• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Night-king-1014167
Tw3 Geralt of Rivia newest render

VS

All has fallen, the lands have been decimated by the army of the White Walkers. Only one hope remains for the future of mankind, Geralt of Rivia, the White Wolf. The greatest threat to humanity will be his greatest battle.

A one-on-one battle to the death (though the Night Walker can use his ability to resurrect corpses as this is a decimated land). Who wins?

Note there are a lot of unknowns in this battle that make it interesting in my opinion. Firstly, whilst the Night King has better quantifiable raw power plus the ability to turn the dead to his advantage, Geralt has speed, experience against things way outside of his weight class along versitilty. Also, it seems that within A Song of Ice and Fire the only thing that is capable of killing White Walkers are Dragonstone weapons, which begs the question would Geralt be capable of killing the Night King? Geralt's Silver Sword has been shown to damage supernatural monsters, but would the same be true of the Night King?

I'll leave this to the judgement of everyone, discuss away

I'm siding with the Night King for now, since it's questionable that Geralt could kill him, but the Night King could kill him with what he has. Geralt could certainly last a long time though.

What would make this fight more interesting to me is if Geralt was given a dragonglass dagger, but not told it could kill White Walkers.

In my humble opinion,

Geralt can take this. I'm not saying it's gonna be easy. But while the Night King may be in command of magic that can resurrect the dead, I don't really know how powerful he is in terms of sheer combat skill and destructive abilities. So far we've mostly seen the Night King scowl menacingly from atop his undead steed. Sure, his icy spear of Longinus have the powers to kill dragons, but it's not like Geralt's gonna just stand there and take it. More on that later.

Judging by feats, Geralt has a shit ton of accomplishments to reference. From books, to video games (which we're allowed to draw from, judging by discussions on game verse in this forums). His kill list range anywhere from giants, trolls, vampires (high and low), powerful sorcerers, sorcerer kings, wizened elves, elementals like golems and leshens, ghosts, to basically any other monsters that myths and fantasy can come up with (including dragons if you choose that path in the second game).

What are the dead in GoT most afraid of? Fire. What is it that Geralt can shoot out of his fingers? What do you know..fire. Let's see what else he has at his disposal. Quen or (Heliotrope from the novels) can protect him from glancing blows and projectiles, Yrden can slow down (or electrify) the dead warriors should they try to surround him, or he can use Aard to blow them back. Axii may not be able to control the dead like the living, but what if it can temporarily weaken the control of the White Walkers? Turning them into confused, aimless corpses for a few precious seconds.

Physically, Witchers aren't monstrously strong, but what they do have is durability/survivability thanks to improved healing factors, above peak human speed (easily faster then eye movement without potions), coordination, as well as stamina. Let's not forget that as a Witcher, Geralt has undergone and survived more mutations than other Witchers potentially giving him superior (albeit slight) physical attributes than most of his kind. This allows Geralt to consume higher concentrations and amount of potions to improve his combat abilities. The third game has even upped these abilities to include induced mutations that can further enhance his already impressive set of attributes, from augmenting his healing factor, improving his durability, enhanced stamina, enhanced damage, enhanced magical signs, etc.

In contrast, the army of the dead aren't much more impressive than a bunch of soldiers on a bloodlust. The White walkers, the ones who bring back the dead, are better but not by that much. They display superior physical strength than humans, and their weapons of ice can freeze and shatter objects upon contact, but at the same time, a skilled warrior can engage them in combat well enough. The boy who knows nothing Jon Snow managed to kill one by accident. Sure, Jon can fight, and he had a Valyrian steel sword, but he's nowhere near the skill of a Witcher, especially Geralt, considered to be one of the best swordsman in his verse.

One of the advantages the army of the dead have besides being hard to kill is that they are menacing and they inspire fear in the hearts of men. Normal men that is, but to someone like a Witcher, hardly a big deal. If Geralt encounters them, he's not gonna freeze, he's not gonna hesitate. In his long career, he has fought things that would make the undead and the White Walkers just another day's work.

Let's say the Night King is better than the other White Walkers, how? To what extent? Without resorting to assumptions, the honest truth is we don't really know since the only thing we've been shown (from TV and from all the books) is the fact that he was the first and the progenitor of most (if not all) his kind. Which incidentally, is also the Army of the dead's greatest weakness, because ending him may effectively end the war.

The Night King has interesting magical abilities for sure, but so does a host of sorcerers and magic wielders in the Witcher's world. That the Night King can control the ice elements (oooh), raise and rally undead armies (aaaah), or detect magical presence like Bran time-hopping (ho-hum) is nothing Geralt hasn't seen or experienced before. Why should we consider it more impressive than sorcerers who can summon elemental familiars and monsters, control weather, shoot fireballs, transmutate matter, teleport, or create physical illusions that can kill?

The Night King killed a dragon with a spear throw you say? While it was an impressive throw I'll give you that, it may speak more to the power of the weapon than the Night King himself. How many of those spears does he have at his disposal? How easily can he craft those? Can he pull them out of thin air or hammerspace? Yennefer and Triss Merigold can very likely shoot down a dragon by making fireball rains from the sky. An infantry soldier with a hand held missile launcher can too, I bet. The point is, the things the Night King has been seen doing in actual combat (the most impressive of which is Dracocide) is hardly something that would automatically mean a victory against Geralt, any more than the infantry soldier can beat Geralt because he happens to have a badass weapon.

Finally, let us not forget one of the greatest characteristics a Witcher has, which is their intelligent, strategic, and studious approach when it comes to facing monsters and unknown enemies. They are the Batman of the monster hunting world (Cue raspy voice, "I'm Batman"). Assuming Geralt has had time to study the White Wankers, he would have been more than prepared with an assortments of potions, bombs, and traps, which would further sway the odds in his favor.

How would he prepare? Maybe he would deck himself with Grapeshot Bombs filled with Dragonglass shards/fragments. Even without those, the bombs he already has at his disposal, like Dragon's Dream, or Dancing Star, are fire based weapons that can work in a pinch. Maybe his Dimeritium bombs can suppress the magic of the White Wankers. He can dope himself up the wazoo with his potions to improve his fire based magic, or his sword damage, or his durability. He has silver swords made of meteorite stone with magic cancelling properties as well, so who's to say for sure if it can't work like Valyrian steel against the White Wankers? Did I mention the Witcher swords can be embedded with Runes to give them magical properties to create say, a fire sword? Kindly move aside Berric Dondarrion..

In summation, Geralt is a mutant master swordsman and alchemist, with low level magic wielding abilities, who is bred for combat, with battle-tested cunning and intelligence forged from nearly a century of hard life experience. A legendary slayer by most fantasy standard, made insignificant only by the likes of Vampire Hunter D (who's practically a god and OP mofo that can kill anything with one blow, but let's not get into that).

Geralt is as adept at fighting physically as he is dealing with things of magical or metaphysical nature. He has lifted curses big and small, successfully neutralized diverse magical phenomena, and dealt with things from beyond his world. Geralt has bested in combat the likes of Eredin and Imlerith, who are in many ways superior to himself, and either of these elven warriors could scatter the zombies of winter like paper soldiers. I have no reason to believe the Night King can do better than these powerhouses. The Night King isn't the biggest threat Geralt has faced in his career. Not by a long shot.

I base my arguments as someone who has read 5 Witcher books, played all three games to completion, read all the Ice and Fire Saga up to Dance with Dragons, and watched all the currently aired TV episodes. From all of that, I came to the conclusion that: The Night King, insofar what we've been shown, while fearsome to mere mortals, isn't really that impressive in the context of what Geralt has faced before (drawing from both the novels and games). Hence, it is well within Geralt's ability to handle.

If Geralt was ever summoned to Westeros to fight the Army of the Dead, the bards and the ****** would be singing praises of the White Wolf's prowess from the Southernmost taverns of Dorne to the Northernmost Halls of Winterfell, and possibly across the Narrow Sea too.

If he joined the Kingsguard or Night Watch, he'd be Lord Commander. If he joined the Faceless Men, he'd be the one carving faces. If he joined the Dothraki, he'd be Khal of Khals. If he joined the Unsullied, he'd be the only one with his dick and balls still attached.

"Winter is coming?" "Bitch please, I've seen the White Frost."

Valar Morghulis Night King. Yours will be at the hand of Geralt of Rivia.

Because Geralt is a badass.

It is known.

While i think Geralt could put a good fight from what i know of him (from 1 book and 1 game only) i don't see him winnig this.

The spear that was used to kill Viserion is indeed magical but the NK still thew it with enough force to fly at extremely high speeds and pierce Viserion.

The only problem for Night King is that he will have a hard time hitting Geralt due to the speed difference but Geralt doesn't have anything strong enough to destroy NK.

Gwynbleiddd said:
The only problem for Night King is that he will have a hard time hitting Geralt due to the speed difference but Geralt doesn't have anything strong enough to destroy NK.
I have two observations regarding this analysis

If the Night King has trouble hitting Geralt and Geralt can't kill the Night King as you assumed, then the outcome of the battle would be inconclusive, not a win for the Night King.

Also, out of all the methods and techniques Geralt has at his disposal that I've listed, you don't see a single one of them that would work against the Night King?

Why do you think that?

Wights are vulnerable to fire the night king isn't a wight he is a white walker and the only thing that can actually kill him are dragon glass and valyrian steel

NLF to say they are the "only" things.

Pretty sure that Geralt's silver swords, as "weapons forged from a rare material that can be used to kill monsters and undead when normal weapons can't" would be equalised to the level of valyrian steel swords seeing as they are also "weapons forged from a rare material that can be used to kill monsters and undead when normal weapons can't"

Valyrian steel is magical while Silver swords are used because the monsters in The Witcher are weak against it, there is no correlation between the two.

@Anasurimbor Kellhus I'm voting for inconclusive because NK still has a chance (ableit low) to hit Geralt and after a prolonged battle these chances will only increase as Geralt will get tired and his potion will add to the strain after a while.

Monarch Laciel said:
Pretty sure that Geralt's silver swords, as "weapons forged from a rare material that can be used to kill monsters and undead when normal weapons can't" would be equalised to the level of valyrian steel swords seeing as they are also "weapons forged from a rare material that can be used to kill monsters and undead when normal weapons can't"
His silver swords don't one shot monsters though. Valyrian steel is basically OHKO for white walkers.

Gwynbleiddd said:
Valyrian steel is magical while Silver swords are used because the monsters in The Witcher are weak against it, there is no correlation between the two.
In the Witcher lore, Silver swords are not made of pure silver, that would make them too soft for any use. At its base, it is forged like their steel counterpart. Its center is a steel core made of meteorite ore. This bit of lore has been included in the 3rd game because they use meteorite ore as one of the ingredients necessary for forging Witcher swords.

After the steel core has been coated with silver, it is inscribed with runes to counter magical properties as well. The only difference between the books and the game is that, in the books, Geralt uses silver only on monsters that are specifically susceptible to silver. Creatures with harder bodies can be fought with steel swords just the same. A sword is a sword after all.

The point is this, what makes both Witcher swords and Valyrian steel special is not so much their material, but the process by which they are created. Both serve well against magical entities or forces. So it all comes down to who really gets to decide whether or not the rules of one universe applies to another as well.

Sparda 20000000 said:
Wights are vulnerable to fire the night king isn't a wight he is a white walker and the only thing that can actually kill him are dragon glass and valyrian steel
Let's say that's the case, so who would you favor as the victor in this hypothetical match up?

Monarch Laciel said:
I agree. In your opinion, what are the chances of Geralt taking this fight?

The night king geralt has nothing that could put him down fire can't hurt the night king and white walker can destroy swords that aren't made from valyrian steel

Sparda 20000000 said:
The night king geralt has nothing that could put him down fire can't hurt the night king and white walker can destroy swords that aren't made from valyrian steel

Fair enough. Though that's with the assumption that Geralt's silver swords can't do anything against the Night King. Also, I'm curious why you think that the Night King is immune to fire? I've never seen anything to that effect in the show let alone the book.

What if we took preparation into account? In the opening post, it said nothing about Geralt being suddenly surrounded and **********. And since one principal characteristics of Witchers is that they always prepare for a fight against monsters, I wrote a scenario in my argument post detailing how Geralt can prep against this battle.

What then? Would it still be the Night King? This question goes to everyone btw.

When ever a white walker gets close to fight the fire dies down

The night king isn't in the books he is a show only character

The night king isn't just a mindless monster he does have intelligence as the very first white walker in existence he would have combat experience

Sparda 20000000 said:
When ever a white walker gets close to fight the fire dies down
The night king isn't in the books he is a show only character

The night king isn't just a mindless monster he does have intelligence as the very first white walker in existence he would have combat experience
I concede that White Walkers have displayed an ability to put out fire, though whether it means they are immune to it I still find questionable. The logic is this, the effect fire and ice have on each other goes both ways. If ice is cold enough it can put out fire, but the opposite is true, if a fire is strong or hot enough it can melt the ice. But we'll just have to leave this as assumptions.

The Night King isn't in the books because the book hasn't reached that point yet. Though in the books, there are references to a character called "The Night's King" which legends says used to be a member of the Night Watch who became an undead of sorts, but it's not necessarily the same character as the TV show. Since we are referring to the Night King from TV, he doesn't exactly have a lot of demonstrable feats.

Finally, I know that the Night King isn't a mindless monster, I just fail to see how this answers my previous question of how he would fare against a prepared Geralt. While so far we've been discussing the effects of fire, it is hardly the only thing in Geralt's disposal. I didn't even mention the possibility of Geralt having a valyrian steel weapon for fear it might make the combat way too easy.

The night king and the night's king are two different characters

Night's king the 13th lord commander of the night's watch married a female white walker

Night king the very first white walker

i'm going to say inconclusive as there are to many assumptions like if geralt's silver sword could actually do damage to the night king

Changing my vote to inconclusive as well. It entirely depends on the Night King being able to resist Geralt's attacks, and we have too little knowledge on the NK to know that.

I noticed that the majority of the reason for voting inconclusive stem from the assumption that the Night King is so durable that he can't be killed by any other means than valyrian steel and dragonglass. I admit I'm new to these kinds of forums and discussions, but just because something is said to be vulnerable "only" to something specific, does it really mean that it can't be defeated or destroyed by any other means?

Also, I may be wrong, but most of the arguments made so far doesn't seem to take into account the possibility of a Witcher actually actually prepping for the fight, which would logically mean that Geralt would've studied the lore of the Night King and his undead posse, as is his usual modus operandi, and planned the battle accordingly. As I've mentioned before, even if he didn't have access to Valyrian steel (because they're understandably rare), what's stopping him from making grapeshot bombs filled with dragonglass shards (which is a substance more readily obtainable) ?

I respect everyone's opinion and I'm not trying change anyone's mind. I just personally think that with the various possible scenarios of how this fight could play out, to say that Geralt has no means to defeat The Night King seems like a stretch longer than Wun Wun's dick :)

Well, it isn't said if the characters can prepare, so standard battle assumptions dictate that neither of them know anything about the other character. This definitely hurts Geralt's chances. Wether Geralt could or could not kill the Night King (steel swords literally shattering simply upon contact with their skin points to some pretty good durability, among other things) is the question though, which is why I say inconclusive, because there has been no showcase of anything other than VS/Dragonglass even bothering them. But it doesn't mean it's impossible.

So I was studying the rules and policies to get a better understanding of how things are done (I'm new to vs forums in general), and in the section Standard Battle Assumptio there is the rule of verse equalizatio which essentially reads that powers of similar characteristics from one universe should be considered to have similar effects on the other universe, though it can be discussed on a case by case basis.

I find this highly relevant because by this rule, it would seem to me that Geralt's Witcher swords (especially the silver ones) could potentially affect the Night King. I have made previous posts explaining why those swords have magic cancelling properties, and why they are special by virtue of how they were created. It would be reasonable to assume then that the effect of his swords could be equated to Valyrian steel. This would go a long way in putting to rest any doubt of Geralt's ability to harm the Night King, as so far his durability (or perceived invincibility) seems to be the main crux of any argument.

I would be grateful if someone (preferably an impartial moderator) can tell me whether it is okay for me to make this assumption. If I'm wrong and have misunderstood the implication of verse equalization, I would like to know why for this case specifically.

That's usually how it works, and it may actually work in this case, but I'm not sure.

First off, this 'only certain swords can kill the Night King' argument is a load of crap. Valyrian steel or not, the absolute best thing you can truthfully say in his defense is that he's never met anyone strong enough to cut through him with a blade. (Which, when you say it that way, makes perfect sense in the context of him having only ever directly fought Athletic/Peak Humans in the show's run thus far)

Secondly, are we going to ignore the fact that Geralt has basic magic on his side? His Signs give him several means of clearing out any White Walker minions that come his way (fire and telekinesis being the most effective by far), and also make it so that he really doesn't have to reach melee range in order to engage the Night King himself. He has multiple forms of mind control which (while not effective against the dead) have effects that would physically disable the NK, and he can slow NK and every other White Walker down to a crawl with Yrden. Also, judging from the profile, the Quen Sign at its best should be capable of taking any of the corpses' attacks and converting them into regenerative power. (I'm not sure if the Regenerationn on his profile refers to an actual healing factor of his own, but if it does, that just makes it worse)

Night King is going to have to engage Geralt himself, and honestly, I see the Witcher winning in a 1v1, especially with far higher versatility on his side. Voting Geralt.

"he's never met anyone strong enough to cut through him with a blade"

That's... Not how it works. If a blade instantly shatters upon contact with the physical skin of a White Walker, strength won't cut it (pun not intended). The material itself either won't damage the skin or only dent it a little before breaking. Unless we assume that verse equalization gives Geralt's silver sword valyrian properties, in which case Geralt should win, you absolutely cannot call that argument a load of crap. It's true.

"If a blade instantly shatters upon physical contact with a White Walker's skin--"

Uh, what? Blades don't shatter when they hit their skin. They only shatter when they hit their ice weapons. Why do you think the White Walker who fought Jon Snow and the wildling (whose name I'm blanking on right now) was avoiding getting hit by their swings? I mean hell, the wildling was swinging a normal axe, and when Jon got disarmed, he just grabbed a random blade from somewhere to use.

Even then, that doesn't nullify Geralt's TK, which could likely be used to harm the Night King without the need to swing a blade.

Also, before anyone asks 'well, what happens if Geralt's sword hits one of the Night King's ice weapons and shatters?', Geralt has two blades, and more than enough speed to avoid NK's attacks and draw his second weapon should that come to pass. More than that, this is assuming Geralt doesn't outspeed NK the moment he gets within melee range.

"Blades don't shatter when they hit their skin."

Season 3, episode 8. the exact same thing happened to sam's sword which happened to Loboda's axe, and Jon's sword that he picked up in Hardhome. Before you say "Well, the White Walker was squeezing the sword, so it only counts as a strength feat" steel swords don't shatter like that if you apply force to them. It was a magical reaction. (You could say this was different because the sword didn't shatter instantly, which would be a good point, but it's more of an inconsistency issue, seeing as the Walker stabbed by Sam took some time to disintegrate, while all other walkers killed after this point shattered instantly.)

And I think they were avoiding their swings because the Walkers like toying with their opponents, as is established in the books.

For all that scene entails, he could have simply used a form of his ice manipulation to achieve that effect. It didn't just explode the moment he caught it, and it certainly didn't strike his skin and shatter the way you're implying.

Still haven't said anything about the Wall level TK, also.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Keyword "could". He also could have pressed it against him to get it to shatter. As for not exploding the moment he caught it, I adressed that, but since the White Walker didn't explode either (all other instances of WW killings have shown that) It's more of an inconsistency issue than anything.

Not really an 'inconsistency' when the only other White Walker to die so far in the show got killed by a completely different weakness from the one that killed the White Walker attacking Tarly. The Valyrian steel blade shattered the Walker instantly, whereas the Dragonglass caused the other Walker to freeze and deteriorate. Fairly simple to see and understand.

Also, the fact that they've only ever been killed by weapons they're explicitly weak to doesn't mean they're outright immune to any other weapon. It just means they haven't been killed by anything of that nature yet. You can't say they're flat-out impervious to any normal blade just because one of them had a vague moment of shattering one with his hand.

The walker Meera killed died within a second, the one Tarly killed died within like 10 seconds. But you're absolutely right about the last part, that's what I've been saying if you read my above posts. "there has been no showcase of anything other than VS/Dragonglass even bothering them, but that doesn't mean it's impossible." They haven't been killed by anything else yet, but there's the problem. The NK has gotten more feats every season since season 4, and we sure haven't seen the last of him. At the moment there are too many unknowns to make a certain conclusion to this match, unless we assume Geralt's attacks can do this and that when we don't know, which is unfair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back