• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
So there was a discussion (and agreement) in the Invincible season 2 thread about how the sub-space warp section for speed should be removed completely. There were a variety of reasons stated, but here is the TL;DR:

1. The handbook was not written by Robert Kirkman, but a variety of writers brought in solely for the creation of this handbook. He had no hand or say in the content itself.

2. There are a variety of outright contradictions with the original source material (refer to post 59 of the discussion thread).

3. The comic does not refer to any of the terminology included in the handbook even ONCE.

4. Even without all of that, the handbook is severely outdated. Its 2 parts came out between issues 37-39 of the comic (December 6th 2006/January 24th 2007).

With all of that out of the way, I think these instances/feats would make some good speed additions:

1. Allen the Alien is seen completely dodging and perceiving a Viltrumite warship (scan 1, scan 2, scan 3) in a random star system/galaxy, during his journey back to Talescria (home of the CoP) which he said he’d reach in “a few days“ (refer to scan 1), implying he is moving at interstellar/(near) top speeds. Not only that, but Allen himself noticed the ship slowing only AFTER it had passed him. Something of note here is that the SAME Viltrumite warship here was one that left Earth just 3 pages before, in the same issue. This all takes place in issue 45 of the comic, for anyone who wants to read up on it. The same Viltrumite warship had also travelled from Viltrum to Earth in (a minimum of) less than 2 weeks, as Mark was out for 2 weeks (scan 1, scan 2) since the Viltrum war (at the end of which they left for Earth immediately ~ issue 76, btw). Viltrum is also in the Virgo-super cluster.

2. Conquest, alongside other Viltrumites, was able to physically track, navigate and lock onto a moving CoP ship (scan 1, scan 2). The ship was on route to Talescria in a days/weeks time-frame, and had already made it to a different star system/galaxy in a “few days”. Note that scan 1 has the flight commander explicitly tell Oliver verbatim that “whenever possible we try to chart our course along the path of any planets with a breathable atmosphere” after he spots a planet as a blur flying by, which outright dunks on any “sub-space teleportation” claims, especially for Viltrumites, since they blitz the same ship mid-flight. Not that it needed to be confirmed or anything, since the same scan and multiple others show the ship moving past a planet/Viltrumites flying past planets. This is all in issue 71 of the comic.

3. Invincible immediately accelerates to top speed to outrace the fastest ship the CoP has. Omni-Man tells Tech Jacket that “it’ll take a week or so“ for the ship to return to Talescria (also in the Virgo super-cluster, and stated to be in a different galaxy to Earth by Mark in one of the scans from point 1 anyway). This is all in issue 77.

4. Thragg casually dodges space racer’s infinity rays (issue 122), which Thaedus, Omni-Man and Invincible were hard-pressed to keep up with at their absolute exerted top speeds (issue 75). They are already established as MFTL+ by this point. The trio get good reaction/perception speeds too, as they were able to transmit thoughts to each-other during the small time-period of them crossing the distance from inside Viltrum’s rings to its surface at top speeds. Thaedus constantly nagged them to go “FASTER!” and to “GET READY!”, so I don’t see how this isn’t further clear proof how their reaction = flight speed.

5. Thragg also impales Omni-Man, despite originally having his back turned to Omni-Man. This is in space, Mark was getting battered concurrently and Thragg comments on his speed saying/thinking “faster than I thought”, so I don’t see why it can’t be assumed Nolan is using full flight speed to attack Thragg there. All in issue 75, etc.

That’s all I can think of for any good possible speed additions for now. They mostly benefit towards reaction, combat and perception speed(s).

——————

Moving forward, I’d like to discuss the current calculation listing for the Viltrum feat: It uses an extremely faulty method to quantify what the Viltrumites did; that being, Earthquake scaling. I can’t wrap my head around this methodology. The calculation doesn’t consider the FAR better portion of the feat - the Viltrumites exiting the planet and dispersing a large portion of its mass into infinity. It seems like a massive downplay.

I’d like to bring attention to a calculation I have done for the feat: https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/User_blog:ReturnofKhadz/Invincible_(comic)_Viltrum_feat_calc

IMO, it rates it way more fairly and actually takes into the account the better part of the feat, rather than playing a guessing game with Earthquake magnitudes and such. It also aligns more with the Earth-splitting statement for 37 Viltrumites, most injured. It does NOT make sense how the single average of those 37 could output several times more in splitting the Earth, than 3 of the stronger-end Viltrumites could do in a full bullrush.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I’m also aware of some others disregarding the Viltrum feat being too high, since everyone was KOed by the Planet exploding. In retrospect, characters like Thragg and Battle Beast took equal damage compared to the weakest of the battlefield, such as Tech Jacket and Oliver Grayson (whom Thragg, a few pages before, had broken the jaw of and ripped his the arm off). Literally everyone was ONLY KOed. People like Thaedus and Omni-Man too, who Thragg treated like tissue paper in the same or next issue.

I am more than willing to treat this is as a clear outlier, most likely added solely due to dramatic effect by the writer and artist. Characters ranging from orders of several thousands of times from each other taking the same damage makes 0 sense.

Idk about the guidebook stuff but the speed stuff is fine. I always found it weird there only mftl with space warps when they can react to and perceive things at that speed. The calc needs to be evaluated

Agree with a speed upgrade, the space warps were always ridiculously vague to separate for "flight speed"

I recommend just using the earths diameter for the Viltrum destruction feat instead of a random exoplanet
I could edit it. Personally I think using the reference of a rocky planet with such gravity and diameter is suitable, though it isn’t a big deal and I’m pretty(?) sure it gets to small planetary either way.

Bump. Seems everyone on the thread so far agrees with the speed changes and additions? The recalc was checked by a calc evaluator, whose only issue was not using Earth’s radius, but I’ve edited it in and it gets to Small Planet level. Is it fine now? I’m not exactly sure how the system works so, moving forward, when are the changes to be made?

Bump. Seems everyone on the thread so far agrees with the speed changes and additions? The recalc was checked by a calc evaluator, whose only issue was not using Earth’s radius, but I’ve edited it in and it gets to Small Planet level. Is it fine now? I’m not exactly sure how the system works so, moving forward, when are the changes to be made?
You need two staff votes.

Don’t worry, for big verses, especially one with a tv show on right now, this revision should happen relatively quickly. Never want to be too hasty with it, but it’ll be like a few days at worst as long as no massive disagreement happens.

Speed is completely fine with me

And frankly, agreed too with the Viltrum feat. The Earth splitting is in itself a low ball, since these viltrumites are extremely weakened by that point, so I wouldn't even take it as a true outlier under those circumstances.

This feat was accepted by Rusty.

Small Planet Invincible. Congrats Khadz.
Oh damn. W

I also want to mention that, with speed, we already have a MFTL+ value for these characters.
It sounds to me like all we need to do is remove the 'with space-warps'.
Yeah, true. Tho I just wanted to include these neat additions anyway. People don’t often accept flight speed = combat, reaction, perception speeds, etc, unless explicitly shown. And tbh, that’s fair.

Yeah, true. Tho I just wanted to include these neat additions anyway. People don’t often accept flight speed = combat, reaction, perception speeds, etc, unless explicitly shown. And tbh, that’s fair.
Is this not shown in the many things you gave?
Allen reacted to and avoided a MFTL+ ship, and people have out-sped/reacted to him in turn.

Back