• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

James Ironwood VS Rhyhorn (7-0-0) This Can Be Add

V999

He/Him
RWBY VS Pokemon

• Both are Low 7-B
• Speed are equalized
• Ironwood : 1 Megatons, Possibly 2.68 Megatons with Due Process Cannon
• Rhyhorn : 1.45 megatons
Music

Ironwood : 7 (@Popted2, @Imaginym, @King_Clab, @SilentLyfe, @Marvel_Champion_07, @WeeklyBattles, @LeoEpicGamer8910)

Rhyhorn :

Inconclusive :

images

images

Last edited:
bring Imagynim here
I feel flattered, perhaps even complimented.
Also, thank you! I genuinely love matches involving non-Legendary Pokemon!

Anyway, was Rhyhorn chosen for this match because I advocated specifically for it (Among some other Pokemon.) as a candidate to be listed one of the Most Unintelligent Characters for Every Tier?

Quoting myself:

Rhyhorn is also pretty dumb:
YellowA POKéMON with a one-track mind. Once it charges, it won’t stop running until it falls asleep.
GoldIt is inept at turning because of its four short legs. It can only charge and run in one direction.
SilverIt doesn’t care if there is anything in its way. It just charges and destroys all obstacles.
CrystalIt can remember only one thing at a time. Once it starts rushing, it forgets why it started.
RubyRHYHORN runs in a straight line, smashing everything in its path. It is not bothered even if it rushes headlong into a block of steel. This POKéMON may feel some pain from the collision the next day, however.
SapphireRHYHORN’s brain is very small. It is so dense, while on a run it forgets why it started running in the first place. It apparently remembers sometimes if it demolishes something.
EmeraldOnce it starts running, it doesn’t stop. Its tiny brain makes it so stupid that it can’t remember why it started running in the first place.
PlatinumIts powerful tackles can destroy anything. However, it is too slow witted to help people work.
Legends: ArceusLudicrously strong—when it butts heads with a mountain, it is the mountain that shatters. But its short legs struggle with turns, and it is incapable of stopping unless it collides with something.

TL;DR - Rhyhorn is stated to have a one-track mind, & to be only able to remember 1 thing at a time. If it starts running, it won't stop until it falls asleep or collides with something. It can also only charge in 1 direction (But this is supposedly due to its short legs being bad at turning.), doesn't care if there's anything in its way, & won't be bothered if it "rushes headlong into a block of steel", despite that it may feel pain from the collision the next day.
Rhyhorn is also stated to have a very small brain, & if it starts running, it can't remember why it started running in the first place, but that it remembers sometimes if it demolished something.

To Rhyhorn's credit, in at least the anime (I forget if the Kalos games did it.), Rhyhorn can be trained for Rhyhorn racing, a sport involving human riders, & some of the stuff could just be pain-tolerance &/or apathy.

End self-quote.

& adding further clarification, those entries were picked primarily to thoroughly demonstrate its candidacy for "Most Unintelligent".
Most of the relevant details, especially behaviour-wise, are established (Ignoring possible other details from anime stuff, as I don't recall how thoroughly I checked that.), but there are some other details that give it some praise:

LeafGreenIts massive bones are 1000 times harder than human bones. It can easily knock a trailer flying.
SwordStrong, but not too bright, this Pokémon can shatter even a skyscraper with its charging tackles.

So yay, it's dumb, but at least it has hard bones & great AoE for its impacts. Especially from Professor Laventon saying in the Pokemon Legends: Arceus entry saying that when Rhyhorn butts heads with a mountain, it is the mountain that shatters.

Anyway....
Moves of Rhyhorn's that I assume would be more likely to align with this behaviour:

Level-Up Moves:

Horn Attack
"The target is jabbed with a sharply pointed horn to inflict damage."
Tackle
"A physical attack in which the user charges and slams into the target with its whole body."
Horn Drill
"The user stabs the target with a horn that rotates like a drill. The target faints instantly if this attack hits."
Megahorn
"Using its tough and impressive horn, the user rams into the target with no letup."
Drill Run
"The user crashes into the target while rotating its body like a drill. This move has a heightened chance of landing a critical hit."
Fury Attack
"The user attacks by jabbing the target with a horn, a beak, or the like. This move hits two to five times in a row."
Take Down
"A reckless full-body charge attack for slamming into the target. This also damages the user a little."
Chip Away
"Looking for an opening, the user strikes consistently. The target's stat changes don't affect this attack's damage."
High Horsepower
"The user fiercely attacks the target using its entire body."
Double-Edge
"A reckless life-risking tackle in which the user rushes the target. This also damages the user quite a lot."
Giga Impact
"The user charges at the target using every bit of its power. The user can't move on the next turn."

There might be a chance it uses Scary Face ("The user frightens the target with a scary face to harshly lower its Speed stat."), early on, but beyond that, I doubt Rhyhorn will.

It may be notable that I used the most recent descriptions; When considering Rhyhorn only learns High Horsepower, Double-Edge & Giga Impact, Rhyhorn only learns in them PL:A. The others have to be learned via TM or TR in other games, or in Double-Edge's case, an Event.

In Giga Impact's case, it omits the "The user can't move on the next turn.", from its description in PL:A, which, again, is the only game where Rhyhorn can learn it via Level-Up or Egg Move.... But the losing next turn drawback is, in gameplay, replaced by the largely similar lowering of the user's Action Speed.

Egg Moves:
Dragon Rush
"The user tackles the target while exhibiting overwhelming menace. This may also make the target flinch."
Reversal
"An all-out attack that becomes more powerful the less HP the user has."
Rock Climb
"The user attacks the target by smashing into it with incredible force. This may also confuse the target."
Skull Bash
"The user tucks in its head to raise its Defense stat on the first turn, then rams the target on the next turn."

By no means this is every Level-Up & Egg Move Rhyhorn can learn, & IDK if we allow TM/TR moves, so that'd add even more possibilities.
But given Rhyhorn's characterization of "Charge in one direction until it falls asleep, likely forgetting why it charged at some point, maybe remember if it hits something, which is likely because it charges through all obstacles", those seem like the moves it's more likely to use.

Thankfully for Rhyhorn, it has the Abilities Rock Head (Prevents Recoil damage.) & Reckless, which powers up moves that do Recoil by 20%. In this case, that's Take Down & Double-Edge, Double-Edge being stronger, going by base power (90 vs 120), in the absence of other basies of measurement.

Bizarrely & tragically, despite being a Rock-type that's all about charging, Rhyhorn (& its 2 evolutions.) has never been able to learn, by any means, Head Smash, a Rock-type recoil move. C'mon, GameFreak, it wouldn't be that powerful.... (Aron's whole line gets it, even!)

If we're accounting for IQ Skills, the relevant ones seem to be:
Wise Healer
The Pokémon recovers more HP than usual if it uses an HP-healing move or item.Increases HP gained from Oran Berries, Sitrus Berries, and moves by 15% (rounded down).
Only relevant because Rhyhorn can be holding Berries if traded from Gen 1 (Where Held Items & the giving & taking of them are not features.) to Gen 2; The item called just "Berry" that Rhyhorn can hold doesn't exist after Gen 3, so by game mechanics, it's unclear how this IQ Skill would interact with this item.
In gameplay, Berries heal 10 HP (Miniscule for the majority of Pokemon.) past like, the 1st 2 badges.
Outside of gameplay:

Gold, Silver & Crystal chapter

In Slugging It Out with Slugma, Crystal explained to a girl how a Pokémon can heal itself by eating the Berry it's holding, demonstrating the process with a Sentret.

Pokémon Gold & Silver: The Golden Boys​

In Let's Go! The Journey Towards The Championship, Gold picked a Berry from a Berry tree and gave it to an injured Pidgey for it to recover. He also gave it another one for it to take to its nest.

Unfortunately, I haven't read that Manga content featuring the Berry Item.

Wary Fighter
If the Pokémon misses its attack, it takes a step back to distance itself from its target.Also applies to self-targeting moves like Protect, but not to line-of-sight moves. Triggers upon at least one miss. Absorbed/nullified moves count as a miss. Immediately ends status effects which prohibit travel. Pokémon that step into tiles they cannot normally enter (such as water or lava) will warp randomly.
(I assume the warp-if-stepping into normally-unenterable terrain effect is game mechanics, lol.)
Deep Breather
When it reaches a new floor, the Pokémon breathes deeply, which slightly restores the PP of its moves.1 PP is restored per floor. This affects a random move among those that do not have full PP.
PP is how many times a move can be used before it can't, so presumably this is a feature to restore Stamina over time. IIRC, the message in gameplay says "[POKEMONNAMEGOESHERE] took a deep breath!" when arriving on a new floor. What the equivalent of that is -Passage of time? Feeling like it has a moment to relax?- in a Versus Match is dubious, & considering Rhyhorn's "nonstop, absentminded charge" strategy, I'm not sure it'd use this, even if it could be beneficial.
Defender
The Pokémon becomes very defensive, so its Defense and Special Defense are both boosted by 1 level. Its Attack and Special Attack are both reduced by 1 level, however.
The Mystery Dungeon series uses a different stat stage system from the core game series.
-1 ATK/SP. ATK is 80% of Base, but DEF & SP. DEF are 130% of Base. It's weird, but I'm assuming a lack of other basis of measurement, since unsure how else this IQ Skill is depicted.
Energy Saver
The Pokémon's Belly empties slower.Belly lasts 33% longer.
Might be analogous to Stamina. Belly is a stat from MD Gameplay & is just hunger, arguably a form of Stamina. Walking, using moves, etc., depletes it slightly, it being at 0 makes the Pokemon take 1 damage per step every turn. This just makes it deplete slower.
Brick-Tough
The Pokémon's body becomes tougher, which gives it more HP. This IQ Skill can't be turned off.Increases maximum HP by 10.
MORE Stamina.
Power Pitcher
The Pokémon's throwing power is boosted, so thrown or hurled items inflict greater damage.Increases throwing damage dealt by 50%. Does not affect fixed damage items like Geo Pebbles, or Gravelerocks, but causes thrown sticky items and Unown Stones to inflict 3 damage instead of 2 and 90 damage instead of 60, respectively.
There are probably moves analogous to throwing stuff that Rhyhorn gets (Like Smack Down & Rock Throw, the latter of which it gets ONLY BY LEVEL UP IN LET'S GO: PIKACHU & EEVEE, WHAT THE HECK, GAME FREAK?!), but frankly, I doubt it'll even think to use them.
Intimidator
Under certain conditions the Pokémon can intimidate an enemy that attacks, which gives it a Cringe status condition.33% chance to cancel an incoming close-ranged attack, regardless of the direction the attacker is facing. PP is still deducted from the attacker. Attackers with Inner Focus are unaffected. Does not affect line-of-sight moves, room-range moves, or thrown items. Can affect allies if they target the Intimidator with a close-ranged move for any reason.
Counter Hitter
The Pokémon takes on the Mini Counter stats, which makes it strike back against attackers in certain conditions.12% chance to counterattack adjacent foe for 1/4 of damage taken. Cuts corners, and stacks with other Counter effects.
Quick Healer
The Pokémon's natural HP-recovery speed is boosted.Natural HP recovery speed is doubled. Gives the same benefit as the Heal Ribbon, with which it does not stack.
Better Stamina or a very low form of Regeneration.
Sure-Hit Attacker
PokémonThe Pokémon's regular attacks never miss.
It'd be NLF to say this works without limit, & I'm unsure how much of this is game mechanics. Also, the "Regular attack" is a Mystery Dungeon mechanic; It's a typeless, low damage move (Yet distinct from Struggle.) that's just the user doing a quick, brief ramming of the foe from their position; Even if we consider this particular IQ Skill, ALL of Rhyhorn's other moves are still just as capable of missing as before, it would seem.

So yeah, there's all that.

Last edited:
Hopefully that's not excessive, & hopefully it's helpful, or at least interesting.
Although, unless Wary Fighter makes Rhyhorn interrupt its charge upon missing by stepping back (& even then it'll still likely have forgotten why it started charging in the first place, as it's stated to do.), Rhyhorn is probably getting clowned on by a Skill-savant like James Ironwood, if my perhaps flawed presumptions about RWBY are right.
But those presumptions are also mostly because Rhyhorn is notoriously stupid.

To its credit, it has a 1.45x AP advantage to start with, according to the OP, its abilities means it has 1.2x AP with Recoil moves, & its AP goes down by 1.2x to boost its Defenses by 1.3x with Defender IQ Skill on (In gameplay, IQ Skills can be turned off, but default to turned on when learned, & that may be game mechanics/leader shenanigans.), lots of Stamina, especially with IQ Skills, great pain tolerance, great AoE on its impacts, & Intimidator giving a 1 in 3 chance to stop close range attacks, & Counter Hitter meaning every 8 & a third time or so it'll a chance to counter for 25% of the damage taken (Assuming those values in absence of other basis of measures.) means it's not totally incompetent.

But I have little confidence in the thing that I'm pretty sure could not only miss the broad side of a barn & then continue running away through the whole pasture until the Miltank come home, but still end up doing all that senseless running when it DOES hit the broad side of the barn because it forgot why it charged to begin with.
(Oh, & I should mention, it not only charges non-stop, but in a straight line. Professor Laventon from Pokemon Legends: Arceus says this is because of its short legs struggling with turning.)

So I'll wait for people to speak about James Ironwood of RWBY's case.

uhh assuming this isn't turn based, is earthquake into horn drill a thing? while the earthquake knocks Ironwood off balence, rhyhorn just hits him with horn drill or another move?

uhh assuming this isn't turn based, is earthquake into horn drill a thing? while the earthquake knocks Ironwood off balence, rhyhorn just hits him with horn drill or another move?
Your plan is good & Rhyhorn definitely gets those moves (Among dozens of others I didn't list.), but... given how much its charging is described, I'm confident it'd go for any kind of charging attack as the first thing. Which is the problem because it also doesn't stop until it falls asleep or collides with something, to the point that it's not bothered if it "rushes headlong into a block of steel" & "may feel some pain the next day, however.".

(Unless we consider the Wary Fighter IQ Skill which makes it step back when its attacks are dodged, but that could be game mechanics.)

& as I also pointed out Rhyhorn canonically has a tiny brain, as the Pokedex said:
EmeraldOnce it starts running, it doesn't stop. Its tiny brain makes it so stupid that it can't remember why it started running in the first place.

Arguably the best of its intelligence that can be said is from an anime Pokedex entry:
EP088RhyhornAsh's PokédexRhyhorn, the Spiked Pokémon. Rhyhorn is known for its physical power and its considerable offensive and defensive battle skills.
& considering that's the early anime, the dub's entry (Could be mistaken.), & Rhyhorn's Classification is mistakenly called the "Spiked Pokémon" instead of the "Spikes Pokémon".... Well....
So I don't entirely trust that episode's entry -At least, not without knowing the original Japanese entry for that episode, at least.- on Rhyhorn having "considerable battle skills".

Especially when it has Pokedex entries like this:
ShieldIt can remember only one thing at a time. Once it starts rushing, it forgets why it started.

If Rhyhorn can't even remember why it starts charging, nor remember more than one thing at a time, I don't have much confidence in it to execute a 2-step plan that involves using 2 specific moves in sequence unless maybe it's Bloodlusted & maybe given Prior Knowledge.

In theory, it could pull off something similar with Dragon Rush's 30% Flinch chance or Rock Climb's 20% Confusion chance (Confusion status itself having a 50% or, in the newest games, a 30% chance to make the victim hit itself.), but those rely on James hitting him.

IDK if he's the sort to go for blocking over dodging, but MAYBE James wouldn't realize the drill could literally one-shot him, assuming that's not NLF?

Last edited:
I mean, eh? Against a large target thats moving in a linear direction it wouldnt be that hard to hit, expecially with his crazy accuracy and his focus-amping semblance

What would he shooting with? Also, if accounting for IQ Skills, Rhyhorn not only has a lot of Stamina, but Defender drops its offenses by 20% to boost its Defenses by 30%. So it may be more like 1.885 Megatons for Rhyhorn's Durability if that's on. (It also has good pain tolerance, but not knowing its losing is probably worse, lol.)

Also, foe what its worth:
LeafGreenIts massive bones are 1000 times harder than human bones. It can easily knock a trailer flying.
I'd wonder if shooting it should be so effective, giving its bones' hardness.

The most helpful in-character/charging move Rhyhorn could do MIGHT be Skull Bash, since that gives it a +1 (50% of base.) boost to its Physical DEF during the "charging" turn.

"Defensive" options include Curse (+1 ATK, +1 DEF, -1 Speed. Egg Move. Going by game mechanics, Speed below base stat stage drops to the percentages of base as follows: 66.6~%, 50%, 40%, 33.3~%, 28.57%, 25%. So -6 Speed is 4x Slower than base.), Rock Polish, Metal Burst (Counters an attack with 1.5x the damage taken.), Counter (Counters a physical attack with twice the damage taken.), or Scary Face &/or Rock Polish for setting up Speed control.

If it wanted to go AoE, Rock Slide, Earthquake, Stomping Tantrum (Doubles from 75 base power to 150 if previous move missed or failed.) or Bulldoze (A shockwave made by stomping the ground, drops victim's Speed by 1 stage.) might be options.

....However, I see them as less likely, because from what I've read of its Pokedex entries, it might be a bit predisposed to charging. I think it'd at least open with charging more often than not? Maybe if the match goes on long enough that Rhyhorn stops chatging?

For that to happen, it'd have to:

A. Fall asleep.
B. Hit something. (Especially something sturdy, as it's explicitly unbothered by rushing headlong into a block of steel.)
C. Have its Wary Fighter IQ Skill activate, which would make it step back. (AFAIK, guaranteed, if it misses a close-range attack.)

Then it might use 1 of those better moves. But considering Rhyhorn's canonically tiny brain that can't remember more than 1 thing at a time....
Well, what would its circumstances be when it stops? What would it see James doing?

That'd probably be the basis of its next move, if it even can reason enough that "X doing Y means use move Z"/"In this scenario, use move X". The best it has to its intelligence is being a Pokemon, & semi-early dubbed anime Ash's Pokedex claiming Rhyhorn have "considerable offensive and defensive battle skills.", which seems dubious.

Last edited:

What would he shooting with? Also, if accounting for IQ Skills, Rhyhorn not only has a lot of Stamina, but Defender drops its offenses by 20% to boost its Defenses by 30%. So it may be more like 1.885 Megatons for Rhyhorn's Durability if that's on. (It also has good pain tolerance, but not knowing its losing is probably worse, lol.)
With his pistols, Due Process (Not the cannon, his standard guns), theyre the ones that use Gravity Dust.

Also if Rhyhorn does end up geeting too close for comfort James would be perfectly willing to meet its charge head on as a means of stopping it, flipping it over with his higher lifting strength, and allowing him for a clean point blank shot to the head. He would be able to take the brunt of the damage from Rhyhorn's higher AP thanks to his Aura.

Genuinely though, Ironwood as a Huntsmen-trained General fights the sort of mindless creatures like this Rhyhorn often in the form of Grimm. a Rhyhorn would typically be more versatile, but it just seems like another Tuesday when its not gonna have trainers give it commands and that its only gonna rush charge into him as most of its attacks. Ironwood's aura and even the metal in his body would (Rhyhorn would supposedly be weak to 'Steel-type attacks') would prevent him from seriously getting injured for the main force of the fight, and from there he just outskills and outmanouveres.

Are Pokemon still allowed to even use these secondary abilities from other games (Like this Wary IQ skill?) on this wiki? I remember there being some thread that got approved which separate as such.

Genuinely though, Ironwood as a Huntsmen-trained General fights the sort of mindless creatures like this Rhyhorn often in the form of Grimm. a Rhyhorn would typically be more versatile, but it just seems like another Tuesday when its not gonna have trainers give it commands and that its only gonna rush charge into him as most of its attacks. Ironwood's aura and even the metal in his body would (Rhyhorn would supposedly be weak to 'Steel-type attacks') would prevent him from seriously getting injured for the main force of the fight, and from there he just outskills and outmanouveres.

Are Pokemon still allowed to even use these secondary abilities from other games (Like this Wary IQ skill?) on this wiki? I remember there being some thread that got approved which separate as such.
Pokemon is sorta in the middle of a revision to decomposite them so technically they're not but they're allow2d to keep them for the time being because the revision has been going on for months at this point lol

Some Pokémon have access to their hidden ability's (only in rare conditions). But all of Rhyhorn's abilities don't really help in this matchup. Reckless gives it a 1.2 boost when using moves that cause recoil, and Rock Head stops it from taking recoil. (Both doesn't really help because Take Down and Double Edge is the only move that benefits from this and is the only recoil move it learns via level up) (Both Moves are also normal type, so they won't hurt Ironwood too much)​
Lightning Rod is pretty much useless to Rhyhorn.​

Having metal properties to yourself doesn't make you Steel-type to resist Pokemon attacks, because you're not from the Pokemon universe to have types, but attacks that have properties or such should still count as types when the Pokemon is being attacked by them. Metallic attacks probably count as Steel-type to a Pokemon, so it works in the non-Pokemon's favor offensively.

That said, I can't remember which revisions pertaining to Pokemon type stuff are ongoing/unfinished AtM.

Anyway, yeah. If Rhyhorn were bloodlusted, it'd certainly have a chance.

But as is, Rhyhorn almost literally gets rodeo clowned on: It charges forward like a bull against some dude wielding pistols, & he wrangles it (Perhaps even grabbing it by hand due to higher LS.) &/or jumps onto its back. The only difference is if he were in the role of an actual rodeo clown, our human, James might actually be in danger of getting hit.

But as is, high AoE/Environmental Destruction when it hits (Can shatter skyscrapers & mountains with its attacks. Ground might fall apart.), & having 1.45 Megaton AP/Durability (To James's 1 reguarly, 2.68 with Due Process Cannon.) with 1.3x Durability (Via Defender Skill, which is also 20% less AP.) to start with & lots of Stamina are Rhyhorn's main advantage. Maybe more durability with Skull Bash, or a chance to inflict a Flinch or Confusion with Dragon Rush or Rock Climb, respectively.

But I'm pretty confident these aren't enough, & while Rhyhorn might realize to use other moves, LITERALLY being able to remember only 1 thing at a time means it's almost certainly not using its moves skillfully enough to beat James. & if it does figure out something to do, it's probably not going to keep the good plan going if it can't remember the last thing it did to consider what it should do now.

Voting James, Low Difficulty. James literally just has to dodge & shoot a bunch. It takes a while because Rhyhorn has lots of Durability, Stamina & tons of pain tolerance, but it's REALLY dumb & easy to avoid.

Last edited:
Back