• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Dragon Ball Super Discussion Thread 65: Because we still got the manga, the movie and the dub to discuss!

AKM sama

Waifu Connoisseur
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Human Resources
Anime and manga come and go. A few linger on for some time. Others have some memorable dialogues. Some remain popular for their high ratings and horde of trophies while the rest boast of formidable art and animation. Among this far-spread out sea, one tiny water droplet shines and stands out. Yes, I am talking about Dragon Ball.

GrampaGohanFindsGokuSpecial02

Started in 1984, the manga was a huge success in Japan. Then came DBZ and it became a global success. Finally it ended in 1995-97, or did it? Even though Akira Toriyama was done with it, the fans still kept it alive in numerous other ways.

Goku and bulma by ilyesgnei-d495eeh

Until 2013, when the immense popularity and the undying love of the fans brought it back. A new movie came out and was an instant success. It revitalised and rejuvenated the fandom and we knew DB was back. After the second movie a new DB anime, Dragon Ball Super, was announced and the fanbase went crazy over it.

Big 1516840141 image

I still remember how some of the early episodes of DBS took the vs debating platforms and turned them into warzones. The vs debating community exploded and there were riots everywhere. It is hilarious looking back.

Screenshot (24)5

Sure, DBS had many problems but it still came like a much needed breath of fresh air for the long time fans of DB, we all love it regardless of everything. Now it has ended but we all know it never ends...

DRAGON BALL IS HERE TO STAY.

20183219940 1

What did you like the best about Dragon Ball Super?

I'll be honest I really want Dragon Ball to die some day, sooner rather than later.

Like, the action format was enough to entertain the kids, but now that we're adults, we find out.....

T H E S T O R Y I S U T T E R G A R B A G E A N D G U R R E N L A G A N N S O L O S

Like, the lack of adaption to their growing up audience is just disappointing.

No suspense because people who die can just come back.

No character development because despite being like 52 at this point Goku is still a complete moron.

AND THE CROSSFIT LOSER GOHAN WHO FIXED THAT LAST PROBLEM WAS OVERSHADOWED BY THE FIRST PROBLEM COMING INTO PLAY TO JUST BRING GOKU BACK!

Sorry, just a DB rant. Let's be real, all things considered, it's not good. Not even Z was really good.

I've seen people, though only a couple thankfully, theorize that the original Super Saiyan God in the movie is from one of the universes that were already erased.

@DMUA

Sorry if I wasn't clear in the OP but the purpose of this thread was not to rant about DBS (we already do that a lot), but to be positive and optimistic for once and point out the things we liked about it.

Still.

The notion of Dragon Ball being here to stay annoys me to no end.

I really wish GT kept it's promise.... "This is the end of the Dragon Ball Story"

Oh well.

i personally don't care about others....for me dbs brought me back my childhood memories of db and dbz...some of the best things out of dbs that i am thankful for, are hit, zamasu, vegeta's character development, feats, and relevancy of past characters in top especially #17...

with the introduction of multiverse and so many new characters, the possibilites are endless for the future...db has so much potential now

The Univeral survival saga was probably my favorite arc. Simply because it had me looking forward anxiously to the next episode, something I can't say for many shows I watch.

I like how Saiyans are literally evolved for combat, with their Zenkais, Reactive Power Levels, Rage Boosts, Mimicry, and all that. But i wish they'd use Saiyan Power (Zenkai) much more.

In GT it also allows them to apparently bull**** their way out of specific moves.

Are there anyone can contact Toei , Toriyama and Toyotaro ?

I want to see how their reaction to Screwattack especially Goku lose against Superman for two times .

Quick name you're top 10 favorite Dragon Ball op/end! Mine are:

1. DBS End 10, a 70cm Square Window

2. DBGT Ending 3 Blue Velvet

3. DBGT Ending 2 Don't You See!

4. DB Ending 1 I'll Give You Romance

5. DBK Ending 2 Dear Zarathustra

6. DBK Ending 4 Galaxy

7. DBS Ending 9 Haruka

8. DBS Ending 8 Boogie Back

9. DBK Opening Dragon Soul

10. DBGT Op Dan Dan Kokoro Hikareteku

Oh, it's just a robot. About the whole dimensions thing, maybe the whole video is about dimensions and not the Characters.

It's good from 1-4 D (with the exception of all DB time lines sharing the same one), but why'd you bring it up here?

I'm pretty sure that's the same video where he called Goku Black 6D.

So.

Geova2507 said:
I dunno, I just wanted opinions and this is generally one of the most "busy" articles ovo
Not anymore. This will stay dead for now and rise from the ashes once in a while when some news about the movie or manga chapter drops.

AKM sama said:
Geova2507 said:
I dunno, I just wanted opinions and this is generally one of the most "busy" articles ovo
Not anymore. This will stay dead for now and rise from the ashes once in a while when some news about the movie or manga chapter drops.
The manga is still going on so these threads will probably stay somewhat busy. But I just watched the video above and am also curious what people think of it.

@DMUA

I'm sorry, I was going to ignore your comments above, but they are bothering me.

If you dislike Dragon Ball so much, then don't watch it. Your definition of good is not the end all be all fact. God forbid a show you dislike is popular. No DB doesn't have the best writing. It never has, the writing is not what sells the show. The series is fun to watch and read. People love the action scenes and people love the characters. That's why the series is still going. That's why the series sells well. It's not always about how good it's writing is. One can have the best written series in the world and said series could still only be as interesting as watching paint dry. You not liking the writing or the show by no means should mean the show should no longer continue. You don't need 10/10 storytelling to be a good series. There are many other factors

You say "lack of adaption to their growing audience", what do you mean by this. You mean no blood and simplistic plots? Simplistic plots have been apart of Dragon Ball since the beginning. And I believe the Goku Black arc was pretty damn dark for a "kids show". Even the Universal Survival Arc for first time watchers was pretty damn dark as you see all these people getting erased left and right.

Also you say no character development. So what the hell has Vegeta, 17 or Piccolo gone through? What did Jiren go through? Was it just a random personality shift? Hell even Frieza got development. So did Toppo. Goku in all honesty does not need development. His characters is much more complex than people give him credit for. He's more than just some bumbling idiot. He has depth contrary to popular belief. Also speaking of Gohan, people never really understands Gohan's nature. They just want Gohan to be this fighting machine when neither Toriyama NOR Gohan himself want that. Gohan wants to be a scholar. He never was a fighter at heart. So of course he gets weaker over time, he's doing what he has always wanted to do. He's living the life he's long wanted to live. Fighting isn't even in his mindset.

But good lord, wanting a series to end just because you dislike it is, to be blunt, an idiotic train of thought. It's downright disrespectful to the fans and creators as well. If Dragon Ball is gonna continue, then let it continue. If you dislike it, don't watch it and go about your daily life. But don't wish for it to end because you dislike it. That's selfish and rude.

Believe it or not, I really like Dragon Ball. Super, more or less, but Dragon Ball as a whole is very fun. I don't mind turning off my brain to enjoy this, because it appeals to my younger self who just wants to see awesome fights. I mean sure, it's no A:TLA or B:TAS, but it's good enough for millions of us to see the characters we grew up loving to continue their adventures.

Back