• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Legolas LotR Content Revision

Currently some of his page reads thus:

Speed: Peak Human

Range:
Standard melee range. 24 km with bow

First and foremost why in the world does he have a 24 kilometer range with his bow? When did Legolas ever snipe someone in another city? And of course, if there's some hidden feat I don't know of, it wouldn't hurt to add that justification to the page. I tried looking through the history and, so far as I can tell, it goes from 'hundred of meters' to '24 kilometers' without any explanation given.

Also is the speed including only his physical speed or does that also factor in the speed of his arrows? Because they fly above a standard human speed for a longbow if you count the movies. Most instances are slower and the arrows are always conveniantly lit up even with no light source handy but some like when he kills Wormtongue actually offer above peak human shots.

Depending how you count the frames it will require anywhere from 18 - 11 (plausibly 10 but I didn't calc that) frames for the arrow to reach Wormtongue- who is 500 feet up in the air from Legolas' position. Ignoring how triangles work for the moment since he's clearly aiming almost straight up- that's 500 feet or so to travel (Legolas is on a horse, Wormtongue's feet are 500 feet up and he's got his own height, plus the triangle that I can't be bothered with) in somewhere between 0.72 and 0.44 seconds.

500 / 0.72 = 694.44 feet per second

500 / 0.44 = 1136.36 feet per second

The speed of sound is 1125.33 feet per second btw.

Most compound bow speeds I've seen are topping out around 300 feet per second. Longbows are slower than that in reality. His arrows can reach superhuman velocities- not peak human. Which would make sense- even if he wasn't an Elf seeing as they're just better than humans in LotR. Legolas was given a bow with Galadrial's hair tied to it in order to make his arrows faster. While the movie does not specify this occurred- Legolas DOES change bows in the movies going from his dark Mirkwood one to the lighter-toned Bow of the Galadhrim.

Back