• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So right away, there is absolutely nothing here that would be enough to kill Jessica.

The entire Nightside is stated to be unable to affect her with anything thanks to her not believing anything done to her is real. This was stated by John Taylor. And he counts himself among those who can't "put her out of everyone's misery".

Yes, I'm aware that it sounds like an NLF, but this is the Nightside we're talking about. There is a really high threshold for these kinds of statements, especially when even civilian stores in the Nightside sell things like "description theory bombs" that can erase an entire city via Mathematics Manipulation.

It also doesn't help that the Nightside contains the Gun Shop, which has a copy of every weapon ever made in the setting. Including weapons from Green's other novel series, like the Darkvoid Device from Deathstalker which could apparently nuke a thousand stars at once (this one is outright mentioned), and the Deplorable End from Secret Histories which obliterates entire universes (including "higher-dimensional universes") in an instant.

Makes me wonder if anyone has tried the Speaking Gun on her.

Considering the New Authorities thought the Speaking Gun was safer to use than Jessica.

It's possible, but there's no way to say for certain. It's made fairly clear in the first half of the series that most people don't even know where to locate the thing 90% of the time (even though a copy of it is always sitting around in the Gun Shop just waiting to be used, apparently), and the ones who do can never seem to hold onto it for very long

Also, it's stated in Agents that nobody's dared to actually use the thing in centuries, but later books kind of throw that into question somewhat...

It would mean that she's tied as the undisputed most powerful thing in Green's entire multiverse, short of the actual God and Devil of the setting. And that she's not only capable of defeating Lilith, but also capable of thrashing the Lord of Thorns.

Who is God's appointed overseer of the Nightside, legitimately the most powerful thing in the Nightside by some country mileage, and the only character native to the Nightside who I wouldn't assume Jessica could beat in a fight. And is also one of the other two characters John lists alongside Jessica who would beat a prime Merlin Satanspawn in a straight fight.

It would also mean that if anything on the highest end of the verse's statistics were to be upgraded, her erasure powers would scale.

Outside of God and the Devil? (neither of whom actually show up in any books, as far as I've seen)

The Walking Man. The human manifestation of God's wrath on Earth, who wanders the planet bringing sinners to judgement. His abilities boil down to "I can be as fast and strong as I want to be", "I can do whatever I want as long as it helps me perform my job", "I know whatever I need to about whoever it is I'm hunting", "nothing can stop me or affect me as long as I'm doing God's work", and "I never miss".

If I were to sit here and list off all the things he did in the one book he showed up in, this comment would be terribly long. And if I were to list off what the statements surrounding him imply, we'd be here all week.

And yes, he's another character who seems like a walking NLF on steroids. But the nature of Green's setting makes the upper ceiling of those claims extremely high.

If I were to sit here and list off all the things he did in the one book he showed up in, this comment would be terribly long. And if I were to list off what the statements surrounding him imply, we'd be here all week"
Discord bruh

ZacharyGrossman273 said:
If they fought, would... anything survive? Besides god and the devil?
That's part of the reason why we never see them fight, honestly. When the idea of putting Jessica Sorrow against the Walking Man is suggested, everyone in the room at that moment reacts in nothing short of terror, and I'm pretty sure someone even says that they're scared to think of what would happen to reality if the two of them were to clash.

Wait, would the walking man have "Resistance to *list of powers in nightside*"

Which would be... a fuckload of resistances?

It's be more accurate to say "protection against" rather than "resistance to", but, yes. He would.

By consequence of the settings being connected and his powers/protection being ubiquitous within the context of his verse, he'd also resist everything that appears in all of Green's other connected series. But I haven't finished reading those yet.

I don't know about either, admittedly. Examples of them might show up in Secret Histories or Ghost Finders somewhere, but I don't recall anything in the Nightside books that would equate to either of those.

Closest thing for Plot Manipulation that I'm aware of thus far is Shadows Fall. Fictional characters are transported there once their popularity has died, and supposedly all written and spoken legends end up existing there in the end. That's not quite the same thing, though.

I wouldn't say it's that simple. Shadow's Fall is a very real location in the setting, that can be traveled to if you have the right means. "Real" people exist there, and beings native to that realm (like Old Father Time) can head to somewhere else if they feel like it. It just so happens that forgotten fictional characters can also end up there for...reasons that aren't properly explained, I don't think. I'd need to read the actual Shadows Fall book in full before I could say for certain.

Anyway, my point was more that it's possible there might be something plot manip related going on with that location. I just don't have the answer yet, if there is one.

Isn't it explicitly stated that "nothing in science or magic" would effect the walking man?

Which would be straight up resistance?

Also why doesent he have a profile

Yes, but when we see it demonstrated, it's less him resisting and more A) stuff just bouncing off him harmlessly without even damaging his clothes, B) hax abilities sputtering out in his presence when used on him, and C) melee weapons (including Razor Eddie's straight razor) being stopped before they can even touch him. Or in some cases, just shattering across some invisible barrier. The protective side of his power seems to manifest in different ways, specifically to deal with whatever he's being faced with at a given moment.

He doesn't have a profile yet because A) I left before I could make one, and B) I want to finish reading Secret Histories in case there's anything that affects the rating of the verse's cosmology. (Since he scales directly to the top)

So he has weird passive power null?

Also TBH I'd be satisfied to see a sandbox for it because I want to see how stupid this guys powers are

That could be one way to explain it, I suppose.

Well, you'll just have to wait and see like everyone else, now won't you~?

Also I expected you to argue "wait, if her passive power null is based on belief, what if she didn't even know about the existence of the passive whatever

"Oh uh I just wanted to test this Low 1-C passive EE and passive power null character against a High 4-C character".

You keep doing this shit. This can't continue. Do I have to report you before you use your goddamn brain before making matchups?

Saikou The Lewd King said:
"Oh uh I just wanted to test this Low 1-C passive EE and passive power null character against a High 4-C character".
Reopening this to correct one thing:

It's not Low 1-C. It's 1-B. The characters she can erase and powernull currently peak at 1-B, and that includes a guy with numerous magical protections that operate on that level. (and, indeed, are still stated to operate "on more than one level of reality" after he's been severely diminished)

I know that doesn't make things better. I'm just clarifying for future reference. Anyway...

MIB flash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back