• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Let's make this Wiki easier to read

Is this the right place for this? Either way…

Let’s take a look at Goku’s page for example.

5XjpI8e.png

Isn’t this really bad formatting? Its hard to read this. I can’t be the only one, right? When characters get lots of abilities, it gets hard to read. So, I propose we change the text formatting to make it more readable.

There are many ways to do it, perhaps separate singular ability to a line or bullet point listing. Anything to lessen giant walls of text.

Since this is Wiki for statistics, there is nothing wrong with using those. It would likely make it far better to read. Newcomers trying to find info on characters will have much harder time reading pages as they are.

Furthermore, what is the ordering for abilities? Perhaps they should be in alphabetical order too for convenience.

I think Attack Potency lists can also be confusing, especially if there are multiple keys. Its hard to keep track of what key is what for less familiar characters.

Main problem is that this will take time. But that’s ok. This Wiki is said to be “work in progress”. Even if it is slowly, a slow improvement over time is still good idea.

TLDR: Long texts are hard to read on this Wiki, can we change the formatting on some?

I don't really mind but, maybe we can divide between some type of attacks (Physical/ Ranged, for example) ? To separate abilities like you say, we first would need to classify them in some way

Like Physiology Abilities, Skill Abilities, Magic Abilities, just some ideas

How exactly would we make it easier to read without the process becoming very complicated and potentially inflating the page?

Not a problem for me either, I have no issues reading the profile. Separating the physical and ranged aspects would just make this even longer NGL

Just a note that I do not think that bullet points work within tabbers, and the lists would turn too long in this manner.

Unfortunately I do not think that we have any better available options than what we currently use.

Just want to note that as far as I can tell, bullet points do work within tabbers.

How practical it would be is another matter though.

EDIT: If you want to propose alternative methods, try putting some together in a sandbox so we can make a fair evaluation of them in practice.

So, what you are proposing is making the P&A be formatted like how Notable attack sections are?

Wouldn't making it a bullet point list just make the list longer? Sure, it's not a massive clusterfuck of text, but the length of the page will probably be quite a lot longer.

Just a note that I do not think that bullet points work within tabbers, and the lists would turn too long in this manner.

Unfortunately I do not think that we have any better available options than what we currently use.
Actually, it does work. I have tried the OP's method on one of my sandboxes, and bullet points worked within tabbers. Though, I agree with you that it might make the list a bit too long.

I haven't edited in sandbox so I wasn't sure how to do that.

I'll eventually show suggestion, but in the mean time, is the suggestion of ordering abilities in alphabetical order fine? Or is there order I'm not aware of.

EDIT: Longer page doesn't mean harder to read page necessarily. Cluster of text usually is harder to read than not.

Well, for a very quick prototype, this should work. Using BoG Goku abilities list as an example. Top is original, bottom is hypothetical.

I didn't quite reorder them alphabetically and not all abilities are given separate point. The below list is indeed longer and needs scrolling, but individual abilities are easier to spot and if it was in alphabetical order it would also help users find specific abilities. If you were unfamiliar with all abilities, the bottom list is newcomer friendly.

With that said, oh my god that's a pain to edit lol. Separating to points and reordering would be very time consuming.

Well, for a very quick prototype, this should work. Using BoG Goku abilities list as an example. Top is original, bottom is hypothetical.

I didn't quite reorder them alphabetically and not all abilities are given separate point. The below list is indeed longer and needs scrolling, but individual abilities are easier to spot and if it was in alphabetical order it would also help users find specific abilities. If you were unfamiliar with all abilities, the bottom list is newcomer friendly.

With that said, oh my god that's a pain to edit lol. Separating to points and reordering would be very time consuming.
Resistances also need to be kept separate from powers and abilities.

Yes, especially applied on around 26,000 character profile pages, and as stated above, bullet points would likely turn the pages too long in the first place, when lots of abilities are listed, so there are drawbacks with either option, and as such most likely not worth the enormous effort involved to apply, especially as we have other important unfinished wiki revisions projects.

I just want to note that not every proposed revision has to be something applied to all 26,000 pages in a short span of time. There's always options for introducing things gradually.

Other important wiki projects to finish up first though are a good concern.

Yeah, I honestly kinda am ok with not doing this.

No one deserves to go through this kind of slog lmao

I still think overly long ability lists can be problematic. It would only have to be overly long lists that get this and definitely not a fast priority.

On other note, maybe using tabbers for Attack Potency keys? Might be more clear when character can have many forms there too.

I just want to note that not every proposed revision has to be something applied to all 26,000 pages in a short span of time. There's always options for introducing things gradually.

Other important wiki projects to finish up first though are a good concern.
I am definitely not convinced that this would even be a better option for the desktop layout, and do not know if it would even display properly via the mobile viewing layout.

Back