• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
I made a similar thread talking about the same things a while back but my lack of knowledge on Part 3 made it difficult to keep the conversation going. Anyway, now that I've seen it I might as well bring this up again since it's still bothering me. JustSomeWeirdo also brought up some similar points that I thought I should mention.

It boils down to two questions I have about scaling the characters:

1. We're basically told that Vampires and Pillar men are weak to Hamon so can we really scale Hamon users in terms of AP to them? For example, how would Jonathan scale to Dio Brando if he needed Hamon to harm him? That's basically a hax that wouldn't work with most other fictional characters (Jonathan would have lower AP if he tried using Hamon to harm a non-vampiric fictional character).

2. JustSomeWeirdo's main point was that DIO needs to regenerate every time Star Platinum hits him. Whenever he gets hit his body is visibly mangled or heavily maimed and he regens to put himself back to normal again. Shouldn't this also get in the way of scaling actual AP/Durabilty between them?

1. While this is true, Jonathan had also landed a punch to Dio's face and had actually damamged him without Hamon, Hamon is just used to put down the undead much faster and without trouble

2. After a while, I have changed my mind about this point as DIO shouldn't be significantly weaker than Dio and he had also taken hits from City Block level characters such as Kakyoin right before finishing him off

1. Really? I don't remember this. What fight was this?

2. Even if DIO was more powerful than Dio, there's still no concrete evidence that he could take on SP's attacks. And I'm not too sure about Kakyoin being city block level since characters with a C or B rank in strength being city block level seem like outliers to me, but I understnad the reasoning.

1. I will pull up a scan as soon as I find it

2. Stand ranks are basically meaningless when it comes to scaling

Stand rankings are used for scaling, but if they have damaged stands with higher rankings than their own or have higher destructive feats, then "possibly 8-B" or whatever is added on top of their current ranking.

^Which they almost always have, and I'll correct myself

They're meaningless in most cases as they usually have battled either a JoJo's Stand or a Stand that had already fought a JoJo's Stand

It is probably best to inform Arigarmy about this thread.

The problem with that scan, and keep in mind most of my info is from the anime adaptation, is that in that instance the hamon from the punch does damage Dio but he uses vaporizing freeze to stop it from spreading and damaging the rest of his body. So effectively, Jonathan still uses hamon to damage Dio. Him stopping the hamon is only done afterwards to stop it from effecting him further.

There was absolutely no hamon damage done, Hamon cannot be stopped once it's in the body of a vampire, as Dio had to resort to cutting off his head once Hamon actually went into his body, and I believe it was even stated that the Hamon never went into Dio with that punch

I looked at the volume where that scan comes from and the blood coming from Dio probably has more to do with the fact his body has been cut in half and less to do with actually being punched (considering we never seem him bleed like then when being attacked by a non-hamon attack anywhere else).

Once again, probably has something to do with the fact Dio has been cut in half. I imagine he's barely at his best.

He's even knocked off of the balcony from the punch that actually did have Hamon flow through to Dio, Hamon doesn't send people flying

On closer inspection, Jonathan does manage to cut one of Dio's arm off with a non-hamon sword swing. That could count.

I guess piercing attacks like swords can bypass conventional durability to a small extent though so I'm not fully sure.

Yeah, I'll give it a pass, but that still doesn't explain Joseph and Ceaser in part 2 having the same ranking. They rely more on hamon and non-confrontational strategies to win than Jonathan so it's doubtful they'd have the same natural AP/Durabilty.

But with the Pillar Men, you actually have to break through their skin, like how just hitting Santana with a hamon charged attack wouldn't work

It has to actually pass through though, Joseph hit Santana with Hamon and thought it didn't even do anything

Back