• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Devil May Cry massive revisions (NO, NOT FROM KAMIYA'S TWITTER)

Status
Not open for further replies.
First Kratos now this. ****.

https://www.deviantart.com/nekroz-of-mokey/art/Devil-May-Cry-Feats-785778135 is where I got these sources from.

Every hack n' slash ever must gain more power

DMC1
We know Mundus created every demon. This would include Nightmare, multiple times in fact, who contains a dimension with a star inside.

The Mirror World also contains a star but I'm not sure how to go about it. I have yet to see evidence of anything suggesting it was created or manipulated by someone.

In any case, Mundus is the creator of demons and can, in fact, make many Nightmares.

According to the DMC enemy files:

"Devil May Cry, Enemy File — Nightmare: 'When you are surrounded in its gel-like form, you will be teleported into an evil dimension. You must defeat the evil spirits that rule the dimension. The evil is a reflection of Dante's trauma that rests in his subconscious.'"

The spirits are created from Dante's conscious, not the entire dimension itself, despite common belief that it is an illusion. "you will be teleported into an evil dimension" implies that the dimension exists there already to begin with.

At the end of the game, a contested feat occurs. WoG suggests Mundus created the universe. I know the counterargument that Kamiya is a troll, but that argues solely on a credibility point of view. Credibility has never been objective evidence, nor will it ever be. Great claims require great evidence, and VS often goes out of its way to ignore the burden of proof for Word of God feats. To be fair, how WoG is treated just needs better standards. (And preferably less harrassment of creators because now Kamiya refuses to even speak to an English speaker on twitter now)

Kamiya also clarified this stuff ad nauseam on twitter.

In any case, universal creation powers are further backed up by the DMC2 novels. (And, you know, Nightmares.)

DMC2 Novel
In Devil May Cry Volume 2, prequel to DMC2 and also the introduction of the Uroboros Corporation: www.imgur.com/a/mBxI08U

Here you can see Dante fight Mundus and destroy the dimension with him in it. Mundus is described as being the void itself. However, there is something important here as well. Not only does it say that Dante recalled fighting Mundus in his own world previously, which gives credence to the previous feat, we also now know Mundus does have these creation powers. It also implies these worlds are the same, which makes sense once you see some more evidence.

Dante should also have some massive range and hax to be able to destroy the dimension with his own weapons/send ripples throughout it.

Dante also fought Chen while amped, who was on par with Sparda with the Beastheads. Chen believed the Beastheads were on par with Sparda and base Dante slew them, high difficulty. Sparda/Mundus tiers scaling to base Dante and such is not unimaginable, as you can see. More evidence in the DMC3 manga as well. Devil Trigger is obviously just them but stronger.

Also the novel claims: "The techniques of the demon realm are truly remarkable. ... Faraway oceans and distant events can be brought to us as if we could reach out and pluck Mister Ducas from my ship. And these are just the powers of lesser demons. Imagine what we might achieve with a higher devil, or the Beastheads itself."

casually grabbing an entire ocean and bringing it to you, excellent speed and AP feat

Also apparently the Beastheads were shaking the world. Vague on its own, but the Beastheads were about to bring about the end of the world,and were later described as actually causing seismic activity .Take it as you will.

DMC3 Manga
While the means through which universe merging was going to happen was via portals, the reason why that was was because of magical seals put in place by Sparda.

[1] [2] [3]

Magical seals were made and must be undone in order to cause the universes to merge. As such, creation of the magical seals is scalable, since they are what ward off the universes from merging. This is said to require great power as well. [4] [5]

So yes, these seals require power. Also:

[6]

Demon names are literal. They are the true form of the demon. What foes Mundus' name mean, according to DMC canon itself?

[7]

Mundus' name means living universe basically. DMC2 novel essentially confirmed that as well.

Also Arkham obtained the powers of Sparda at this point and he was fightable. (Note that Dante and Vergil each have half of his power level according to the scans above, and it did not even necessarily mean that they were for sure weaker than Sparda, according to the Rabbit)

DMC4
The Savior was made out of parts of Sparda and contains pocket universes within itself. It was cobbled together kind of randomly so this is a casual feat for its creators.

[8] (Exact copies of areas in the game you have been to prior) [9] explanation that the inner heavens are controlled by the Order

Also, Sanctus uses the body of Sparda to fight as well.

Universal-Universal+ dante but unironically

still loses to bayo tho

Also theres like zero impressive speed feats btw

Soooo... discuss!

Current Vote: 4-2-1

Agree: Schnee One, DarkGrath, Nekroz-of-Mokey, Dr. Whiteee

Disagree: Matthew Schroeder, Rin The Dragon Empress

Abstain: Stefano4444

Illusion arguments are terrible and completely non evidenced conjecture.

The most solid feat is mundus dimension creation with the stars. With secondary context and word of god at best you can stretch it to universal.

But multiversal? Nah I don't think that's evidenced.

I'm going to follow this blog just for s**ts and giggles.

Why not, if GoW get to be Universal, then i don't see why DMC shouldn't deserve at least a chance.

So for now i will remain Abstain.

Dr. whiteee said:
The most solid feat is mundus dimension creation with the stars. With secondary context and word of god at best you can stretch it to universal.

there are no illusion arguments unless you're referring to the saviour

ZephyrosOmega said:
Dr. whiteee said:

I am referring to arguments about Mundus feats/mirror world being "an illusion".

Dr. whiteee said:
ZephyrosOmega said:
Dr. whiteee said:

I am referring to arguments about Mundus feats/mirror world being "an illusion".
so NOT the saviour, which is where low multi comes from

Yay once again.

So...

1) Devil May Cry's Novels aren't canon, so they aren't even worth to bring up to the discussion here. And even then, we have no idea how big Mundus' dimension in the novel is so it is unquantifiable entirely.

2) The Nightmare feat is visibly and blatantly illusory. He puts you in a mental dream world where you have to face your subconscious fears. It's not an actual solar system level feat in the slightest.

3) Mundus' name doesn't mean anything, his name meaning world doesn't mean he is a universe. Completely irrelevant.

4) Nobody ever literally fused the Demon World and the Human World together in the manga backstory, that's just flowery language for connecting the two through portals and ruling both. The whole series has this as a plot point, demons invading through portals, not by merging reality together.

So yeah, no new things and no real Universal feats here.

Matthew Schroeder said:
Yay once again.
So...

1) Devil May Cry's Novels aren't canon, so they aren't even worth to bring up to the discussion here. And even then, we have no idea how big Mundus' dimension in the novel is so it is unquantifiable entirely.

2) The Nightmare feat is visibly and blatantly illusory. He puts you in a mental dream world where you have to face your subconscious fears. It's not an actual solar system level feat in the slightest.

3) Mundus' name doesn't mean anything, his name meaning world doesn't mean he is a universe. Completely irrelevant.

4) Nobody ever literally fused the Demon World and the Human World together in the manga backstory, that's just flowery language for connecting the two through portals and ruling both. The whole series has this as a plot point, demons invading through portals, not by merging reality together.

So yeah, no new things and no real Universal feats here.
1) canon should only be determined by if something is explicitly contradicted or outright said to be non-canonical. So... yeah.

2) Non-Sequitir. The evil spirits you see are created from Dante's mind, Not the dimension itself. And even then those spirits are still real.

3) Did you even read the blog? The statements are above, only "debunked" because YOU said the novels were non-canon which you have shown no evidence of

4) This is blatantly false. Its literally how the history of the entire series started. Hell and the real world were fused together in chaos

No I didn't, this is literally something all I have seen. Said "pocket dimensions" inside the Savior are 100% unquantifiable and doesn't make him multiversal in size. We see how large he is, and it's not what you are saying.

Matthew Schroeder said:
No I didn't, this is literally something all I have seen. Said "pocket dimensions" inside the Savior are 100% unquantifiable and doesn't make him multiversal in size. We see how large he is, and it's not what you are saying.
Since when have we used size as means to debunk pocket dimensions

Literally Majora's Mask does this with the moon, but we still consider that to be solar system

Matthew Schroeder said:
You're missing the point of what pocket dimensions are

Matthew Schroeder said:

False, it's literally said to be a dimension. It playing and conjuring demons based on Dante's mind has jack all to do with it being an actual dimension. By your logic Persona, and Danny Phantom also don't count because they are "spiritual dream worlds and just illusions". It doesn't even follow as the main point behind your argument is claiming it was all just perceptions and thus has no applicability to real energy. Something non evidenced.

You should prob go ahead and prove it's "flowery language". You're just making that claim despite the numerous instances of this theme being present throughout.

The reason portals were needed is because the dimensions were literally split apart and sealed by a strong magic.

I'd like to further note, that you saying it's Flowery language implies that:

-The space for the underworld always existed

-The demons were just there for fun

-so ALL of demonkind somehow got forcibly removed into this separate space that apparently always existed

Wow, Persona has absolutely nothing to do with this so it is irrelevant, and no, it isn't a literal dimension. It is a nightmare.

Secondly, yes. The whole series talks about sealing portals and barriers, not sealing or merging or spliting entire universes. Ever heard of the concept of Occam's Razor, which you don't seem to follow?

Matthew Schroeder said:
Wow, Persona has absolutely nothing to do with this so it is irrelevant, and no, it isn't a literal dimension. It is a nightmare.
Secondly, yes. The whole series talks about sealing portals and barriers, not sealing or merging or spliting entire universes. Ever heard of the concept of Occam's Razor, which you don't seem to follow?
A) it's Zelda, not Persona.

B) I'm talking about the Saviour, not Nightmare.

C) Not irrelevant because it's the same type of feat (Pocket dimension inside something much smaller)

D) Common sense dictates that universe splitting is actually more accurate. read the above.

> You should prob go ahead and prove it's "flowery language".

Let me post the exact same quotes I posted to you on the OBD:

• "Can't you feel it? The rage and agonies of people. Those who are confined here... with their desires of evil being unfulfilled... It was all because Sparda slammed the door to the Demon World in their faces.."
  • "His powers were sealed by Sparda, he's attempting to take control of the human world again. He has been preparing to open the gate on Mallet Island."
  • ""After two thousand long years, the one sealed gate to the demonic world will open."
  • "Long ago, in ancient times, a demon rebelled against his own kind for the sake of the human race. With his sword, he shut the portal to the demonic realm and sealed the evil entity off from our human world."
Mundus opened a portal, Sparda's sword shut said portal. The end. No universal merging involved here.

I wasn't even responding to you, Zephyros, but it is nuts that you actually think Splitting a Universe requires less assumptions than making portal barriers.

Uhm yes? You are arbitrarily choosing that "nightmares" are illusory and have no direct correlation to an actual energy thus making it "invalid". You have yet to substantiate your claim. The description literally tells us it's an actual dimension. The reason I bring up Persona has to due with external consistency of the site. Palaces are literally cognitive manifestations, in a spirit world that recreate real life locations into more spectacular dimensions.

The mirror world is literally doing the same thing and basing the enemies you encounter on mental thoughts from the victim. So substantiate your claim "it isn't a dimension", and elaborate on "it's a nightmare" and why that somehow makes it not a dimension, despite ya know.

Devil May Cry, Enemy File — Nightmare: "When you are surrounded in its gel-like form, you will be teleported into an evil dimension. You must defeat the evil spirits that rule the dimension. The evil is a reflection of Dante's trauma that rests in his subconscious."

And you want to talk about occam's razor?

benbecauMatthew Schroeder said:
I wasn't even responding to you, Zephyros, but it is nuts that you actually think Splitting a Universe requires less assumptions than making portal barriers.
because going by your assumption actually makes less sense.

So yeah SS to MSS+ is the most apt scaling. Universal stuff requires some assumptions but is bolstered by word of god, and I have no idea what is trying to be said about that multiversal stuff so I will leave that to others to talk about. Never played that game.

alright well

I guess I have to go back through this but

1. In order for the universes being together to be flowery language, you would be implying the Underworld had a space that already existed, and all of demonkind was just inexplicably on Earth. Also, despite no one actually showing this level of hax, ALL demons were affected by the seal Sparda made, and it ONLY worked on demons, rather than the Underworld and the real world being merged then divided returning their respective parts back to each other.

Remember, the existence of portals and such do not inherently destroy the argument. The two can coexist.

2. The Nightmare stuff is already addressed in there. The evil spirits were created by cognition, NOT the entire dimension, (the quote says you are sent to a dimension and the evil spirits are created from Dante's mind, two separate ideas, not that this entire world is fake and never existed, that is unfounded) and even then, they are very real. You can interact with them.

3. Demon names are their true form, outright said to be literal. Would be meaningless otherwise, but that is not the case.

4. The only thing that should determine canon is whether something is outright stated to be non-canon, or if it is contradictory in nature. Devil May Cry Volume 2 does not have that. Anything more than that seems like unnecessary scrutiny.

5. Savior's inner heavens are a thing, not sure what the problem is here really tbh.

Some of this was already stated there, the counters seem rather cursory.

So what if we can interact with the demons, it's obviously not literally happen. Demon Names and Mundus' name is outright stated to be allegorical. There is no statement that the novel is canon so we can't say it is, it's never referenced again either. You need to prove the positive statement, not revert the burden of proof and ask me to prove a negative. Savior's "Inner Heavens" are completely unquantifiable and likely not that big either.

Matthew Schroeder said:
So what if we can interact with the demons, it's obviously not literally happen. Demon Names and Mundus' name is outright stated to be allegorical. There is no statement that the novel is canon so we can't say it is, it's never referenced again either. You need to prove the positive statement, not revert the burden of proof and ask me to prove a negative. Savior's "Inner Heavens" are completely unquantifiable and likely not that big either.
The demons were confirmed created by Mundus, and you can interact with them. Saying "it's obviously not literally happen" is pretty blatantly desperate.

Show proof where demon names are allegorical. Because we have scans of them being literal.

There's no statement that homura tamura is canon but we still use it for 2-A PMMM

And you brought it up first, so i'm pretty sure you need to prove it first.

The only point here up for debate is Savior's inner heavens, and even that's cursory at best.

"There is no statement that Homura Tamara is canon but we still use it for 2A PMMM"

That's false, ridiculously false.

There is no evidence suggesting its not happening. You are literally teleported there, and when you make it out, you are no longer within the gel form. If you can interact with them, its real. Theres no evidence otherwise, or else the enemy file makes no sense.

Yes, demon names contain a hidden meaning, by definition, the fact that they are names that mean something is an allegory. And their names were stated to be literal. Once again, these two things CAN coexist.

There is nothing stating any of the games are canon to each other to be frank, if we take this to its logical conclusion, all pieces of media first need evidence in order to be considered canon. This was released alongside DMC2 and acts as a prequel, its the debut of the Uroboros Corporation, nothing suggests otherwise. I understand that that does not comply with normal debating razors and stuff, but canon, by nature, cannot really do that, unless we have a statement on something's canonicity, (which not even mainline entries in many franchises even have) ergo even sequels and stuff within a franchise being canon is dubious. Its like how Occam's Razor does not work for debates within the scientific community. (Speaking of, i dont think it should really matter when theres a claim with evidence for its canonicity while its non-canonicity has no such evidence. I made the claim, "its canon because these events do not contradict anything and it introduces stuff, it says the story will be continued in DMC2, etc." and the counterargument simply says "its not canon, you need evidence," but there is no evidence for the counter)

The Inner Heavens overlook a sunset during one of the first enemy encounters in the dice game.

"So what if we can interact with the demons, it's obviously not literally happen."

So what is not a counter argument. You do nothing to bolster your argument here and ironically (based on what you claim lower in your post) are assterting an empty claim as true.

The novels and manga were sanctioned by capcom, and clearly involves the games as a part of their internal canon. The burden of proof to claim they aren't canon is much more steep as that fact alone lends itself to being an offical product from the same company producing said games.

The burden of proof is on you and you haven't provided any actual claim. Furthermore, Mundus' feat is highly questionable and no universal shenanigans are going on with the Demon World sealing.

It was explained why the burden of proof is not on the pro-canon side, to progress, you should say why you believe it IS on the canon side, because there was most certainly evidence and a claim being made, all that needs to be seen is its validity.

Im not sure what you mean when you say no universal things were going on when the manga says otherwise, in its first page as well. I believe an NF thread also cited some sources that say the dimensions (sometimes the word universe was used as well, shows they are interchangeable) were merged. The bodies of demons were used to make the seal between the worlds and it is indeed said to require a great deal of strength to do so. (Some wrong scans were used on accident in the original post but I believe they are there)

You aren't even arguing at this point. You are clearly ignoring arguments and refusing to counter them. Repeating the same thing is doing nothing for you.

You made a claim that they are illusory. Prove it.

I don't have to prove they are real because....we see them as a real phenomoena, and guess what the databook calls the place...dimensions that you are teleported to which obviously implies spatial transportation.

"Mundus feat is highly questionable" and goes on to say jack about how that is the case. It's a clear dimension creation feat with stars and Mundus has complete control over it. Confirmed to be such by the creator.

The burden of proof is on me to prove that officially liscensed extensions of canon, are indeed such? I don't think you know how the burden of proof works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back