• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Garfield speed downgrade

Okay. Feel free to remove that then. Just please make sure that it is all that needs to be adjusted in the page.

I was informed Garfield's profile is being decomposited, in spite of the numerous media he appears in? Are there reasons other than a lack of statistical consistency? Is the statistical inconsistency only in speed?

Do books count? Because in the book "Garfield: His Nine Lives", Garfield displays a legitimate intelligence feat, where he goes up against a galactic war fleet and would have won if his weapons were better.

@Imaginym

Well, composite profiles should preferably be avoided unless absolutely necessary, due to easily making the statistics and powers and abilities sections very exaggerated compared to the regular versions of the characters, but I suppose that this may be a borderline case that is not so harmful. On second thought, I am uncertain in either direction, so input is appreciated.

Since the profile being a composite is completely unneeded, I don't see why we would. As said, Gar has many distinct canons, and having it as a composite accomplishes nothing really besides making the cat vastly stronger and haxier then normally portrayed.

Okay. Those are good points. So, can we finally finish the intended revisions then?

BigSmoke4269 said:
Do books count? Because in the book "Garfield: His Nine Lives", Garfield displays a legitimate intelligence feat, where he goes up against a galactic war fleet and would have won if his weapons were better.

I meant comic book, but he's done in a cartoonish way regardless. Ok? So is the other composite profiles made, literally none of them are a necessity.

Not to try to spam or anything, but...

BigSmoke4269 said:

he shouldn't be able to scale to his other counterparts in intellegence because were talking about the main garfield we follow in the comics not any of his ancestors

They are not his ancestors. They are past incarnations. Also, Garfield has stated that his previous lives have made him who he currently is.

Formerlife
He can't remember the incident itself, but since everything Garfield is now will make up what he is the next life, he still has the mental capacity to preform the same actions.

I think that we can only scale from his current incarnation.

In any case, Looney Tunes characters have composite profiles because it is impossible to form a coherent canon for them. That is not the case with Garfield.

It seems to have a few defined canons, with some measure of continuity within them.

Because experiences and skills do not tend to automatically exactly carry over between incarnations within fiction.

In addition, as far as I understand, this was not a part of the regular comic strip.

I still don't understand the decompositing.

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Alternative_Canon_and_Composite_Profiles

"The regulations here are less complicated.

Composite profiles should generally only be given to extremely prominent well-known characters with multiple incarnations, and these should only go by their own highest statistics. That means that external weapons and power-sources, that are not a normal part of their arsenal, should be excluded.

This type should preferably be gauged on a case-by-case basis, and you should first ask the staff if it is acceptable to create one.

It can also be justified if a certain fiction has multiple spinoffs of dubious canonicity, for which quantifiable feats are scarce, such as most Pokémon and Digimon characters. It should preferably be limited to franchises that actually need it for sufficient scaling, if the different versions are too dispersed and incoherent to make a clear picture of individually"

• Garfield is definitely well-known.
  • I'm not sure how exactly "multiple incarnations" is defined, but most incarnations of Garfield are the same character, personality-wise & the supporting cast tends to be similar/identical. Jon, Odie, maybe Liz, Nermal, etc. Without looking in-depth to it, I'd also doubt how many of them portray him with feats outside of the 10-C to 9-B range.
  • While I don't doubt that some of them could be so, which Garfield spin-offs ARE of dubious canonicity with scarce quanitifiable feats?
  • I'd assume many Garfield portrayals have "dispersed and incoherent" statistics.
And yes, a Composite Garfield is stronger than most versions via higher statistics or more diverse abilities, but from the page linked above:

"these should only go by their own highest statistics"

Going by that, I don't think it's wrong for a Composite version of a character to be stronger than the other incarnations.

@Antvasima: You stated that:

"Looney Tunes characters have composite profiles because it is impossible to form a coherent canon for them. That is not the case with Garfield."

I don't agree nor disagree, but, I would like to know how this is true. I'm a bit skeptical.

Well, you likely have a good point. I am currently neutral towards keeping the composite profile the way it is then.

@Antvasima: For the sake of establishing a stance, as it is currently, I feel I'm the same, if only because I don't think I understand the basises to decomposite Garfield.

With a better understanding of what's being referred to as to why to decomposite him, I might take a stronger stance, but for now, I'd say I'm neutral, leaning keeping it Composite. (Because I don't understand why to support the opposition, which proposes Decompositing.)

Garfield states that everything he was in his previous lives makes up who he is today. So, going by that, everything Garfield is today will make up who he is as Space Cat in the future, who, as we know, would have beat an entire war fleet if his weapons were better. I'm not saying any physical traits would carry over (apart from being an orange cat in every life), but his mind and spirit would.

Well, I am uneasy with statistics upgrades that do not come from regular continuity, but if we keep the profile as composite, I suppose that you have a point.

Back