• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Goomba VS Koopa

Goombas in Paper Mario are actually more booksmart as shown bt Goombella and Goombario. In the main verse I'm pretty sure Goombas can pilot vehicles like the Koopas and in Mario & Luigi Captain Goomba was the miracle worker. I don't know why we have them as below average or whatever when them walking pff ledges is pure game mechanics. The Goombas and Koopas are prettt equal in intelligence as with other minions, but if you want to push it, the Goombas have more notable brainiacs than the Koopas unless you count Magikoopas as like the maximum potential of a Koopa, as they are stated to dedicate lots of time into learning spells.

That brings me to my next point: Is this all versions of a Goomba and Koopa in like a composite or are we just considering their basic forms? Because if so the Green Shell ones also walk off edges so again, intelligence is barely a notable advantage.

However, Goombas can spit things at people from SMRPG which means they actually have more range. But Koopa has perception manipulation via Mario Tennis Aces which definitely could **** a Goomba up, meaning they have a better top speed and definitely have the defenses via their shell, but Goombas also have transmutation in SMRPG if I recall and Koopas can actually lose their shells in games like Super Mario 64, SMW, and 3D World I believe? Plus, when stomped on, which is in character for a Goomba to do with a headbonk, they become incapacitated through either flipping onto their backs in Paper Mario which exposes their vulnerable side or theu tuck into their shell and can be BFR'd easily or thrown into a pit or lava or just endlessly bouncing against a set of walls or traveling in the direction they're thrown until they hit something.

So it's dependent on what you believe. A headbonk from a Goomba can pretty much make them easily dispatchable in many ways, and a Koopa's shell spin is telegraphed and also they rarely use it so that's pretty much not gonna matter too much. Overall, I'd say the Koopas have the better abilities, but then one Goomba could increase it's size seemingly naturally in New Super Mario Bros. DS and could cause trouble for Mario who needed a Ground Pound to deal any damage. So if we consider all of their abilities and arsenals a Goomba can just grow giant and literally stomp a Koopa via better overall stats except maybe travel speed.

So it's debatable. But I think a Koopa is too easily rendered unable to fight via a simple stomp or headbonk which is perfectly natural and easy for a Goomba to do. Goombas have also been equipped with power-ups many times so would we consider those? It should also be noted Goombas can support many other Goombas on top of them so it's likely that a Koopa wouldn't be able to actually stomp on a Goomba or get close as the Goomba's LS + their ability to grab things without hands could lead to a Goomba simply grabbing a Koopa and throwing them to the side. I think a prime Goomba can deal with a prime Koopa minus their magic abilities, but the only notable ones are so not in character that we may as well use the Size Manip for a Goomba and it has a wincon via AP. It should also be worth noting Goombas in Mario and Luigi can bite, kick, and roll along with headbonking. Paragoombas also can spawn mini Goombas that slow a person down by having them gather on the person to weigh them down.

Foxthefox1000 said:
Goombas in Paper Mario are actually more booksmart as shown bt Goombella and Goombario. In the main verse I'm pretty sure Goombas can pilot vehicles like the Koopas and in Mario & Luigi Captain Goomba was the miracle worker. I don't know why we have them as below average or whatever when them walking pff ledges is pure game mechanics. The Goombas and Koopas are prettt equal in intelligence as with other minions, but if you want to push it, the Goombas have more notable brainiacs than the Koopas unless you count Magikoopas as like the maximum potential of a Koopa, as they are stated to dedicate lots of time into learning spells.
That brings me to my next point: Is this all versions of a Goomba and Koopa in like a composite or are we just considering their basic forms? Because if so the Green Shell ones also walk off edges so again, intelligence is barely a notable advantage.

However, Goombas can spit things at people from SMRPG which means they actually have more range. But Koopa has perception manipulation via Mario Tennis Aces which definitely could **** a Goomba up, meaning they have a better top speed and definitely have the defenses via their shell, but Goombas also have transmutation in SMRPG if I recall and Koopas can actually lose their shells in games like Super Mario 64, SMW, and 3D World I believe? Plus, when stomped on, which is in character for a Goomba to do with a headbonk, they become incapacitated through either flipping onto their backs in Paper Mario which exposes their vulnerable side or theu tuck into their shell and can be BFR'd easily or thrown into a pit or lava or just endlessly bouncing against a set of walls or traveling in the direction they're thrown until they hit something.

So it's dependent on what you believe. A headbonk from a Goomba can pretty much make them easily dispatchable in many ways, and a Koopa's shell spin is telegraphed and also they rarely use it so that's pretty much not gonna matter too much. Overall, I'd say the Koopas have the better abilities, but then one Goomba could increase it's size seemingly naturally in New Super Mario Bros. DS and could cause trouble for Mario who needed a Ground Pound to deal any damage. So if we consider all of their abilities and arsenals a Goomba can just grow giant and literally stomp a Koopa via better overall stats except maybe travel speed.

So it's debatable. But I think a Koopa is too easily rendered unable to fight via a simple stomp or headbonk which is perfectly natural and easy for a Goomba to do. Goombas have also been equipped with power-ups many times so would we consider those? It should also be noted Goombas can support many other Goombas on top of them so it's likely that a Koopa wouldn't be able to actually stomp on a Goomba or get close as the Goomba's LS + their ability to grab things without hands could lead to a Goomba simply grabbing a Koopa and throwing them to the side. I think a prime Goomba can deal with a prime Koopa minus their magic abilities, but the only notable ones are so not in character that we may as well use the Size Manip for a Goomba and it has a wincon via AP. It should also be worth noting Goombas in Mario and Luigi can bite, kick, and roll along with headbonking. Paragoombas also can spawn mini Goombas that slow a person down by having them gather on the person to weigh them down.
This is Base so OG, say in the OP

If it's just a Green Shell Koopa VS. A Base Goomba with no equipment then would we count official sources stating Goombas can grow wings and Tanooki tails as part of their base abilities? In which case, a Goomba can more naturally become a Paragoomba and grow a Tanooki Tail. In Bowser's Minions as well as New Super Mario Bros. DS we also see base Goombas grow in size without any equipment, though tbf in Bowser's Minions it's more of a gag where one Goomba grows big with anger (this can be seen in Goomboss as well) and Captain Goomba physically shrinks, but it's somewhat supporting evidence. So if they get increase their size naturally and can sprout wings and tails naturally as well to combat Mario, then their ability to kick plus the Tanooki Tail should be able to easily deal with any shell attack or other projectiles (not that a base Green Shell Koopa has any), and they should have the mobility via sprouting wings. They also still have the ability to bite and headbonk as well as roll into others and which is more physical than what a nornal Green Shell Koopa has ever shown. Plus, they should have enough LS to withstand any attempts to stomp on them as well.

Koopa's only hope here, given it's base and a Green Shell, is to tuck into it's shell and maybe spin attack the Goomba, but Goombas have mid regen and can withstand a lot, like explosions, falling from great heights, getting stomped on, and even set on fire by Bowser, and like I said, the shell is easily dodged and if it's agree Goombas can naturally sprout wings, a Green Shell Koopa can't IIRC so it'd have no way to really be able to harm the Goomba while the Goomba can still shoot thorns, and if accurate enough, can hit the Koopa on the inside of it's shell through the holes for it's head and limbs. Hell, even without the Tail and Wings dodging plus kicking and more physical abilities and the thorn shot into the holes when tucked in it's shell still lead to a Goomba advantage IMO. Goombas can just easily exploit every weakness a Koopa has. The Koopa does have perception manip, and I don't even wanna get into the RPG elements like what they resist or are immune to in those games, but perception manip and a vague "the Koopa Troop used their dark magic" or whatever are probably Koopa's best bets here.

Both do not state that the Wings or other power-ups are natural or magical, but i'm pressuming no equipment, straight up Goomba vs. Greenshell Koopa with no power-ups

Super Mario 3D Land North American website bio: "Goombas are pretty common in these parts, but some have new tricks up their sleeves. They may stack themselves to get a towering advantage, or even grow a Tanooki Tail to try and whack Mario down to size."

As you can see, the tail at least is natural. It's a thing Goombas in base can do it seems.

But like I said, it doesn't matter. With these conditions at best maybe a Green Shell Koopa is slightly academically smarter but a Goomba has more combat prowess and abilities that physically counter and exploit Koopa's weaknesses. They need their magical abilities to win this, but as far as I recall they're vague and not in characters and perception manip isn't gonna allow a Koopa to bypass Goomba's regen.

Back