• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricsi-viragosi

VS Battles
Retired
So, I did find this come up plenty of times, so I think a consensus should be reached.

Simply put, many verses treat 9-B heat like a deadly thing to even tier 7 characters, if not higher. This is mostly ignored because of the whole "dura giving resistance to heat" thing, but shouldn't the verse's logic take precedence over real world logic? If the laws of physics are blatantly broken by a verse, we can just say "it's fiction" and call it a day, so I don't see why the same isn't done for weakness to heat. If a verse shows a character being afraid of dying to lava, they shouldn't become immune to it in a vs thread.

Tecnically speaking, they blood should boil and they should die regardless, but shoever cares for realism?

I am not saying that a character needs to showcase resistance to heat or else they are toast (litirally, in this case), the exact opposite. If a verse shows character being nearly killed by lava (or afraid if beink killed by it), it should aply, 9-A or 7-A. (Unless this is later contradicted, but that is a given).

I agree. 3-A Goku needed a heat proof suit to go to Earth's core and was worried he might die. Also SSB Vegeta was suffocating from Magetta's lava. Saiyan's seemed to have a inherit weakness from heat

I'm sure plenty of people are going to find fault with this (I can already think of two in particular), but I actually agree with it as well.

Blunt force and heat are almost always treated separately in fictional works, and while that shouldn't make sense by real-world standards, the rules of fiction aren't as tightly pinned down, and there are only so many things that can be written off as PIS. If someone shows a vulnerability to heat in-verse, they should be taken as having such here as well.

I mean, if you drown into lava and you're worried to die, there's a possibility that you're just afraid of suffocating.

Heat can negate dura to an extent by making the blood boil causing heart attacks or outright evaporate it instantly, but they can't do much else.

Lava was an exemple, but when people are afraid to fall into lava it is more often due to the heat.

Heat can kill cells and such as well, and many times characters get burned by a flame and such. The boiling blood is far rarer than just heat working like on a normal human.

Yeah this is extremely common in fiction and it being ignored after hundreds of verses treating it like it bypasses durability is weird (hell some verses treat it like it's worse than acid yet acid gets to ignore durability).

It depends.

Heat harming characters that should be immune to it via AP is PIS. If cells can resist that much KE, they should be able to resist other forms of energy.

I disagree with that heavily. And I already pointed out why in the OP.

You can't really use real world physics before in-verse physics.

It is case by case but most verses do treat it like it ignores durability (hell the I'm dangling over lava trope happens all the time with 8-C and above characters)

On the other hand electricity bypasses conventional durability.

I have read somewhere that the internal frequency of the nerve signals controlling the heart is around 60Hz, therefore 'ventricular fibrillation' will occur when 50-60Hz current interferes with the natural rhythm of the heart. The heart loses its ability to pump. and so, death follows. Ventricular fibrillation can occur at current levels as low as 30 mA for children and ~60 mA in adults. Most adults will go into ventricular fibrillation at hand-to-hand currents below 100 mA.

but is never treated accordingly in fiction

3-A Goku fears going into the Earth's center but is completely unharmed by Namek exploding. LMAO.

When was he in the oicenter of it's explosion?

As for jack, there was a discussion, and it was agreed it does bypass unless shown otherwise (either the enemy's or the users verse)

Then Goku gets shot and only gets scraped, not even a burn mark from the superheated metal.

Then again DB Earth is far more advanced than ours, so...

I'm pretty sure that in fiction, we tend to mostly ignore the temperatures given because they wouldn't be able to damage such characters because of the author/s either overestimating the power of heat or simply underestimating the power of their own character/s, just like we do with bullets.

DMB 1 said:
I'm pretty sure that in fiction, we tend to mostly ignore the temperatures given because they wouldn't be able to damage such characters because of the author/s either overestimating the power of heat or simply underestimating the power of their own character/s, just like we do with bullets.
... But if you agree with keeping it that way, you should give a reason why. We don't ignore stuff that is positive, pike getting stabbed through the chest and still fighting because "willpower".

I don't see why we allow the laws of ohysics to be broken for extra skills, but not for weaknesess. A bullet hurting a character is directly aplicable because it's ke regardless, here it's another form of energy working differently in-verse.

What's even being proposed here? To not assume that strong characters are immune to heat because it's often contradicted?

If so, this is really just PIS. Fiction implying that strong characters can be harmed by things normal humans are harmed by (mostly slashing or penetrating weapons) is an extremely common form of PIS. This shouldn't be any different.

I think we should simply consider heat as just another variation of damage. Sure, characters who are not particularly heat resistant may not be able to handle it as well, but that doesn't mean that a planet buster is gonna go down from dropping him in the Sahara

If anything, I would argue that characters who are shown to not be able to handle heat well on a consistent basis should have that as a weakness. Like if Goku has another issue with heat, then that should be a weakness, not a property of the heat itself

Iapitus The Impaler said:
If anything, I would argue that characters who are shown to not be able to handle heat well on a consistent basis should have that as a weakness. Like if Goku has another issue with heat, then that should be a weakness, not a property of the heat itself
I'm pretty sure that's what's being proposed.

EDIT: Yes, it is.

Ricsi-viragosi said:
I am not saying that a character needs to showcase resistance to heat or else they are toast (litirally, in this case), the exact opposite. If a verse shows character being nearly killed by lava (or afraid if beink killed by it), it should aply, 9-A or 7-A. (Unless this is later contradicted, but that is a given).

If something in a fictional setting is supposed to be the exact same thing it is in real life then I don't think you should assume they break the laws of physics as a rule.

What I mean by this is that if a 5-B or something gets hurt by normal lava, you can say that in this specific instance the laws of physics were being violated but you can't say that every lava that the character will come across will break the laws of physics to damage him.

Saikou The Lewd King said:
What's even being proposed here? To not assume that strong characters are immune to heat because it's often contradicted?

If so, this is really just PIS. Fiction implying that strong characters can be harmed by things normal humans are harmed by (mostly slashing or penetrating weapons) is an extremely common form of PIS. This shouldn't be any different.
Not exactly.

From what I understood, you ca assume strong characters are immune to heat what they are proposing is that if this notion is directly contradicted in the story, you should consider them susceptible to heat.

I also think that this seems like unnecessary work.

If it's right then it's right, even if it would take a lot of time to implement. There is a weaknesses section in every profile for this sort of stuff anyways.

Pretty sure this is generally PIS in the same way that stuff like fall damage is. If the verse makes it clear that the character is vulnerable to heat that's fine, but applying this to everyone doesn't seem like a great idea.

Wokistan said:
Pretty sure this is generally PIS in the same way that stuff like fall damage is. If the verse makes it clear that the character is vulnerable to heat that's fine, but applying this to everyone doesn't seem like a great idea.
I agree with this point and likewise Saikou's

Yeah, we shouldn't apply it to anyone PIS prone

I agree that heat is basically PIS. It's often used for dramatic tension or moments. Like setting up a duel to the death over lava.

There's also the fact that stories, anime, games, comics, whatnot aren't typically written with the kind of consistency we use here on site. Classic example: Star Wars.

9-A blasters are treated as dangerous by 4-B Jedi? Story wise, the blasters can hurt such Jedi. Here on the wiki, we know that ain't true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back