• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Game Mechanics or Not?

LordGriffin1000

Awakened after 1000 years
He/Him
VS Battles
Administrator
In games like The Elder Scrolls, Final Fantasy and other games some enemies are not effected by some abilities like the Death Inducement in Final Fantasy or the Illusion Spells in Elder Scrolls Skyrim.

It usually says "No effect" or "This enemy resisted said attack" and so on. My question is do we actually give characters resistance to abilities if it says things like this or do we treat this as Game Mechanics like the Game developers didn't want you to just cheat your way to victory spamming the Death move Final Fantasy?.

There is a difference tho in Skyrim as it would say "This enemy is to strong to be effected" and also says "This enemy resisted [Said Illusion Spell]".

Thoughts?.

Depends on the context. That Skyrim example sounds pretty legit, and raid bosses like in destiny have a reason to pop up with "immune" upon attempted had/damage story wise.

I think it is resistance unless it makes no sense (say someone who got affected in lore completly resists it).

Yeah, its an excuse to make it more challenging, but its not any less aplicable than asspull resistances

I don't see why Game devs making it that way would stop it from qualifying for a resistance. If GOW 4 had enemies that could move in time stop because the devs didn't want to make the weapon too strong for game, those enemies would still have resistance to time stop.

I think it's ok if it makes sense in context and isn't contradictory to anytbany, though it could also just be considered subpar hax that is more a weakness for the wielder.

Back