• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Mario Optional Equipment

Jinsye

She/Her
Both Mario and Sonic have goofy standard equipment but I'll do it one at a time.

This is what our standard equipment page says:
Standard Equipment refers to a set of items that a character can be expected to have on hand at any time.
Now, when I read this I generally assume this means that it is a permanent part of their arsenal. They generally have this ability on-hand at any time for any particular situation.

However, Mario's current standard equipment lists a bunch of things he is not expected to have at any time for any particular situation. The main reason why they're listed in that section is "They appear in multiple games".

This is not good enough to justify it being something they always have, especially when the very point of these power-ups is that you DON'T have it all the time or else you'd get a trivially easy solution for every level. You have to actively find and use them before they stop being part of your arsenal. This is not something that one can be 'expected to have'.

The only thing that Mario should have in his standard is his hammer, pretty much everything else should be optional.

Why would his hammer even be standard?
It's pretty commonly shown that he just has it most of the time, e.g. Mario and Luigi games, Paper Mario, etc. I can get the argument for it not being standard but he has it on him pretty commonly.

It's pretty commonly shown that he just has it most of the time, e.g. Mario and Luigi games, Paper Mario, etc. I can get the argument for it not being standard but he has it on him pretty commonly.
The hammer in paper mario is a different hammer, and so are all the hammers in each M&L game

Generally a good basis for 'standard equipment' is "Would it be unreasonable for a character to not have this during a fight".

For Mario, the answer is no. It's completely reasonable that he wouldn't have any mushrooms or ice flowers or penguin suits on him as you see that most of the time. So it should be thrown out.

That still means he carries some sort of hammer on him at all times. I agree with the OP.
But which one of them are standard? This is like saying if an RPG character has a different sword in all 5 games he appears in, all of them are standard

Back