we assume the RWBY IP was valued at $10 million, and depreciate it over the average intangible life of 15 years, then ideally RT would begin to depreciate RWBY at $666,666.67 each month as an expense (cost) -- so to be considered profitable, they would want monthly revenue/profits from RWBY to exceed that -- which I doubt it did.

RWBY has never been a major success according to RT upper management. They have a quality, die-hard fanbase, but not mass in quantity

To add to this there is NDA's and IP retention.

NDA's

With NDA's there are conditions to them. If you are getting fired then your severance can be tied to an NDA. This means you can get a really great severance package under the condition you don't talk about what you worked on. Now you don't have to sign it before you leave but if you don't then you will get the bare minimum if that. With these NDA's there can be a time limit before you can talk about what you worked on, so it might be five years before you can say anything. If you do say something then you can be taken to court for breach of contract, now you are losing all the money you got as well as dealing with court costs.

With the CRWBY leadership they probably got a nice payout but in turn they can't say anything for years. If this is the case don't expect them to post anything online or say something at a convention. If they did WBD can easily take them to court for violation of their NDA

IP Retention

With IP's just because you buy it doesn't mean you own it, that sounds dumb but I'll explain. Unless you pay for full ownership and control of an IP you might not own it, if anything you are leasing it. The idea is that the original creator doesn't have someone holding onto their IP for decades and doing nothing with it, if they are not making something with it they can get it back and find someone else to make a piece of media from it. An example of this is the Marvel comic characters owned by Sony. When Sony got the rights to Spider-man and the Fantastic Four a condition was in the contract that Sony had to make movies for those characters, if they went a certain number of years without making a movie then the rights would revert back to Marvel. This mean Sony needs to make movies with these characters every number of years, the movies don't have to be good, look at Fan4stic but as long as that gets made Sony gets to hold onto the IP.

If someone buys RWBY, WBD can have it where they have retention of the IP. So someone could come in and spend $10,000,000 for the IP but they don't own it, they are just leasing it with the understanding if they do nothing after a certain number of years WBD gets the rights back. So you can't just buy the IP and hold onto it forever, you would need to start production on something right away. Take too long and WBD gets the rights back and you are out a lot of money.

If they sell RWBY to someone they will either ask for a lot of money just to get as much as possible or find someone they can lease the IP to who can develop it.
Disney and its consequences have been a disaster for IPs.

Back