• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Harry Potter verse speed upgrade.

So, there's this scene from Order of The Phoenix:

http://static1.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_large/11129/111292893/5462985-0944488948-giphy.gif

Ubridge blocks an arrow rather casually, and Harry manages to duck before it hits her shield. They both seem to start moving only after the arrow gets pretty close to them.

I'm not really sure about how fast they would need to be to do that, but I've seen characters here that are superhuman/subsonic because of arrow timing, so, should HP verse get an upgrade?

Why "possibly"?

Maneuver at +150 mph while dodging (insert the name of that ball that tries to hits you) and trying to catch the Golden Snitch at similar speeds.

From such a distance i doupt that it will be more than Superhuman.

@Aiden Quiddich doesn't count as a speed feat.Real life drivers do the same thing without having any reactions above that of a regular human.

Kkapoios said:
@Aiden Quiddich doesn't count as a speed feat.Real life drivers do the same thing without having any reactions above that of a regular human.
I have to disagree

Drivers doesn't have to always evade others 150 mph drivers trying to crash them. Or try to catch a smaller and faster car

I couldn't calc the exact distance between the arrow and Harry

But the best result that I got was 18 m/s

So SuperHuman (But I insist on the upgrade from Quidditch)

I suppose Superhuman looks good. I agree with Aiden that we should use Quidditch regardless.

Superhuman I can accept but subsonic? Nah. Harry Potter verse is as close to real world as it gets. A subsonic character has subsonic showings on average

Faisal Shourov said:
Superhuman I can accept but subsonic? Nah. Harry Potter verse is as close to real world as it gets. A subsonic character has subsonic showings on average
Not always....

And, with that logic, then even Superhuman would be an outlier (It's not like the difference between Subsonic and Superhuman is that big tho)

AidenBrooks999 said:
Not always....
And, with that logic, then even Superhuman would be an outlier (It's not like the difference between Subsonic and Superhuman is that big tho)

Superhuman itself is a big stretch, but that's the highest I can see them go. And this one could very well be an outlier. Most Harry Potter wizards/witches are often no better than regular humans

That's just not true, since Harry Potter characters see regular humans and their weapons as completely undangerous jokes.

I also agree with AidenBrooks999's proposal.

Question:

Has anyone ever done a speed calc for this verse?

I agree with ThePerpetual. Plenty of fictions are supposed to feature physically regular humans that have far higher degrees of feats despite this.

Antvasima said:
I agree with ThePerpetual. Plenty of fictions are supposed to feature physically regular humans that have far higher degrees of feats despite this.
Rurouni Kenshin is a good example. They initially come off as peak human but the feats are clearly superhuman.

I think Subsonic is good

We have Harry Potter Wizards who are able to cast small magical projectiles that are much faster than baseballs being thrown (which are 150 kph Subsonic even by average pitchers), in rapid succession and in very close CQB by modern warfare standard, indicating that Wizards can dodge or cast shields in time and also simultaneously perform their own counterattacks under these scenarios.

Spells like Reducto performed by a 5th year Hogwart kid have the firepower of hand grenade or RPG packed into them. In a practical sense, imagine someone rapid-firing relatively low-level spells such as these against another Wizard, at close range, who proceeds to parry all of them and respond with his own spells. Humans cannot survive encounters of this level that are much more dangerous than heavy gunfights, due to their lack of speed.

Such Wizard vs Wizard duels would require the duelists to display at least Subsonic levels of reactions (the rate at which they defend) and Subsonic combat speeds (the rate at which they attack). They may be Superhuman in pure move speed on foot without broomsticks, but combats are often much faster than that.

After the latest movie I wouldn't put past some of the higher-tier Wizards to, potentially, start exhibiting bullet-timing Supersonic reactions.

Maybe we can also add Subsonic flight speed or something. That can justify Subsonic reaction speed as well per the Speed mechanics (having the reaction speed to navigate through Hogwarts corridors riding broomsticks).

Promestein said:
That's just not true, since Harry Potter characters see regular humans and their weapons as completely undangerous jokes.
I think this is mostly due to their complete ignorance of the muggle word though. I mean, Ron's father studies muggles a lot, but his dream is to find out how planes can fly, something anyone can learn in 2 minutes on Google. It's not like they know how dangerous a gun is.

Jucaslucas said:
I think this is mostly due to their complete ignorance of the muggle word though. I mean, Ron's father studies muggles a lot, but his dream is to find out how planes can fly, something anyone can learn in 2 minutes on Google. It's not like they know how dangerous a gun is.
The guy didn't even know what a rubber duck is lol. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't know what a 12 gauge shotgun is and what it's going to do to your face. And this guy actually studies muggles.

@AidenBrooks999 I think that we seem to have enough input to perform the changes.

Promestein said:
I don't remembe this being mentioned anywhere in the books, if anything it should be the exact opposite.But i guess wizards have never heard of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Antvasima said:
@AidenBrooks999 I think that we seem to have enough input to perform the changes.
Right now I'm busy with the doctor, but I'll be free in an hour

So please be patience

Back