• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Disambiguation Pages

Promestein

Resurrection Lily
She/Her
VS Battles
FC/OC VS Battles
Retired VSB Bureaucrat
Note: This is a staff discussion. If you are not part of staff, do not comment on this thread

Should we start making disambiguation pages to deal with the many pages that share names, and the various different characters with the same names / different versions of characters?

I realize it'd take time to implement, but I believe it'd be a good idea, since the problem of finding the right page when you're searching a character is only going to get worse the more pages we get.

I think it's an okay idea. It's really a pain when i type and search up a name of a character or thing i want to go to but it ends up leading me to another that i don't want to go to...

And i fully agree on that it's going to get worse the more pages that have the same names as another gets made here.

This makes sense, but the problem is the amount of time and effort it'll take to implement these things.

That said, it's a very good idea for certain series (Looking at the Fate Series), so I'll be more than willing to pitch in.

Instead of making it some big, short-term project, it'd probably be better to make it a gradual long-term thing.

@Prom: Exactly my style of work. We can do this as time goes by and whatnot, not have to do something in a big project and in a short amount of time...

It's not like there is a rule against making them in the first place. It's just that nobody ever did to this point.

Still, something like this should be discussed among the staff given that it'd be pretty significant to make a bunch of new pages for this purpose.

I agree on Promestein with this. This is something that technically needed to be discussed with the rest concerning this matter...

Did it for you, Cross.

Anyway, I find it a good idea. When I look for the many Zero's, or Superman, or heck, even Rick, it takes time to know the right one.

Well, I do not mind, as long as it is a gradual long-term project, because it would be very hard to automatically find all of the pages that share a first name, beyond the obvious ones, such as Superman.

Alright.

I'll start working on some disambiguation pages, as a start.

@Promestein I suppose I'll make a category for Disambiguation Pages for easy searching then. I hope I don't screw up along the way though...

Well, looks like it has been resolved. Just a question: Should the pages be admin locked? Or we allow everyone to contribute to make it easier?

Partially locked is probably fine. It should only be Wikipedia-style lists of links to different profiles (possibly with brief descriptions), after all.

I was thinking it should have been admin locked at first but if partially locked is alright, then i can't deny that.

I would assume it is time to make some disambiguation pages (Gradually of course)@Lina

Hmmm, perhaps we should make a note on the main page regarding disambiguation pages, to teach old and new viewers that they now are in production/exist to help them find particular characters.

Also, I have made the Batman (Disambiguation) page.

Should there be one made for Mario? Was planning on making one anyways.

If not, we should focus making disambiguation pages of characters mostly from american comics, since they usually have different versions of the same characters anyways.

Would a page from Hulk and Green Lantern work?

@DontTalk I can add it to the community to-do-list, if you wish.

Back