• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Give this character a powerset

The_real_cal_howard

Read my comic
VS Battles
Retired
This might be better on FC-OC, but...

This is a character I created, but I have literally no idea what powerset to give her. The most fitting is darkness manipulation, but three characters already have that.

Anyway, this is who she is.

The character in question's name is Lenore. She was a woman from Victorian England. She was murdered by her deranged lover, and her tragedy inspired the poem Porphyria's Lover. The experience left her understandably bitter and her spirit never passed on. She remained in a state of limbo/purgatory, only reaching the mortal realm when summoned, at the cost of souls for her to devour.

Her first encounter with the main protagonists (or at least the first two) is as the main summon of the lich known as Butler, very early in. Needless to say, she's an antagonist. After their defeat, she's not seen again (though he is) until another main protagonist accidentally summons her, and the massive soul count of the summoning weapon has her decide to be his familiar, and she mostly stays in the mortal world, much to the protagonist's chagrin. Everyone eventually grows on each other though, and she reforms.

Her initial (posthumous) personality is that of a remorseless, manipulative temptress. She's very confident in both, her skills and her beauty, to compensate for her frailness in life. She's also very...driven in wanting souls. Given she's only a really minor character at this time, that's all we know about her. After becoming a familiar, she does change over time. She is still a temptress and has low morals, but not antagonistic anymore. She's very leading, taking control of many situations she's in. She also, however, does become sort of like the team's older sister figure, as she had the appearance and maturity of a 31 year old. She's seductive, and enjoys teasing any male she's around, instead of making them her victims like she used to, as she has no need to eat souls anymore. She's not brutal (though she can be a bit of a dom), but she doesn't mind taking lives. She's also quite sarcastic. Think similar to Nico Robi.

In appearance, as said above, she's a 31 year old beauty. She has fair skin and long violet hair with it becoming yellow the farther it is down.

Poison goes well with manipulative temptress, I'd say.

Flower Manipulation: Can creates all kind of flowers out of nothing. Each flower has different effects.

• Rose: By using the vines of this flowers, the user can traps their victim and rendered them immobile. Not only that, any person who got trapped by the vines will have their will power to escape vanquished.
  • Jasmine: The aroma from this flower will makes anyone who inhales it becomes a mindless being as its aroma destroyed their very mind and consciousness.
Those are only example, I could go more if you wants to.

Since "Darkness would match her" but you don't want to use that, I'd probably go for Empathic Manipulation with her kind of character, and would center her powers around a combination of negative emotions and possibly matter/soul/mind manipulation (whichever you find more adequate for the setting you're writting). Where she would probably be capable of Manipulating said emotions for things such as self empowerment or creating constructs or summons, etc.

What she develops her powers towards is something I'd probably decide as the story progressed.

This would be my general idea in a more broad sense.

For example, if you combined Empathic with Matter she could do something like creating a fortress for her out of the materialized negative emotions of others if you want to get a mental picture of how this would look like, just think Black Omen rising.

I'm thinking something similar to what you all said. The potency of her powers will be dependent on the negative emotions of those around her. She'll have poison and blood manipulation, as liquid relates to the rain that's a motif on the story I linked.

Instead of maybe outright Darkness Manipulation, she has some sort of control over weather, causing environments to become dark and stormy. Great for setting a scene and visually fits the Victorian aesthetic IMO. I dunno about others, but when I picture Victorian, I almost always picture cityscape's and alleys on dramatic, stormy nights.

You could go for something stranger and harder to deal with, like "falling" If rainfall is an important part of her story, giving her the ability to control anything that falls would be interesting. I imagine it's kinda difficult to write stuff for though, so I suppose it isn't a great idea. Stealing someone's soul when they trip also sounds more humorous than actually threatening, so...yeah, maybe not.

Back