• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Large Red Dwarf Revision

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, uh, yeah

Fixing things up
So obviously the preface this there are some minor additions, either obvious or formatting based to clear up.

Firstly, in the formatting for Kryten's profile I think he should have prep and optional equipment put into separate keys from his usual self, I also think the red dwarf should have its own profile- in which a few extra things should be added, which I will get into later.

In terms of revamping existing powers, some I will get to later but I'm honestly surprised at the fact that I didn't link the quantum crystals as having quantum manipulation. While yes, the effects allow for precognition and cosmic awareness via creating quantum entanglements to occur that alert them to potential futures and changes in the universe- it is obviously about creating quantum entanglements between things passively (this includes creating them between yourself) and achieves other effects via this, so it should be listed as such.

Now, due to statis booths Kryten should have a likely non combat applicable quantum and space time manipulation ability- as stated in season 1 episode 1 when Todd Todd hunter describes what they are shown here ([[1]]).

Other obvious changes would be giving the Inquisitor and his time gauntlet in general perfect precognition- as in the scales posted in includes one focusing on him in "limbo" where he was able to see future timelines, so the scans are literally already there.

Kryten also shouldn't have immortality type 1, as his lifespan was stated as being 6 million years in "Krysis" (which was literally the plot of the episode).

Focusing on things that were literally the point of the episode Kryten should have resistance to time manipulation, as the plot of "backwards" involved the "Boys from the Dwarf" falling into a time hole which brought them to a period during the Big Crunch- where time was moving inwards as well as space, yet despite these changes The protagonists were relatively unaffected, hence them actually noticing everyone else.

Kryten should also decidedly get a supergenius intelligence ranking, as it is with pointing out that the feats listed in his intelligence were those done with the extremely limited resources of the red dwarf (they literally don't have the technology to fix a pool table easily and by the later seasons have robots that just spontaneously explode from time to time) and under an extremely limited period of time. To name ones that come to mind, Kryten was capable of enhancing a character that doesn't know how to count to 10's intelligence to that of nigh omniscience (which will be discussed later) in literally a few hours, was capable of building a "prism laser" in "only the good" that could either create or create a gateway to a diametrically opposite universe in at most an hour with scavenged materials from a corroded cargo bay, and in the period of a month could the millions of years broken quantum skipper (which will be discussed later) with the resources of the red dwarf.

Also due to the terrible BTE 3 part special it is stated that he can resist the effects of the despair squids hallucinogens, which is perception manipulation and sleep manipulation

Legio
Currently Legion's profile is somewhat lacking due to the lack of specific feats however there is more to add. First of all, he should have some form of light manipulation as he created the "hard light drive" which was essentially a projection system that outputted interactive light, thus could be seen as some form of energy manipulation. He also should have limited perception manipulation due to his "cyberpark" which played out any fantasy the user had with incredible detail, or such was referenced by him in the episode. More importantly however I believe he should get some form of abstract existence, likely type 1. This is due to the fact that throughout his presentation his form is only referred to as a collective intelligence, who is exponentially superior to the sum of its parts. It's made even more clear by the fact that he described himself as literally nothing when people weren't on his research ship- his entire existence just being whoever is, this is shown to be fact by the scene of his awakening, pictured here.

7C63E8E9-A734-4D31-9DFD-31BCC65BCC36
43A30849-162B-4BDA-ADCF-3C69A27D3E0D
EDA6C1C7-3E17-4AF4-86A9-9EB3125A27B5
50DADE48-06D1-43C1-A109-FDDC85B909FE

From this is pretty clear to see that some immaterial presence (their consciousness) flew of the team of the red dwarf and flew to a good position, completely forming Legion in his entirety. It's also worth noting that the only time he's ever been physically interacted with it has just been him being the one engaging in such interaction, and choosing to do so.

Speed
What isn't noted down on the red dwarf profiles is that red dwarf follows the theory of special relativity, somewhat. In that when one goes faster than light they violate time itself (or space time) and as shown in literally the whole plot of "future echoes" can phase briefly into the future, creating such future echoes as events from the future. Therefore, this is fairly clearly a very weak form of immeasurable speed- due to the brief time travelling effect. This was done with the Red Dwarf's accelerator and should be noted as such on the profile. Note this does not apply to ships calculated to be MFTL as they aren't canonically FTL, just that light is apparently extremely fast in red dwarf. As well as this, the chronos drive in season 11 "Twentica" was owned by the crew and could be used by expanoids that stole them to travel in time. This effect is very clearly speed based, as they instigated it by "accelerating" and the only way the crew could chase them through time was by flying into their (effective) "slipstream". Adding on from that Kryten (and possibly Legion) should have it listed on their profile that they have communication (and friendship) with a nigh omnipresent entity. This is found in "Krysis" where they meet the "universe" (note that in RD the universe the characters are on is probably the prime one) that claims to be "all space, matter, energy, time" etc. This should be omniscience limited at a universal scale, but it might be higher as Zachary has informed me, if it is higher than this should effect other characters who have good enough feats.

Minor low level AP and Dura changes
I think that the red dwarf should be listed as being 7-A physically (via size which is listed in the profile) and 4-B via the thermonuclear bomb (as it was using that the 4-B feat was achieved). As for other issues, Kryten's dura and bazookoid power should be listed at Wall Level+, possibly Small Building Level. This is because fragmentation of steel doors, which was what Kryten was subjected to is Wall Level+ and Kryten was barely effected, he showed no damage and was merely briefly discombobulated (after having this done to him 33 times). As shown in "Demons and Angels" "High" Kryten was hurt by bazookoids and was killed by some other bomb, and later on in the episode normal Kryten is made to dodge the bazookoid fire because it genuinely could do damage to him. Either way (even if it is ranked at wall level+) this should scale to the inquisitor making him 9-A as he scaled to his dura and simulants are stated to be entirely immune to bazookoid fire via just being indestructible.

Nigh Omniscience for Holly
As seen in this clip here ([[2]]) Holly claims to know literally "everything" including the meaning of life, all physics, metaphysics and other philosophy and etc. In fact, this is literally only seen to not apply to how to increase her lifespan, which could be seen as impossible anyway and something an infinite amount of knowledge wouldn't be able to help with, or the fact that she was unaware Talkie Toaster wasn't going to not ask toast related question for some reason (yes I know nigh omniscience rendered only incomplete by some annoying toaster seems strange but this is red dwarf so who knows), this is found on Kryten's profile and possibly scales to Legion as he was the exponential sum of multiple people's intelligence (and yet again, was only limited by the fact he didn't know how to prolong his lifespan meaningfully)

Acausality
So, er, Kryten should have acausality type 1 for various reasons. Firstly in "Twentica" he wasn't erased after the expanoids halted all technology, in "White Hole" the timeline was erased and yet in "Demons and Angels" Lister could recall memories from it, without anybody questioning this. As well as this, in "Out of Time" the entire universe was erased and formed two realities to make up for it, with the anomalies caused by the paradox appearing in both realities, Dave Lister was able to recall this information, as was the rest of the crew

Possible 5-D Red Dwarf
Alright, so before I start this appears to only apply to hax and not ap for the time being. Alright, so let's begin. In "Parallel Universe" Holly creates the "Holly Hop Drive" which can hop to any point in space in about 3 or so seconds. However for some reason the crew end up in an alternate universe, as Holly puts it they "passed through the fifth dimension" explaining the fifth dimension as such "the first dimension is length, the second is breadth, the third is depth, the fourth is time and the fifth is coexisting realities, bodies that share the same space yet are unaware of each other's existence" so to first point out, the show makes a clear parallel to other dimensions, showing that the fifth dimension here at least seems like a legitimate dimension. However, it doesn't really seem to make much sense for a lot of reasons partially because other universes are obviously not Cartesian dimensions. It seems the best way to interpret this statement is that the 5th dimension "concerns coexisting realities" and makes more sense for t he fifth dimension to be the space in which these bodies reside. We can at least determine that multiversal interaction has something to do with the fifth dimension, it may also be worth noting that the Holly hop drive is stated to "hop" into another place in space and yet this just looks like teleportation, this could be referring to a model for stacking the dimensions and then being able to hop over them to end up anywhere in space. This is consistent with the famous episode "Dimension Jump" in which at the beginning of the episode Ace Rimmer gets an upgrade to his ship, his previous ship capable of travelling 2 times faster than light and the new one literally "breaking the speed of reality". As we have previously stated red dwarf follows the theory of general relativity somewhat, being as fast as light makes you "faster" than space time, the same should definitely apply for the double. However "faster" than space time is the "reality" being referred to here. Therefore reality is "faster" or more complex than the concept of space time- indicating 5th dimensionality, and yet again, this refers to multiversal interaction as by achieving this speed you can travel to other realities. It's also worth pointing out the machine working in action again, as it appears to teleport in and out of dimensions, not just being faster than light and therefore not being hit by it, but literally fading in and out of physicality (hitting Starbug as it does so), again referring to the ascendance of dimensions. Now, to tie this to how it influences profiles- in "Skipper" Kryten creates a quantum anomaly that passes in the universe, its presence causing a lesion in space time, another effect of it was the fact that other realities began to feed into the prime one, based on what actions they didn't do. From previously stated evidence clearly the only means of multiversal interaction (with most universes) was by interacting with this higher dimension, and there are possible signs of it being at play here. Namely a "quantum anomaly" would be the only way to observe a higher dimensional occurrence in a 3 dimensional universe, as quantum particles are considered to be influenced by activity in higher dimensions (with this usually being interpreted as a higher dimensional object with a lower dimensional subatomic form), this includes strong theory. It is worth noting that the episode was originally going to be called "Star Knot" as a description of the anomaly, essentially just a parody on string theory- with it probably being assumed that it was some knot between higher dimensional strings or whatever.This leads me to propose that the quantum skipper is causality manipulation, caused by reality warping at a 5-D level- and that the red dwarf should be given some form of higher dimensional manipulation resistance, given it could pass through the fifth dimension unharmed.

Have some more evidence of technology in red dwarf being stated to be 5-D but I'll just wait for people's response before I start spending ages trying to find comic scans

The space between universes being 5-D means manipulating 5-D stuff would be Low 1-C. But I don't particular remember anyone actually manipulating 5-D stuff

I explained this in the thread. The space between universes is 5-D, ergo literally making universes collide with each other is 5-D, plus the holly hop drive itself seemed to make red dwarf transcend dimensions so Holly is probably 5-D.

Most of this seems fine, although I am not really sure about the Acausality stuff. People retaining memories from erased or overwritten timelines is a common trope in fiction that doesn't necessarily correpond to a special ability, at least not without more context. That feels like saying Marty McFly (or everyone in Back to the Future, for that matter) is Acausal, or something of the sort.

I am unsure on how we treat more realistic depictions of FTL such as this one in terms of Speed, so I'll leave it alone for now.

If the quantum anomaly was capable of making alternate realities blend and feed into each other, hence having necessarily affected 5-dimensional space to do so, then I wouldn't have much issue with Low 1-C hax or something of the sort, but I am uncertain. Do you have more context on the anomaly's effects?

I mean, I think that stuff being a justification for acausality is fairly common on the wiki, Sabrina Spellma for instance has it. It also isn't always generic stuff, like when they remembered the erasure of reality after the occurrence of an infective time paradox and when the pockets of space time they entered upon interacting with the "White Hole" (or inverse of a black hole) was destroyed, with the time loop complications making it so the pockets of space time they were inhabiting also ceased to exist.

good call tbf

Not particularly, it arose from a device that could create the quantum anomaly, fix it and cause the user to be able to "quantum skip" to the bodies of themselves in alternate realities. There are other 5-D statements and technology though, one in a random comic and one reference to a pan dimensional GELF

@Ultima & Kepekley

Thank you for helping out.

I just said how it wasn't generic timeline erasure though, which would be considered plot induced stupidity or whatever in other media

Isn't there a new rule regarding adding scans and stuff? You can explain the stuff to me as much as you want and I would only be able to say "yes, the interpretation you give me sounds like x" or "no, the interpretation you give me does not sound like x".

Translation: gib scans for the more important stuff.

What stuff do you want specifically? The 5-D evidence was stuff that was discussed with Ultima and given evidence for from before the CRT was made. I'll link scans to acausality if you do please, though I did reference the episodes they appeared in but I obviously don't expect you to sit through half of red dwarf for this CRT.

As for immeasurable speed that was literally the concept of the entire future echoes episode, so if you need proof just look it up in google and see what the plot is summarised as

I can't confirm the 5-D stuff or anything if I don't have scans. So anything you want my opinion of, include scans for. Otherwise it's just text with no correlation to the source material.

I know

5-D scans: [[1]] at 8:48 Holly states the exact quotation I provided, [[2]] at 4:48 the speed of reality is stated to be superior to space time (which for more context look here: [[3]])

Some other things that I realise now:

This mainly comes under the minor adjustments category but Kryten and his weapons should be given High Hypersonic+ speed (as I was told on discord) as shown here [[4]] bazookoid fire moves faster than the eye can see, with a projectile the size of a bazookoid being able to achieve this requiring this much speed: [[5]]. Kryten scales to the Cat who as shown in Polymorph at [[6]] 14:30 to be as fast as bazookoid fire. Furthermore Kryten has shown multiple times to be able to do something akin to mind manipulation via neurological editing, as a relatively large concept in red dwarf is that the human personality can be dissected into data, which allows a mind to have all its contents be wiped and then have a data copy be placed inside another brain- or be used for any countless other applications. This is why one of the main characters is a hologram as the entire crew has their personality digitalised and stored for later use (which can include being resurrected as a holographic projection). This is the entire plot of bodyswap ([[7]] and has a large presence in M-Corp ([[8]]). Each time Kryten carries out the operation, wiping and digitalising minds, reinstalling them, and even creating an entirely new personality based on CCTV footage. He has an upgraded version in the canon comics which is apparently 4-D
3BE85782-478C-4A24-99E6-FD7BEC139187

Moritzva said:
I'm going to look through this later, following for now. (Also, that's a long list, Ant, aha.)
Thanks. I only suggested to ask a few random staff members from the list though.

wut are you talking about clearly Red Dwarf is the most important and most complex verse on the wiki and we need as many commenting as we can. I mean honestly just put the CRT on the highlighted list already

Oh also Kryten should have data transmutation as he was able to teleport him and his crew members into the M-Corp virtual environment which obviously requires them being digital (on the scans I just linked) and his matter manipulation should be upgraded to macro quantic as his nanobots recreated the ship which involved installing quark level matter antimatter thrusters [[1]] shown at 17:10

Kryten's nanobots are also stated to be so small that a sock basket is the size of a universe to them [[1]](24:20). According to my calculations that is at least 4.805e-74

So the 5-D statement doesn't seem reliably Low 1-C. They just say "we've entered the 5th dimension" which... isn't even Low 1-C in our system anymore, due to tiering system changes. So I reject that, methinks. Speed of reality thing just... seems to be dimensional travel? I'm not entirely certain how this correlates to Low 1-C. It isn't causing damage or anything, it just allows the guy to travel to an alt-reality.

I don't see anything to suggest 5-D fuckery, basically, just Dimensional Travel.

Mr. Bambu seems to make sense. Thank you for helping out.

I used that statement to back up the nature of there being a dimensional membrane as such, it was for consistencies sake, plus the statement of what dimensions something has can be useful for tiering, it just no longer works as complete justification. Furthermore that statement accepted the quantifiably superior nature of dimensions by comparing the 5th dimension to all others. I think you failed to understand my logic in suggesting that clip, I never said he was doing damage. I never even suggested that ability was 5-D, just that the explanation suggested the cosmology being 5-D because the space between dimensions is inherently superior to any conception of space time.

None of those statements suggested a character or technology being higher dimensional and I never said they were, I only said a cosmology that was such.

" plus the statement of what dimensions something has can be useful for tiering, it just no longer works as complete justification."

Sure, but this would be questionable even in the old system. In the new system they mean very little. I may have misunderstood, but this was largely because this was all under the Possibly 5-D thing. I didn't pick up any of the stuff you're laying down, frankly, not in regards to Low 1-C. Not even for the cosmology.

The 5-D thing was already discussed before the CRT and before now during it so I honestly didn't really want to discuss so much as it would mean the scale of the CRT would cause it to go on forever. Although at this point for each individual category I think I should add an opponent and proponent section.

Anyway to explain my reasoning in another way, the claims of the space alternate realities share are valid under a system as not only do they tie to popular physical theories (as Ultima tells me) but they are also directly compared to the relationship with lower dimensions- which clearly implies that they have the same quantifiable (or uncountably infinite) difference between them. The fact that crossing dimensions involves "breaking the speed of reality" when the "speed of space time" in essence was already broken clearly puts an emphasis on the fact that the "reality" in question is far more complex.

More stuff

White Hole: [[1]]

So in Red Dwarf they had their own (kinda simplified) idea of a white hole. The White Hole here is stated to return time and space back into the universe, creating random pockets of space time that stop cause and effect from being effective as everything becomes disordered. Due to the diameter of a white hole's effects being stated to bear comparability to the entire universe these pockets can be seen as comparable to isolated space time continuums that are essentially low 2-C. Firstly, all characters should gain resistance to space time manipulation as Kryten states that they can resist the effects by concentration, this is not shown to be an supernatural ability in red dwarf and merely something anyone can achieve. Secondly, since these pockets were being spewed out over a period of days the amount of universes can be equated to 2-C and possibly 2-B, this scales to the characters acausality, because as stated previously they could remember the events thereafter. Furthermore The Inquisitor (Red Dwarf) was shown to be able to erase people from time as such that they couldn't be remembered by those that could remember the events of the white hole, meaning his hax scales above it.

Okay, so Ultima spoke to me on discord and said he changed his mind about the scans I have provided being acceptable for a 5-D red dwarf cosmology. However we seemed to have agreed that the dimensional membrane frequently referenced to be the space all universes share should be higher than the existing universes. This leads me to the use of one of the worst things to happen in Red Dwarf and use one of the worst sequences in history to justify a HD multiverse. [[1]], here exists another universe created from hallucination (but still referenced to be existent) that from its perspective deems the red dwarf universe as a lower concept as well as invalid and non-existent. The adventure itself is also referred to as "metaphysical" (which obviously doesn't refer to the philosophical study regarding the abstract but can likely be identified as transcendent). This justifies a low 1-C ranking being present for the multiverse (and ergo the quantum skipper) and possibly far higher as all humans should be capable of dreaming higher dimensions, which would include those in the BTE reality, and it doesn't even require assumption to assume this extends to an at least 1-B ranking as the 2-A part of the red dwarf multiverse is stated to possess a universe for every possible decision that could be made meaning at least 1 person dreamt that in a higher dimension someone dreamt, that in a higher dimension someone dreamt and so the cycle continues even while the original 3-D being woke up.

I was initially warry on classifying this as being Low 1-C due to other verses getting different treatments for similar cases (Dragon Ball Heroes comes to mind, for instance), but given that here it's explicitly stated that the "Real World" sees the Red Dwarf universe as being "invalid" and nonexistent, as opposed to it being just a wacky parallel universe where the latter happens to be just a TV Show because of sheer numerical possibility with no reality-fiction differences involved, I suppose I am fine with it.

I'd like to see what others think, though.

Apologies

After speaking with Tago on Discord, to my understanding the idea is the universe is Low 2-C, beings that view this universe as fictional are Low 1-C. It was worded weirdly but if this is the case then yes, said beings would be Low 1-C via being a layer above the universe.

No problem. Have we reached an agreement here then?

Believe so, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back