• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Gilgamesh (myth) upgrade and slight downgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah that’s what I was going to use for a lowball width, but it doesn’t matter if I don’t know what shape to even use for the area. I’ll look up shapes for a while and see if I can find one that matches.

it is roughly the shape of a cone, it's a triangle with a circular base, even if the top isn't pointed as a perfect cone would be

Actually looking back over the mountain again I now know what to do. I’ll get the length with the 45 degree angel stuff mentioned earlier. Then I’ll use the area of a triangle (3D one), since the mountain is mostly triangle like in the length side.

I would prefer to do the width since we don’t know which direction he split from, but I have zero clue which shape I should use for that calc, so length it is.

it is roughly the shape of a cone, it's a triangle with a circular base, even if the top isn't pointed as a perfect cone would be
If your referring to Dareaeper’s photos that’s not the mountain. If your referring to mine. The peak of the mountain is very wide, to the point I more think it comes off as a trapezoid than a cone.

Speaking of which I literally just remembered what a trapezoid is and I should totally use that for the area.

Edit: Nevermind, I don’t think that’ll work. I’ll do the calc now with the other way I was thinking of.

the calc will be really rough, but I don’t think it would be a massive deal.

Few things I want to say. It’s late where I live, and I don’t think the straightest when I’m tired, so sorry if I come of as rude, aggressive, or dumber than usual. Second thing is I did a rough calc and got country level results, so clearly I did that very wrong. Which brings me to the last thing: I would hate to ask someone else to calc the feat, but I clearly don’t know how to calc it, so preferably someone with more experience should calc it.

I will. Hope you guys have a good night. I think I’m getting close to calculating it right, I’ll just need some sleep.

Thank you to everybody who are helping out.

Ok I fixed the area a lot, though I’m still getting island level results (though very close to baseline). I’ll post my math now to see what I’m doing wrong.

Tensile strength of granite is 131 megapascals. The sheer strength is 0.6 times this.

I’m going to use 1 cm thickness for a lowball (since a thickness is never stated).

The book says “split the mountains of Lebanon. So I’m going to be using Mount Qurnat al-Sawdāʾ since it’s the largest. There aren’t many mountains in that region and it says he split multiple of them so this one being split is very likely.

Qurnat al-Sawdāʾ is 3088 meters tall or 308800 cm.

For the mountain length I’m going to use a method I’ve heard from DMUA. “Mountains are conical, and at about a 45 degree angle the height would be the same as the radius”

When I put this in calculator to check it lines up since I did get the height as the length, but I still find it strange.

Note: That is probably the part I am messing up.

So the length would be 308800 cm.
For the shape: thankfully Qurnat al-Sawdāʾ slopes down point pretty fast and linearly so I’m going to use a triangular prism (makes more sense if you see the mountain itself).

Since we now know the radius of the mountain and the height we can get the hypothenuse.

437000 cm for the hypothenuse.

I used this site for the triangular prism area: https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculators/geometry-solids/triangular-prism.php

Assuming the split is 1 cm that’ll give us an area of 126243000000 cm squared.

126243000000 * 131000000 * 0.6 * 1 equals 9900000000000000000 joules or 2366 megatons

Last edited:
Oh yeah, now I remember, the numbers all have to be in meters for this. Square meters, meters in length of Work, all that.

Now the results are 8-B, which makes way more sense. Also more consistent with the 8-C feat:

126243000000 cm squared is 126243 meters squared

1 cm is 0.01 meters

126243 * 131000000 * 0.6 * 0.01 equals 99000000000 joules or 23 tons of tnt

Kinda wondering if I should try to do the bull’s river feat. It sucks up a river and based off a dnd calc of a similar nature it would get decent results. Seems it would be consistent with the other feats too. Though for right now I think the feats we have are fine.

You can go for it, but, yeah 8-B is what I figured myself

I have noticed a slight flaw, nothing major this time. I realize due to the formula I used I should have used the diameter instead of radius. Since his isn’t a blog yet, I’ll fix that mistake and make this a blog.

New results is 35 tons of tnt. Slight improvement but nothing major.

Since DMUA has accepted the calculation, you can probably apply the result.

Thank you. Is there anything left to do here, or should I close this thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back