• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Based on the profiles for the magic school bus and ship of the imagination, edutainment profiles can be allowed. However, Adam Ruins Everything was banned for bordering on a joke profile. I am asking if the PBS educational show Nova would be allowed or not (It's High 1-C)

I mean, you would have to pconvince others that the verse has fictional characters who do feats worthy of having profiles made for them. For instance, the Ship of the Imagination has an actual fictional ship that does things.

It definitely has actual fictional characters despite it's educational nature. Even aliens. That being said the High 1-C character/reality warper is a fictional version of (not the writer/producer) a real person.

How about you make a profile for him and any other relevant character via a blog? That way othes might understand where you're coming from. It would also ive you the opportunity to receive direct and specific feedback, and if it is rejected for whattever reason, you could just post it on JBW.

Be sure to give a summary of the character in-story, justifications for feats, and justification for abilities.

Real people hosting a show with computer-generated special effects do not generally count as actual story characters as far as I am concerned.

Zach, dude, just make a profile with all the parts a profile should have, be extra sure that the profile explains the character's role in-verse, post that profile on a blog, and answer any questions. That is what will get you a page, not asking people to accept something they don't know about. You can't just make demands for something you have provided minimal context for.

Also, I advise you to change this thread's title to "Profiles for Nova, a PBS Educational Show." The current thread title makes it sound as if you're asking a general question. Getting a profile for a specific verse is a specific matter, not a general matter. After fixing the title, then go do the work of making a page and pitching it.

Well, I am personally uneasy with this sort of profile.

I agree, unless it's like The Ship of the Imagination, which actually does stuff. However, while I might just be out of the loop here, I have no idea what this character does or what its function in its verse is, so I'm not going to bother passing judgement either way until Zach bothers to give us more than just a link to a page with scarce details.

And, Zach? Really do go to the trouble of making an example profile page before asking anyone to go out on a limb for you. Let me know when you have done so for this matter, and I will give my opinion on it, if it would be helpful to anyone. I -- or anyone else, for that matter -- can't do anything until then.

Under "educational series" do you mean something like Emil und Pauline — an educational game series? If so, then I don't see any harm in adding it, because the game series was created by a full-fledged developer (United Soft Media) and published by a full-fledged publisher.

As I mentioned above, it depends on whether it is just a real person with CGI effects, such as Neil Degrasse Tyson in Cosmos, or an actual story character.

Neil Degrasse Tyson should scale from the ship of the imagination since he piloted it. Then again Cosmos isn't really a fictional narrative but a documentary. Nonetheless, I will now go ahead and make a page for him. (he should be 10-B physically IRL)

I would much prefer if you do not, as I will have to delete it for violating our regulations.

Is a page for Dora the Explorer allowed? She actually has some interesting feats that could put her at least above tier 10 and with decent hax.

Wouldn't that fall into the same kind of category as Barney the Dinosaur and The Teletubbies? On the other hand, we do have a Thomas the Tank Engine page. I am not sure where exactly to draw the line.

Antvasima said:
Wouldn't that fall into the same kind of category as Barney the Dinosaur and The Teletubbies? On the other hand, we do have a Thomas the Tank Engine page. I am not sure where exactly to draw the line.
Well, let´s see what other users think.

Unlike Barney and the Teletubbies, she actually has fighted.

I actually don't mind it being here honestly. Personally I planned on researching a few kids cartoons myself to see if they would be accepted.

(For instance: Super WHY, Wild Kratts, and Wordgirl for instance are the main three I plan to do first)

The interesting thing is... We have accepted Profiles/Verses that aren't centered around combat before... But can be used for combative purposes outside of the show's original premise But... What is the supposed tier 1 feat so we evaluate it's legitimacy before making the profile ?

Early on he states that "membranes" are 11-D objects and later on he crashes two of them together (said membranes exist outside the standard 10-D multiverse, and he could manipulate them and send messages across multiverses)

I'd like to note that nova is kid friendly but not directed at kids like the ones seed mentioned although I'm fine with both

Legit, what's so wrong with Barney and Teletubbies profiles? I can't speak for Barney but there's at least one good feat in Teletubbies with a lion roaring away some clouds. As long as we treat them like any other profile and not a meme, I see no issue.

Darkanine said:
Legit, what's so wrong with Barney and Teletubbies profiles? I can't speak for Barney but there's at least one good feat in Teletubbies with a lion roaring away some clouds. As long as we treat them like any other profile and not a meme, I see no issue.
I did this for Barney.

Barney is High 1-A, he scales to Rucka Rucka Ali who views platonic philosophy as fictio

On a more serious note, type 8 immortality seems fine but what abuot the others?

ZacharyGrossman273 said:
Barney is High 1-A, he scales to Rucka Rucka Ali who views platonic philosophy as fictio
On a more serious note, type 8 immortality seems fine but what abuot the others?
Well, for 1, he never ages, I may remove it and put longevity instead, and for 3 is because he has mid-godly regen.

ZacharyGrossman273 said:
...I mean his other abilities, how does he have mid godly Regenerationn?
Well, sometimes the kids erase Barney from existance and then Barney comes back.

I think that I should just remove it and make it another layer of type 8 (reliant on his own doll).

Okay.

Now I need to add a picture of his doll to his profile, I hope the users don´t mind for a request to cut a bit from the picture...

Darkanine said:
Well, the problem is that Barney was inevitably treated in a completely non-serious manner, with an unreliable profile and lots of following joke matches, and the Teletubbies are much the same way.

Dora the Explorer might be fine though.

I find that arguing for how people would use the profile isn't a good reason at all to consider if it would be legit or not. I honestly think people would rather have serious debates (as in, actually using the stats) with those characters than spam memes.

Especially since this seems like a really arbitrary decision, deciding which one is okay and which one is "too memey".

Well for one thomas the tank engine was initially treated as a meme on here and wanked to oblivion when it was first made, yet it has remained. And then i remember Barney was rated 3-C for talking to a bunch of kids about stuff where no physical feat happened. This was all done by some dude who's now banned.

I guess it all depends on how "memey" a character is that attracts the "class clown" type of people, certainly has no bearing on whether it is an actual meme or not.

Well, I suppose that it is possible that a Barney profile could be acceptable as long as it would be written in a serious non-exaggerated fashion.

Back