• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Dimensional Storage vs Game Mechanics

Something that's frustrating me about Hammerspace is the exact qualifications for having it. Or rather, what defines the boundary between Hammerspace and Game Mechanics.

Do we just give it to any character with an "Inventory"? Do we give it to any character that inexplicably carries an absurd amount of items with no visible storage? Do we give it to any character that whips a large object out of nowhere with no indication of it having been hidden on their person, created spontaneously, or summoned from somewhere else? Does the hammerspace have to be acknowledged in-universe?

For example, in Persona 5. Ren Amamiya carries around truckloads of treasure, healing items and equipment at all times during dungeon exploration, yet there is not a single mention of him having any kind of storage that allows him to freely carry that sort of weight around.

The items he carries are all acknowledged in universe as actually existing, even having story-beats dedicated to finding out how to acquire them. This includes equipment that varies from being as small as a knife to as large as a grenade launcher. There's also medicines he procures from the local clinic, as well as food and beverage that serve as recovery items that he learns how to make from his caretaker. He even obtains a unique ability that specifically allows him to locate and steal bucketloads of miscellenaous treasures to sell at a later date. All of the items he carries are acknowledged in-universe to be for the sake of preparation for dungeon exploration, but there isn't a single mention of HOW he actually carries everything around.

Would this qualify as Dimensional Storage despite not being referred to as such in the story?

An explanation or in-verse acknowledgement isn't needed to have it as an ability. Only the items themselves need to be acknowlegded (cutscene or whatever) on the character to conclude they have them in the hammerspace storage I think but I could be wrong.

The treasure Ren grabs can be as large as a massive crown or jewel, and he carries around all of his equipment at once with in-universe acknowledgement of the items.

I'd say it probably qualifies even if not directly stated.

It should only be given if it's explicitly mentioned to be such an ability.

I'd rather assume the characters uses some other ways to move around items that we don't get to see because gameplay than to assume they have ******* dimensional storage.

The problem is it's even present outside of just gameplay. For example, Morgana is stated to be capable of inexplicably carrying around miscellaneous items in the real world despite being a normal cat there. He also constantly whips out random items from nowhere, despite most of them being almost as big as himself.

There are also cases in-story with other characters, such as Akechi pulling out a large gun that was by no means hidden in his clothes, as well as characters consistently pulling their weapons out from seemingly nowhere as soon as battle starts despite them missing both in exploration as well as cutscenes. Not to mention when Joker took out his equipment to battle Caroline and Justine, despite being very explicitly unarmed mere moments before.

There's just too many cases of this sort of thing occurring.

If the impossibility of carrying such items is repeteadly mentioned, then it could maybe be fine.

But don't you clowns go around giving Dimensional Storage to any game character whose items are acknowledged.

Yeah, I do think it's pretty shaky, but it's literally the only thing that makes sense at this point. Part of why I made this thread.

@Saikou Time to randomly give this RPG character Dimensional Sto...oh right yeah.

We'll be sure to remember that.

Back