• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

MCU Speed Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps you can leave messages asking for input on several of our staff members' talk pages?

Antvasima said:
Well, I suppose that we should downgrade the MCU character speeds then, but let's wait a bit for some input first.
I'm gonna redo the explosion catch with the new info gained from the explosion speed thread

So downgrade to subsonic again? Not all the feats were calculated though, are they comparatively unimpressive? And who would scale to Wanda?

By using the United Nations calculator the value you put in gets 340 m/s for explosion speed. Wanda is 16% faster than that. So, supersonic. Captain America, Bucky, and Hawkeye (trained soldiers) are obviously physically superior to Wanda (untrained teenage girl). Supersonic scaling should stay either way.

Yeah. The minimum listed weight for a suicide vest is 5 kg according to Wikipedia, and increasing the range lowers the speed. Using the maximum range the UN calculator says is possible for a 5 kg vest gives pretty much exactly the speed of sound.

However, we do know from the films that Wanda has psychic abilities, which may increase her reaction speeds compared to other people in the cast. This means that Wanda's reaction speed and powers, in general, could potentially be in a league of its own compared to the rest of the avengers cast.

Now for speed wise, all of the cast in that movie should just have supersonic reactions only. This would not apply for their combat speed.

it should apply for combat speed, you can tell they fight insanely faster than normal humans. they react to, and punch each other at supersonic speeds, else nobody would ever be hit if they reacted faster than they punched.

So, who think that the MCU characters should be downgraded to supersonic combat speed?

Maybe we should wait until LordXcano has redone, and posted, the calculation.

Antvasima said:
So, who think that the MCU characters should be downgraded to supersonic combat speed?
No, I think they should have the same combat speed as their reactions, so if reaction speed is hyper sonic then combat speed should be hyper sonic.

Why do i have to repeat myself?

The dude was holding the grenade and said something about taking Cap with (or something like that ,i don't remember) so Wanda didn't actually react to the explosion.

Most (if not all of the verses) feats that include bullet dodging are aim dodging.(except maybe for the feat where Bucky dodged bullets with dance like moves but it is iffy)

I've done two calcs for feats mentioned in this thread (you should check them)

No one can be scaled to Pietro.I don't see how Thor getting buried is a speed feat.

Thor's jumping feat:

He jumped 1.5 meters high

Free fall formula: h = 1/2gt^2

t = sqroot of 2h/g

t = 0.54 sec

Distance his hand moved = 1.5 meters (at best)

Speed = 2.7777 m/s

Kkapoios said:
No one can be scaled to Pietro.I don't see how Thor getting buried is a speed feat.

Thor's jumping feat:

He jumped 1.5 meters high

Free fall formula: h = 1/2gt^2

t = sqroot of 2h/g

t = 0.54 sec

Distance his hand moved = 1.5 meters (at best)

Speed = 2.7777 m/s
he moved his hand 4 times in that one jump, not once.

His arm movements where small ,more like 50 cm each but ok lets assume a high and make the distance 4 meters

and lets say that he did all that while falling 0.5 meters

t = sqroot 2h/g = sqroot 0.1 = 0.31 sec

Speed = distance/t = 12.9 m/s

Well, that's a downer, now that I know that jump is midway in superhuman speed.

I'll try to look for more impressive-ish looking feats.

Also, @Kkapoios, the rocks dropping on Thor is a durability showing, not speed. I was gonna ask if that one was quantifiable or guesstimate-able.

What of Pietro's btw?

Well, the MCU characters are evidently currently rated far too high in terms of speed, and Pietro does not scale to anybody.

Thebluedash said:
By using the United Nations calculator the value you put in gets 340 m/s for explosion speed. Wanda is 16% faster than that. So, supersonic. Captain America, Bucky, and Hawkeye (trained soldiers) are obviously physically superior to Wanda (untrained teenage girl). Supersonic scaling should stay either way.
The calculator takes into account that the schockwave slows down towards the speed of sound with distance. So what should be used here is not the speed value, but the time of arrival, which is the amount of time the shockwave requires to reach the given range.

5 kg was mentioned for explosive weight. Since we talk about an omnidirectional explosion for this range I will half this to 2.5 kg. I assume TNT (or would it be C4?)

Range is 0.9652257 m after the calc. That gives a time of arrival of 0.35 ms = 0.00035 seconds.

The distance moved was 1.1204545 m after prior calc.

1.1204545 / 0.00035 = 3201.2985714285714286 m/s = Mach 9.316934143

So I get Hypersonic, if I didn't make some mistake. Sorry for being late with this.

Edit: Actually how do you guys get 340 m/s? I get like mach 5 with the range.

DontTalk said:
Thebluedash said:
The calculator takes into account that the schockwave slows down towards the speed of sound with distance. So what should be used here is not the speed value, but the time of arrival, which is the amount of time the shockwave requires to reach the given range.
5 kg was mentioned for explosive weight. Since we talk about an omnidirectional explosion for this range I will half this to 2.5 kg. I assume TNT (or would it be C4?)

Range is 0.9652257 m after the calc. That gives a time of arrival of 0.35 ms = 0.00035 seconds.

The distance moved was 1.1204545 m after prior calc.

1.1204545 / 0.00035 = 3201.2985714285714286 m/s = Mach 9.316934143

So I get Hypersonic, if I didn't make some mistake. Sorry for being late with this.

Edit: Actually how do you guys get 340 m/s? I get like mach 5 with the range.
Why did you put it as 2.5 kg? Hemispherical, in this context, means half of a sphere. Not a quarter of it.

I got 340 m/s by doing the absolute lowest speed attainable with the weight value.

But anyway doing 5 kg and that range gives a 0.3 ms arrival, boosting it slightly to Mach 10.9.

Yes, Hemispherical means half not a quarter.

What we have in the video is expansion in more or less all directions, right?

The calculator calculates for only a hemisphere, in other words for the energy of the blast focused in only half of the expansion. If we then convert to it being unfocused (or the priorly focused energy having a second equivalent part to spread out to) we have to half the explosive, since energy of the shockwave is "lost" in expanding to the new second hemisphere.

That is correct in the accordance to the article stating that one converts from surface explosions (what the calculator claculates) to free-air explosions (which an explosion expanding in all directions is until it reaches the ground) by taking half of the mass of tnt.

@DontTalk So, do you think that it is reasonable to use the explosion reacting feat, or should we could it as an extreme case of aim dodging, due to having considerable warning and preparation time?

And if not, should we downgrade most of the MCU characters based on Hawkeye's bullet dodging feat instead?

Shooting a gun or using a laser pointer does not automatically make the wielder any swifter.

Let's say the laser he has is lightspeed. His arm flailing around while using it is not, therefore his lightspeed weapon is not a lightspeed attack.

If he shoots it out like he does a repulsor beam, then it'd be more effective.

@gemmysaur, okay so the best we can hope for is Tony finally remembers he has the the laser, uses it on someone who can react to the beam, and then we can scale from there?

@Antvasima: I haven't watched the movie, so I am not sure.

If it was clearly depicted that she moved the distance after the explosion started I would think it can be used. If it was not depicted that way and she had prior knowledge and time to prepare I would think that it can not be used as speed since she could logically have performed the movement to use her power beforehand.

Methinks we should ignore Wanda reacting to a bomb for now the same way we did for Thor busting Sokovia.

Unknown elements (e.g. whether she truly reacted or just saw the bomb remote being pulled out) are really screwing this up.

Dat lightspeed MCU though.

I can only imagine Iron Man speed: Subsonic combat speed with Lightspeed reactions; Hypersonic+ flight.

Holy crud.

I agree with Kkapoios's reasoning on the speed, although the bullet that Nick Fury fired took a really long time to actually reach where Hawkeye was (although this could have been cinematic effect)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back