• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Jax (League of Legends)

Most of Jax's pre-retcon Lore stats are due to powerscaling due to the *incorrect* notion that he was the only champion that was ever restricted in power. This is false. A majority of champions were restricted in power even pre-retcon. For example, Cho'Gath, Nasus, and Malphite. For two of them their sizes are massively decreased. Nocturne is also held back by a Nexus shard. And yes, this has all been stated by Rioters in the past.

So you can't powerscale Jax to be "better than everyone" and then use their greatest feats to say he's better.

I know what the lore says regarding Jax. I'm a huge League Lore buff, but I also pay attention to what Rioters say officially.

He should be revised back down to street level. He's just ridiculously skilled.

But seriously though, Jax is the only champion the league had to restrict in order to make it fair for him to be on the Fields of Justice, they literally had to create special rules and restrictions specifally because he was so much stronger than everyone else in the League:

"Jax proved himself to be an immediate terror in the Fields of Justice. The self-proclaimed Armsmaster of the League rattled off a streak of consecutive wins that to this day has not been matched. A number of summoners in the League grew concerned that the perceived objectivity of the League of Legends would be questioned by the presence of an unknown fighter who was unbeatable. For this reason, the new leader of the League (following Reginald Ashram's disappearance), High Councilor Heyward Relivash, created special restrictions for Jax to fight under. This was something the League had never done before, and something which has never been done since. The burly fighter responded by imposing his own special conditions; as a means of protest, he permitted himself to fight using only a brass lamppost. Neither the League's sanctions nor his own has affected his winning ways. The League has since rescinded its sanctions, but Jax has not; he fights and fights well with his trusty brass lamppost."

Pre Retcon Nasus was never restricted, neither were Malphite or Nocturne. Changing size isnt restricting them.

Pre-Retcon Jax's stats are perfectly fine the way they are.

Changing size is indeed restricting them. I feel like you guys have decided to overwank him because you thought his Lore sounded really cool. I can go back to the wiki as well and read it. That's pretty easy. You're only going by the wiki for some reason, I know because you aren't bothering to go by anything Rioters have stated.

Nocturne is restricted. The Nexus shard ties him to the material plane.

Fact is, old lore was inconsistent.

"I feel like you guys have decided to overwank him because you thought his Lore sounded really cool."

Smooth. Real smooth.

No, changing their size is not in any way a restriction of their power. Ever hear of Death of the Author? If author statements go against the lore we dont use it. And calling people wankers for no reason reeeeally isnt helping your case right now.

Nocturne being in the bound physical world isnt the same kind of restriction as Jax having limiters put on him to reduce his power.

It was perfectly consistent.

Mainly considering Death of the Author relies on interpretation which in all other cases, you guys don't seem to stand for whatsoever.

Yeah, we dont accept WoG if it contradicts the lore or feats, otherwise the Flash's speed would cap at Relativistic+, Dante would be Universe level, Rick Sanchez would be Multiverse level, Thor wouldnt have superhuman speed, no one in Naruto would be above Supersonic or Town level, i could go on and on.

WoG is meant to contradict Lore. That's part of it's purpose. In this case though it's only clarifying. You can't tell me Malphite isn't restricted "because you say so."

Out of curiousity when did WoG say that about Naruto?

Rune Katashima said:
Out of curiousity when did WoG say that about Naruto?
Masashi Kishimoto said in an old interview somewhere that real life would beat Naruto Ninjas with our firearms, which is obviously false.

You gotta keep in mind the writers generally have no idea the scale of their writings are in terms of power and speed. If we always took their word, our pages would be an utter mess.

Alright, well. I don't necessarily agree with not using WoG still. But knowing that I can acquiesce on that standard.

I also erred when I said street level. I meant more like building level. I've read the tiering system but didn't have it memorized, street level was weaker than I thought.

If we used WoG even when it contradicts feats several Flash incarnations would be sitting at a nice and solid Massively Hypersonic.

Back