• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Marioverse Abilities Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay! I'm back with a part two of my adding Mario abilities to the profiles.

Mario gets Shapeshifting.

Peach and Bowser get Longevity.

Mario gets Telekinesis.

Mario gets a Resistance to Petrification.

Mario and Luigi could get a possible Resistance to Existence Erasure because of this. Mario also can't be deleted from this method.

Paper Mario gets a Resistance to Matter Manipulation, perhaps.

Okay, I don't know what Resistance this would be, this gun causes people to devolve, like you see Luigi devolves into a monkey, but then it gives Mario the Tanooki power-up instead, so whatever devolving someone would be, Resistance to that.

It's a pretty long portion of the manga, so I can't really screen it all or find convenient pictures for it, but Mario once died and went to Hell, and eventually crawled back out after defeating the Demon King, so I think he should get Resurrection.

Mario gets Mid-High Regenerationn for getting blown up like a balloon and reforming.

I know he already has Duplication, but here he is sacrificing extra lives for extra clones of himself.

Mario can also jump off of the players hand whenever they're holding him, whatever this might add.

Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Peach, Geno, Mallow, Wario, Yoshi, and Paper Mario also need to get the ability added to their profiles to be able to harm intangible beings and souls for being able to hurt various types of ghosts, notably Boos, this enemy, this boss, this, this thing, this, Cackletta, and the Shadow Quee.

Each of the cast of Mario Party 8 uses the Star Rod to defeat Bowser in the end, and Bowser also uses the Star Rod in that game and in others, so I think Reality Warping, Black Hole Creation, and Energy Projection, Lightning Manipulation, Invulnerability, and Power Nullification should be added to their pages with a "with Star Rod" after it.

In this game, Bowser has infinite lives, and is also the Demon King in the manga, simultaneously existing in Hell and in the overworld, so I think he should get Resurrection.

Besides the infinite lives thing which I think was dismissed as inconsistent game mechanics, these seem fine. You should ask DRB though.

Shapeshifting needs more context

Mario got blatantly affected by that petrification.

Bowser never even used the ability on them. And the Mario Maker thing is obvious game mechanic.

Again, Mario is blatantly affected by this.

Game Mechanic. Or just plain...nothing at all.

Unless it's their Standard Equipment, no.

For anything related to the Manga: It's not canon.

There are some troubles here.

Resistance to Existence Erasure - The instance during Dream Team is vague as we don't know what Bowser meant by "make you disappear". Regardless, the affects of the Dream Stone were stopped before it could actually do anything so they didn't actually resist anything. Mario being unable to be "erased" during Super Mario Maker is also pure Game Mechanic.

Resistance to Matter Manipulation - Do you have any proof Mario's cells are being deconstructed during this instance ? If not, it cannot be listed as Resistance to Matter Manipulation.

Soul Manipulation - We'd need an explicit instance of them being shown/stated to be capable of attacking souls while said soul is in the opponent's body, rather than just harming ghosts.

Bowser's infinite lives are game mechanic, "jumping off the player's hand" is unquantifiable Fourth Wall shenanigans, and the comic scans probably can't be applied due to the profiles likely being based around the games (don't quote me on that).

Everything else seems okay.

In Super Mario RPG, Mario explains things to people by Shapeshifting into the characters involved in whatever scenario he's explaining, and then acting out the scenarios as every character. It isn't combat applicable, but should be added to his page.

Mario DID get affected by the Petrification, but he also broke out of it. You break out of it by moving and hitting the jump button. So he can resist Petrification by breaking out of it, it wouldn't, you know, end him.

Yeah, I didn't think the first half of that should be accepted, but while it's moderate game mechanics, it still shows Mario resisting being erased by the game. I could understand if it isn't accepted, though.

That's not Paper Mario being affected by anything. That's Paper Mario going down a pipe my taking himself apart and then putting himself back together. At least some regen if not Matter Resistance.

And yeah, I didn't think it would amount to anything.

Are you talking about the Star Rod? It could be added to their standard equipment.

And why do we treat manga stuff as non-canon? Mario has a set canon, now? What?

If anything, if I were to opt that we make separate profiles for the manga variants you would barely find any differences. They have the same feats, Mario and Paper Mario are the same person until Paper Jam, and there are just a few ability differences, like a couple I showed. I don't see why we can't have stuff from the manga on his page.

Characters breaking out of a petrification is a pretty common thing in fiction, especially Video Games. I don't think it can be rated as outright resistance.

The fact that Mario sweats imply that he isn't immune to it. But clearly, the game just doesn't let you erase Mario for obvious reasons.

No, it can't. Being used once =/= Standard Equipment.

Mario did used to have a Manga profile. No idea what happened to it. But it definitively isn't canon, much like Hotel Mario.

@Random, attacking ghosts has always been treated as being able to harm intangible beings and souls. See Beerus's profile for a reference.

Also, I never said his cells got deconstructed, he just took himself apart and put himself back together.

To further address things regarding the manga, Ryukama said he was okay with everything but Bowser having infinite lives, so he's okay with the manga stuff, too.

The "Matter Manipulation" just seems like teleportation to me, much like characters getting disintegrated and reintegrated during a teleportation.

Ryu agreeing doesn't make all of your arguments foolproof.

Well, we can add it to his profile as a minor resistance. It works on him, but he can break out of it. Usually, when someone gets petrified, they just permanently become a statue.

I didn't say he was immune to it, I was just saying he resists it. And yeah, but that doesn't really mean he can't get a resistance.

Well, if not the whole cast of Mario Party 8, then at least give it to Bowser, who has possessed it on 2 separate occasions (seeing as we treat his regular and Paper variants as one).

And again, you say he isn't canon, but that doesn't really hold much water, Mario doesn't have a set canon. I don't even really know what Hotel Mario has a separate page. I didn't really find that necessary. As far as that goes for me, it's just another media.

Except that we clearly separate the main series and stuff that are just out there. Like the cartoon, the movie, the comic, Hotel Mario, etc.

Well, alright. I think he already has Teleportation, though. If he doesn't, it can be added.

And I didn't say it did. I was just saying that he agrees the manga stuff can be added to the profiles. I don't see why they can't. Mario has no set canon, and it's just another form of media.

Then why don't we separate stuff like Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy that are the main series from spin-offs like the Mario and Luigi games and things like that?

"Mario has no set canon" isn't an excuse to throw literally every media, no matter how contradictory, into the main profile.

And once again, Ryu agreeing =/= your argument being foolproof.

The only contradictory things the manga have is that it has a linear plot, more abilities, isn't entirely kid-friendly, and Mario and Paper Mario are the same character until the Paper Jam Arc.

It'd be fallacious to assume Mario and friends can directly attack a living being's soul simply because he can harm ghosts, which are specifically disembodied.

Mario putting himself back together after being deconstructed isn't Resistance to Matter Manipulation.

I disagree with shapeshifting as its literally just a visual aid for the player to know what the hell he's doing, and you know...its funny.

Random, like I said, we have always treated being able to hit ghosts like that. If there is something fallacious about that, make a thread about it, and then however many probably hundreds or so pages can be edited.

And alright. I have already said that can instead be seen as Regen.

Aqua, it being a "visual aid" doesn't change the fact that he's literally Shapeshifting. He does it throughout the entire game, it's just not combat applicable.

You're arguing purely based on Appeal to Antiquity.

Where is it even stated that on the Wiki that harming a ghost should always be treated as the ability to hurt souls?

I can't really accept this ability unless I see conclusive evidence that Mario can directly attack a soul contained within an opponent's body. Your Arguments from Antiquity give me the impression that it's purely assumption based.

This discussion is kinda going down the route of aimless back and fourth, so I think I'll out myself here and wait for the opinion of others.

It's not an assumption, though. If he can attack souls, he can attack souls. If you want proof of him doing it to someone that's alive, I don't see why the battle against Bowletta doesn't prove this.

Mind showing me the instance of Mario defeating this "Bowletta" by bypassing their physical defenses and attacking their soul? I'm not exactly a Mario expert.

He literally goes into her body and has a boss battle against her soul. Which reminds me, I think a Resistance to Soul Damage should be added to her page, because the durability of her soul is even better than her standard durability.

Mario was only was to do that due to the fact that he was specifically sucked into their body (just checked out the boss fight). To specify, I need an explicit showing of him bypassing someone's phyiscal defenses (through his own power) and dealing spiritual damage.

Harming ghosts is treated on Mario's profile as the ability to harm intangible beings.

Again, that is an Argument from Antiquity, which is a fallacy.

I don't really know much about Beerus' abilities or whoever else you're talking about, but them having it doesn't automatically justify Mario having it.

Edit: Just found a scan on Beerus' ability to destroy souls. It stated that victims of Energy of Destruction don't go to the Afterlife , implying their soul is destroyed

That's not why Beerus has that ability. The reason Beerus has that ability is because he used Hakai in a ghost. I can show you more examples of it being treated that way for other people being able to hit ghosts. If they can hit ghosts, that can hit souls.

^ More Arguments from Antiquity.

No offense, but if all you have left to say is "these random guys have it so Mario should too!" then I see no reason to keep going with this. It's pretty much a circular discussion.

If nothing notable is said from this point on then consider my ensuing lack of reply as me being done with this.

I'm sorry but all of these abilities are out-right speculation with no reason or context. They don't even imply the characters have such abilities at all and doesn't even remotely resemble the abilities suggested. Please, I ask you stop with these abilities list for the Mario series. I apologize if this is rude but I think it's getting out of hand at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back