• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Lapis Flight Speed Upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Everlasting said:
This reminds me of how Homestuck tries saying no character can go faster-than-light when feats repeatedly contradict it.
It's the same here.
Remember when we had all ftl Homestuck characters as relativistic+?Good times Also,im pretty sure even one of the characters called bs on that.Don't remember if it was John or Hussie tho

Anyway,i agree with the upgrade.

According to the OBD, the gem world feat scales to the entire cast. Including Steven.

I believe that'd make it an outlier by our standards.

The obd's Steven universe profiles are horribly outdated. The feat literally only scales to lapis and no one else as no one has reacted to her flying at mftl+ speeds

I can ask TTGL about it, but I believe Jasper shot Lapis out of the sky, which causes a chain reaction of backwards scaling.

Not even going to bother with this thread. It's quite clear that regardless of what I think or use to prove what I'm saying, the upgrade is going to go through either way.

Chartate101 said:
yeah, thats how democracy works.
That's not what I meant. I mean the second mods usually even say anything on these threads, they get backing usually. I don't need sarcastic remarks. I'm not attempting to detail either. Just focus on the upgrades and don't mention me again.

Alright, so I dissagree with this thread and I will adress what some are thinking. In adventures in light disortion and in the minsode that RenamaticFury linked, [[1]] [[2]] [[3]] Both of these statements outright confirm that Gems are just light projections. Alright, so by definition, light projections wouldn't be able to go faster than light and thus Lapis being MFTL+ is an outlier since it contridicts the very concept of the crystal gems. So, there is no problem with the feats themselves, it's just that the feats contridict the concept of the crystal gems. "But Superman states that he can't go FTL yet he has shown MFTL+ feats!" The difference between Superman and Lapis is that while Superman has a few statements that are contridicted by a plethorah of MFTL+ feats, Lapis' feats contridict the concept of being a gem. Let me put it in an analogy for you. Say Goku states that he couldn't accelerate to be relativistic in 1 millisecond but he does anyone Then say a human ( a regular human, like you and me) states that he can't accelerate to be relativistic in 1 millisecond but he does anyway Unlike Goku, a regular human would die from that insane acceleration and thus regular humans couldn't be relativistic while Goku could be relativistic because it doesn't contridict basic logic. But that's just my two cents on the matter.

@031 As Ever brought up, Homestuck says multiple times that they cant go FTL, yet there are multiple FTL feats in the series. The same applies here. By definition ANYTHING that goes FTL contradicts going FTL just by the physics of what going FTL would do to something.

I didn't read any of the discussion but: What stops Lapis from having some unknown ability, both allowing her to go FTL and not breaking the rule than Gems can't go FTL without additional protection? Like, for all we know she may be able to enter the Warp space and have shorter distance without breaking the light speed. Or maybe she has whatever lets Gems keep their bodies on the FTL ships. You don't need to break canon to make this work

Also, let me point out something here. In the scene, where we see how Gems can't fly at FTL, we see them catch up with the ship instantly, even tho it should take them hours to catch up even at light speed even if we assume the Zoo was literally in the solar system. The "Gems can't go FTL" is disproven in the same moment it is established in

WeeklyBattles said:
The zoo is actually a little less than 70 lightyears away
Well, technically, it's 70 lightyears at most, since chances are, the ship wasn't flying exactly at light speed before activating gravity engine

Tipoima said:
Also, let me point out something here. In the scene, where we see how Gems can't fly at FTL, we see them catch up with the ship instantly, even tho it should take them hours to catch up even at light speed even if we assume the Zoo was literally in the solar system. The "Gems can't go FTL" is disproven in the same moment it is established i
I think that's more a question of what happens when they suddenly go from FTL to not-FTL. Seeing as you're literally talking about them being dragged behind the ship, that means it is not disproven. It's just that it doesn't take them hours to catch up if they return to slower than light speeds.

Damage3245 said:
Tipoima said:
Also, let me point out something here. In the scene, where we see how Gems can't fly at FTL, we see them catch up with the ship instantly, even tho it should take them hours to catch up even at light speed even if we assume the Zoo was literally in the solar system. The "Gems can't go FTL" is disproven in the same moment it is established i
I think that's more a question of what happens when they suddenly go from FTL to not-FTL. Seeing as you're literally talking about them being dragged behind the ship, that means it is not disproven. It's just that it doesn't take them hours to catch up if they return to slower than light speeds.
Which would still mean they are going FTL one way or another.

Merely being light projection does not necessitate being unable to go past the speed of light. The ship itself, as well as any physical character who goes FTL, suffers from the same problem, since the speed of light is the speed-limit for any object in general, much more so one with mass. Stevem himself travels at the speed of light, after all, which if anything would make this statement rather than Lapis traveling at lightspeed, the research failure. The instances talking about gems as made of light are irrelevant to their speed- the only thing that is not is affirmation of the limit in their case.
They were indeed shown to unable to reach the ship, and it was explaned with speed. Assuming the explanation is correct in principle, and knowing about Lapis, we could arrive at the conclusion that the "solid light" comprising the gems- a peculiar phenomenon on its own- does indeed have a speed limit. This limit however is higher than the normal speed of light, at least for some gems.
Either that or the precise way the ship enters lightspeed is incompatible with gem biology (not the speed itself), since they did catch up with the ship after it slowed down, which would require traveling even faster than the ship: they traveled almost the entire length in a shorter period of time.

The last option is: Lapis travels without a body at lightspeed. Gems are conscious when in gem form so she could use her water-wings projected from it.

And why the hell would the gems build a ship they can't use, anyway?!

The ship is explicitly stated to bend reality

Plus I'm almost 100% positive the ship Lars is currently piloting with his Gem crew has gone ftl before considering they've been flying around the galaxy

WeeklyBattles said:
The ship is explicitly stated to bend reality
Plus I'm almost 100% positive the ship Lars is currently piloting with his Gem crew has gone ftl before considering they've been flying around the galaxy
I'm not trying to contribute to the thread anymore, but your assumption is backed up by the fact they're not affected by that when...? Assumption stack literally since you are making an assumption of another active assumption.

Because theres so much contradicting the statement that Gems cant go FTL that the statement itself is basically illegitimate

WeeklyBattles said:
Because theres so much contradicting the statement that Gems cant go FTL that the statement itself is basically illegitimate
That's legitimately changing from what I said. You are attempting to debunk it via making an outright assumption that is unsubstantiated.

• The Gems' bodies catch up to a ship after it has gone FTL seconds after it stopped after it traveled dozens of lightyears directly after saying they cant go FTL
  • Lars' crew are just fine traveling in a ship that can travel through the galaxy in short periods of time
  • Lapis has two blatant MFTL+ feats
Its safe to say the claim that they cant go FTL is wrong

Since the ship bends reality, is it even possible to extrapolate from what happens during this time to the general universe?
It could explain the contradiction- either the new situation lowered the gem speed limit, or the gems could not adjust to the new reality. Their bodies kept behind not because they were slow but because the way the ship bended reality prohibited their stay.

If the gems have a speed limit at all, it seems clear that it is higher than the speed of light as we know it.

I don't mind Lapis having MFTL+ travel speed since that line about gems not going FTL was only mention in one episode while Lapis has two feats of going MFTL+ .

Feats>Statments

Would Malachite get MFTL+ travel speed too if this happens?

WeeklyBattles said:
* The Gems' bodies catch up to a ship after it has gone FTL seconds after it stopped after it traveled dozens of lightyears directly after saying they cant go FTL
  • Lars' crew are just fine traveling in a ship that can travel through the galaxy in short periods of time
Its safe to say the claim that they cant go FTL is wrong
If they could go FTL the whole time, why did their bodies lag behind the ship in the first place?

The reason they lagged behind is because the ship wasn't set up right; otherwise Gems could never spaceships at all. The fact thar Lars' crew are fine simply means their ship was set up right and piloted correctly.

The way I see it, the lore specifically stated, and the show specifically displayed the fact that gems CAN'T go FTL, no matter the poor writing and contradictions.

We don't disregard "Saiyans can't survive in space" just because it's been contradicted a few times. Especially since we've seen this in affect before by Goku requiring oxygen when he was the victim of a drowning attempt by Frieza. Twice.

LeopoldTheBrave said:
The way I see it, the lore specifically stated, and the show specifically displayed the fact that gems CAN'T go FTL, no matter the poor writing and contradictions.
We don't disregard "Saiyans can't survive in space" just because it's been contradicted a few times. Especially since we've seen this in affect before by Goku requiring oxygen when he was the victim of a drowning attempt by Frieza. Twice.
They specifically displayed Gems going FTL 10 seconds before stating they can't. And that still doesn't account for whatever abilities Lapis could have, that potentially allow her to break this "rule".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back