• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Extremely important information about our upcoming forum migration

Status
Not open for further replies.
@TOAAPRESCENCE1

I have done that many times, my preferences are set just as Ant said, I don't have emails disabled and my email is confirmed yet I'm still not getting any, also I checked to see if I marked Fandom as spam and I didn't...

So I have no idea really...

Yes, but only in the Fun & Games forum, the General forum, and the Versus threads forum. Other than that, only the rule-violation reports thread and the information threads about the migration itself should remain open.

... so, starting tomorrow, I can go wild with threads?

Eheheheh.

Tell me when you start, I'm intrested.

Starter Pack said:
This has been a long time coming. Let's hope we can all remain civil about this, and that the forum move can be as painless as possible.

I personally am still concerned about the prospect of linking the matches to the new forum, since they likely won't be displayed the same way as they are now. But, if it can't be helped, then I won't make a fuss.
There is a logical standard redirection process, so each discussion thread link is easy to modify so it redirects to the backup version in the new forum, but there will still be a lot of work to manually update all of our wiki profile pages with matchup results so they link there instead. It is important that we all collaborate to handle this project at some point after the forum move, but not yet.

Final question:

If someone confrims the email on their mobile device.

Would they be able to sign in on their PC?

Dusty Raider said:
When you said that you needed to be active for the last 2 years. Does that mean people who joined a year ago for example won't get a email or am I reading this wrong?
No, it means that members who haven't visited here since 2017 (for example) won't get the email.

Moritzva said:
... so, starting tomorrow, I can go wild with threads?

Eheheheh.
Not too wild, and again, only in the allowed forums, and with the knowledge that information past April 15 likely will not get backed up.

DemonGodMitchAubin said:
Really hope I manage to get that email, haven't been getting any emails from Fandom for a while now, otherwise it's good to know we have a date for the move, thanks for all your work Ant
No problem. You should go here for information about how to properly set up your email settings: https://vsbattles.com/vsbattles/3983211

DemonGodMitchAubin said:
@TOAAPRESCENCE1

I have done that many times, my preferences are set just as Ant said, I don't have emails disabled and my email is confirmed yet I'm still not getting any, also I checked to see if I marked Fandom as spam and I didn't...

So I have no idea really...
As long as you have the settings that I use and displayed in an image, you will not automatically get regular emails from Fandom (due to new edits to subscribed pages and the like), but you will be able to get specific letters from their community support, which should mean that the invitation message works fine as well.

Also,

Are creation of pages allowed before the move?

MistaClean said:
Final question:

I don't see why that would be a problem.

CalebTB12 said:
Will we still be able to edit/create pages during the transition period?
No, only the wiki staff should be able to do that, or I and other staff will become so overwhelmed with work that we cannot properly focus on the migration itself.

Antvasima said:
MistaClean said:
Final question:

I don't see why that would be a problem.
Like, can a person use the fourm on their PC when they confrimed the Email on mobile?

Imaginym said:
Blogs, even those of inactive users will be imported, right?
We are thinking of copying and importing the blogs later, and write them in the new forum in the future, but it is not our first priority.

Like, can a person use the fourm on their PC when they confrimed the Email on mobile?

Yes, why would it be a problem?

DemonGodMitchAubin said:
Thanks for some clarification Ant, truly thank you for all the hard work you do for us
No problem.

No. They'll not be affected.
So we can just keep working on stuff in them no prob, right? After the migration this site will remain the same except for the forums, correct?

Well, Fandom is severely updating the system that all wikis run on. The forums disappearing is largely a side-effect of that, so it won't be exactly the same, no, but I don't know how much I am allowed to say regarding that, given my NDA, so you have to read the recent blogs at Community Central to learn further information about this.

Anyway, I have to do several hours of edit-patrolling now, and then go to sleep, so I cannot continue to respond here until tomorrow. My apologies.

Ah, is that so? In one of the previous threads you said the blogs would be safe and that only the forums and message walls are getting the yeet. Welp.

The blogs are safe as far as I am aware. However, we are considering to copy them to the new forum as well later on, to simplify our work.

What if you're relatively new, have a confirmed email, but have less than 100 edits?

Antvasima said:
The blogs are safe as far as I am aware. However, we are considering to copy them to the new forum as well later on, to simplify our work.
I think that would be worthwhile. Even if blogs are not deleted on VSBW, it'd be worthwhile to further preserve blogs, as some are very important to some 'verses.

Hmm, is it not possible to lessen this disruption by essentially exporting the forums twice, so we don't lose any data? One export done around now, and the other export done once the new forums are set up and have the old export brought in?

BloodyBloodwork365 said:
I'm a bit confused by all this. Why are the forums being changed/moved? Are the wikis being deleted? What's happening?
Fandom's removing the forums from all wikis, including this one, and replacing it with Discussions. So if we don't create a new one, it'll go to Discussions which doesn't work with how we do things.

All of those are included, yeah.

What does it mean by removing forums? I'm not a FANDOM expert, but can't the forums just be renamed as Discussions?

Also now that I think about it Ultra Z Battles IDK has forums anyway...

Sera EX said:
What if you're relatively new, have a confirmed email, but have less than 100 edits?
We will likely have to invite them manually via the private wiki chat instead. The limit was placed there to avoid automatically inviting hundreds of troll accounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back