• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Is Metroid and Joey EX manga canon?

I'm no Metroid expert so I'm not the best person to ask, but given the fact that the story is implied to take place before Metroid Fusion (since there's a preview right after the events of the last chapter) I don't see the issue.

Plus, Samus's profile is primarily composite.

Actually the only non game appearences that are considered non-canon are the nintendo power comics, Cap N show, and 4-Koma + MP mangas

In the case for S & J, its really just unknown, although considering that it was made soon after the Metroid manga that is considered canon, and an event in Joey is literally a main plot point in Other M, I would say the chances are pretty huge

It has a moment refering back to the "Any objections lady?" + the thumbs down responce that Samus usually gave to Adam. Despite you know, Other M coming out years later

The thumbs down she gave in Volume 3, and her ship's overall internal layout in Metroid EX looks eerily similar to how Samus' ship interior looked like in Other M.

SomebodyData said:
Uh how so?
Let's see:

1. The dubiously canon nature of the whole profile. Other Nintendo characters aren't treated like this. The main Samus page should focus on canon stuff and a separate composite one could be made.

2. The implication that the Zero-Suit and Fusion suit have the same stats is not explained.This is even contradicted later on as it gives an example of the Fusion suit being far faster than the Zero one (Massively Hypersonic+ and FTL).

3. The Varia suit's AP implying the Power bomb has the same AP as her other weapons. This is simply not true in Metroid games. The AP of her usual weapons should be included too. I can understand just focusing on her best weapon but since they are usually in a limited supply, adding her usual weapons could facilitate vs debates and get a better understanding of how powerful the Varia suit usually is. Plus, as stated before, the fact it relies on the Joey EX manga which is dubiously canon.

4. The Mountain level AP not being explained for her other suits. Which suit it is isn't stated either. I'm not quite sure why a supposedly more advanced suit than the Varia one would have a much lower AP anyway (unless it is the Fusion suit, but then why is it grouped alongside the Zero-suit as having the same stats?).

5. Once again, the multi-galaxy+ level AP for the most powerful suit is from a dubiously canon manga and doesn't state which suit it is. Also what the rationale for it being MG+ is (the thing about the black holes doesn't justify it too well).

1.She isn't composite. If she was, I would have stuff about the comics and 4komas (which are rather interesting, the 4koma is a bit more on the funny side tho)

2. She has no real AP feats with the fusion suit, hence we had to give her the minimum.

3. The Ap of her other weapons are pretty hard to pinpoint, although considering that the chozo power bomb in S & J is the one from Super Metroid, it should be around Ice Beam to Super Missile level which is pretty much standard for her, the only exception would be if she doesn't have the ice beam or super missile active, but it is standard so it's unlikely she would need another tab.

4. There is a blog at the bottom of her page that has all the suits and it's ratings, if we put everything the page would be far too massive, and that's saying something, as the page is already very big. The Fusion suit is the basic Power Fusion Suit, because it's never called the Power Fusion Suit we didn't add that (plus it would be pretty long and most people already understand the Fusion suit as the blue weak one) Also, what more advanced suit than the Varia suit is weaker?

5. Like Hunter and I have shown, it's canon status is very unlikely to be non-canon, when considering how much info it had over events that at the time, only the authors of metroid would know.

1. Even if not technically composite, using a dubiously canon manga is still special treatment.

2. If she has no AP feats with the fusion suit, then we should place it as "unknown" or "At least Town level". We can't just shoehorn it into the lowest tier and call it a day. It could be a ridiculous low-ball for all we know and it makes them seem like the're just as powerful as each other. Plus, I have no idea why the later stats mention the Fusion suit despite not being about it (eg. the Durability for "various suis" talks about her fusion suit being hit by a power bomb?).

3. Makes sense.

4. I understand but it could be better organised and point out which suit has which AP. For example, I have no idea which suit is meant to be mountain level and which is multi-galaxy.

5. It could be that they simply took some inspiration from it. Similar to how Superman comics took inspiration from the old, non-canon Superman cartoon to give him flight or the new Star Wars films taking inspiration from the (now) non-canon extended universe.

1. What you`re not mentioning however, is how dubious the canon is. It`s pretty much as dubious as Super Mario Land is to Super Mario Land 2. It`s canoncity probelms originate from the fact that its a manga (Yet the other Metroid manga is canon) and wasn`t placed in the Metroid offical timeline due to it being released after it was made. Most of the arguements against it can be used against other offical Metroid games. Heck, S & J has more going for its canoncity than Other M and Metroid Prime 3.

2. It`s also techically at Town level for being able to fight off the regular X infested beings of the ship, primarily the Zebesians. Normally, one could argue game mechanics, but Adam had stated that her chances of surviving with her basic Fusion Suit was 10%.

4. Well its kinda why there is a link to the respective stats for the suits, like I said, the page is already too huge.

5. One thing is inspiration, another is straight up using a moment in S & J as the primary side story of Other M. Or straight up taking the design fo the inside of the ship.

1. ok

2. ok. Could be mentioned on the profile though.

3. ok, but the link should be more obvious in the profile since it offers better/more clear information that the profile itself.

4. ok. But what is this event in other m you keep mentioning?

2.Well, I guess, although its not very important

3. Not sure how I can make it more obvious, plus it should be on the bottom because it is technically a note.

4. You know the iconic "Any objections, lady?" and the thumbs down? Well an old alien friend of Samus references this and Samus preforms the thumbs down to him.

SomebodyData said:
2.Well, I guess, although its not very important
3. Not sure how I can make it more obvious, plus it should be on the bottom because it is technically a note.

4. You know the iconic "Any objections, lady?" and the thumbs down? Well an old alien friend of Samus references this and Samus preforms the thumbs down to him.
2. It is when you consider that it determines the Fusion suit's AP/Durability.

3. The note could be higher up on the profile. I know it's not common to have this on profiles but it would make it so much more easy to understand.

4. That's not a major plot point as you put it.

When Samus gets hit by a Power Bomb from the SA-X in Fusion, it deals 20 damage in the American version if I remember correctly. Considering Power Bombs were stated to vaporize humans instantly, the Fusion Suit definitely has better durability than the Zero Suit, despite the Zero Suit being able to use the Energy Tanks of the Power Suit (if there are any left over). Although, I'm not sure how to determine the durability of the Fusion Suit.

@accursed well I would argue that the only reason she survived was thanks to game mechanics, as in game you're supposed to get out of the range of the blast but most people don't realize that. Then again, it would probably be an outlier since the Power Bomb is a very powerful weapon in Samus' arsenal.

@Loud

2. Not really, its still town level

3. Well it would be against the standard format, so I don't think we can do it without permission from an admin.

4. i would argue that Samus' and Adam's side story in Other M is rather big, since it pretty much is iconic with the interactions of Samus and Adam

Back