• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Man-Thing Revision

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed a few things off with Man-Thing's Profile:

1. Man-Thing's official strength ranking is Level 5, which scales to Iron Man's Large Mountain level feat, so Man-Thing should be High 7-A, not Low 7-C

2. Man-Thing's official speed ranking is Level 4, which would make him at least Massively Hypersonic.

3. This one is optional. Man-Thing should be High 7-A at minimum, however, he does have three 4-B showings at maximum: contending with Green Hulk, knocking down Green Hulk with a single punch, and even scaring Ghost Rider, but again, this is entirely optional and I think that Man-Thing should not be bumped to 4-B unless others agree with the upgrade.

Cropfist said:
We have discarded handbook scaling in recent times, but solar system seems fine.
Okay, so the first two points are moot, but the third point is still on the table

Man-Thing harming the Hulk is most likely a massive outlier. We still sometimes use handbook scaling in lack of other options though, so that might work.

No, the Marvel wiki uses exact copies from the official handbooks. The Marvel site ratings can be edited by individual members, if I remember correctly.

Man-Thing's strength rating on the wiki is based off of his ranking from the 2009 Handbook, Man-Thing's stats on the Official Marvel Website are based off of his 2010 stats, so rank 5 strength is his current, updated strength class, but it really doesn't matter anyway, as Cropfist said, we don't really use handbook scaling anymore anyway.

Well, I do not think that we have quit using them completely, but almost, yes.

Antvasima said:
Man-Thing harming the Hulk is most likely a massive outlier. We still sometimes use handbook scaling in lack of other options though, so that might work.
Well, Man-Thing harming The Hulk isn't really an outlier, see, Man-Thing is similar to The Shrike in the sense that his power varies depending on how much energy he has from his external power source.

Man-Thing is actually more difficult to rate with a specific tier than I thought, he ranges from 9-B at minimum up to 2-A at maximum, and he's usually shown at somewhere inbetween.

Here is a Respect Thread on him: https://www.reddit.com/r/respectthreads/comments/4gmdvq/respect_manthing_marvel_616/

I do not have the time to read external respect threads. Can you summarise the more reliable and concrete feats here instead?

The only instance that can possibly be used to scale from is the earliest fight with the Hulk, but that seems like a massive outlier. The Man-Thing is officially just barely stronger than Captain America.

Taking the Molecule Man by surprise, instantly regenerating from She-Hulk's blows, and flying beside the Silver Surfer when nothing indicated anywhere near interstellar speed, are not reliable instances.

Well, almost, but they can still give us some pointers. If the Man-Thing is only supposed to be class 0.5, and the Hulk above Class 100, we probably cannot reliably scale the former from the latter.

Antvasima said:
The only instance that can possibly be used to scale from is the earliest fight with the Hulk, but that seems like a massive outlier. The Man-Thing is officially just barely stronger than Captain America.

Taking the Molecule Man by surprise, instantly regenerating from She-Hulk's blows, and flying beside the Silver Surfer when nothing indicated anywhere near interstellar speed, are not reliable instances.
Originally, Man-Thing was only on par with Captain America, in fact, he got his powers partly from the same Super-Soldier Serum as Cap, currently he is far stronger.

Besides, I thought feats took presedence over scaling? The handbooks may be official, but they are not always accurate

Yes, feats take precedence, but Marvel is so ridiculously inconsistent that it is possible to easily scale Cyclops and Frankenstein's Monster to the Living Tribunal via who beat who logic alone.

(Cyclops and Frankenstein's Monster severely harmed Dormammu, who beat Multi-Eternity, who was recently treated as more powerful than The Living Tribunal. Presto! Virtually any Marvel character is High 1-B.)

Basically, a character has to consistently scale to a certain level in order to qualify.

Antvasima said:
Basically, a character has to consistently scale to a certain level in order to qualify.
If that's the case, then Man-Thing should be changed to Unknow, his strength is far too inconsistent to rate properly, even by Marvel standards; one moment he's only as strong as Captain America, another he can take on HOTU Thanos

Matthew Schroeder said:
I don't think Man-Thing is that powerful.
He actualy did, I couldn't find a scan, but apparently after Man-Thing became one with the Nexus of All Realites, he challenged HOTU Thanos

I read the HOTU story. Every major Marvel character took on Thanos within it, and they all lost miserably.

Anyway, I suppose that I am fine with unknown statistics.

I agree with Unknown Statistic. Man-Thing's feats range A LOT . Especially in Strange Tales Volume 4.... Literally the highest-end feat he's ever done... If you read my blog, it was revealed he was one of the Fallen Stars... Yeah ...

We have already replied several times that this is unreliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back