• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Destroying the titanic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Presumably Large Building level, yes.

To sink the thing?

Possibly even a Small Building level attack could do the trick if aimed at the right spot.

It depends on what kind of destruction we are talking about.Break it into a few large pieces?Break it into many pieces?Vaporize it? etc.

These are the dimensions of the Titanic: http://titanic19120412.weebly.com/buoyancy.html

Particularly, it states that the volume of the Titanic is about 404639.87m^3. Seeing that most of the ship's interiors are hollow, I will assume 75% hollowness for this.

Volume of Titanic = 404,639,870,000 cm^3

Depending on what your definition of destruction is, we will cover 3 scenarios. To:

• Sink it, we only need to blow a hole inside the hull; this will cause the ship itself to fill itself with water, therefore causing the ship to sink. A Building level attack, or a few Small Building level attacks will do.
  • smash it to pieces, the fragmentation value of steel is about 208 J/cc. 404639870000*208 = 20115.94 Tons of TNT (Town level)
  • vaporize the entire thing, the vaporization value of steel is about 60117.42 J/cc. 404639870000*60117.42 = 5814031 Tons of TNT (Small City level)

I guess I should be more specific and ask for the KE output it would take to damage the ship in the same way the iceberg did.

So yeah, small building to large building.

Thanks for the calc.

Since the question has been answered, I will close this.

KE of the titanic

Mass = 60 gigagrams (6*10^7 kg)

Top speed = 22 knot = 11 m/s

KE =1/2 m v^2

KE = 3630000000 Joules (0.867 tons of TNT or Building level)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back