• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Mind Control and Resistance

Andytrenom

She/Her
VS Battles
Administrator
I believe everyone knows that in this wiki mind controlling a greater number of people means having a greater level of mindhax, that is to say if a character who resists mind control from someone who controls a small group of people is put against a mind control user who controls a much larger group of people, then his resistance won't protect him.

Seems simple enough, there's just one question. How much more people does one have to control in order to overpower someone's resistance?

For example if X resists mind control from Y who can affect 4 people at once, does that mean Z, someone capable of affecting 5 people at once will break through his resistance? if not, then how many more people would he have to control to prove his mindhax is too powerful for X?

I'd say, it's relatively straightforward; those with a higher maximum capacity for people controlled at once should be able to overpower someone with a lesser capacity. I'm not sure if the example you gave leaves enough of a gap, so they may be about equal. At the very least, there'd be quite a struggle between them.

Uhh... What??? Skalt711 is really, really triggered!! I wouldn't say so. Controlling greater amount of people =/= having more powerful mindhax.

If you can force 100,000,000 people via mindhax to say Ayaya 1000 times, it is not necessary that you can force someone with 2x greater mindhax resistance than usual (usually I don't do maths when it comes to mindhax, but it was made to make the answer simpler) with no struggle.

Edit: Y would try to mind control X with the same struggle as Z did. To make Y's mindhax more powerful he need to, well, make it more potential

I mean, the general quantification fiction, and thereby we, use is "the more will power you have to crush, the harder the job is"

This applies to vast numbers of people, considering you'd have to force them all to give up free will, which of course is against their will.

I should make it clear that my main question isn't whether character Z in the hypothetical situation will be able to mindhax X because I'm of the position that it won't.

My main question is how many more people you have to mindhax to be able to break through someone's resistance.

I wouldn't measure mind manipulation potence due how many people it can affect, that would be range. And being resistent to mind control wouldn't make someone resistant to mind manipulation in general, the first one is easier to resist with enough willpower or any strong emotion rather than having a psychic shield.

Andytrenom said:
My main question is how many more people you have to mindhax to be able to break through someone's resistance.
Unquantifiable

You can say that people have better mindhax, but that's usually with a difference of thousands millions or whatever

@Anto Except here it is measured with how many people it affects, that's very apparent.

Antoniofer said:
Except several verses indicate the more powerful you are the more you can mindhax

The most powerful guy in Inheritance Cycle can mindhax millions while most telepaths can only manage a few people

Darth Sidious gets an increase in power just to Mindhax the entire Galaxy

Madara Uchiha's entire life goal is to get beefed enough mindhax to effect the entire world

Generally, the trend is that more powerful users effect more. There's no other really solid quantification, so this is the best way to go ultimately.

And the Isu wanted to mindhax the entire planet's worth of organisms to stave off a cataclysm that would have scorched the Earth and led to another miserable cycle of life, death and war, but their mindhax is capable of creating entire timelines and even possibly affecting one, so it's moot in that case.

Yeah, generally more powerful mind users have more range than more simple ones, but if the effect is the same than the simple ones is more of the same. If want to analyse, see how the mindhax of one person works, then how did the other one resisted and finally how is the other mindhax works (that assuming that the last user can surpass resistances).

Antoniofer said:
Yeah, generally more powerful mind users have more range than more simple ones, but if the effect is the same than the simple ones is more of the same. If want to analyse, see how the mindhax of one person works, then how did the other one resisted and finally how is the other mindhax works (that assuming that the last user can surpass resistances).
Well the Isu's tech is not that strong strength-wise but it can mindhax entire planets and possibly even entire timelines (for some reason).

@Anto I'm not saying that your interpretation is wrong or anything, for all I know that could very well be the proper way of quantifying mindhax. But that doesn't really help with what I'm asking.

Operating under the policy of "more people=better mindhax" only how many more people you have to mindhax, that's my question.

DMUA said:
Unquantifiable

You can say that people have better mindhax, but that's usually with a difference of thousands millions or whatever

Don't think is quantificable, and I wouldn't suggest in base the potence of mind manipulation in its range.

KLOL506 said:
And the Isu wanted to mindhax the entire planet's worth of organisms to stave off a cataclysm that would have scorched the Earth and led to another miserable cycle of life, death and war, but their mindhax is capable of creating entire timelines and even possibly affecting one, so it's moot in that case.
Mind Hax doesn't create timelines, that's time manipulation. Mind having an entire timeline would be the same as mind haxing everything in that universe.

Hence, I said its moot. The Isu themselves have time manip so yeah, it doesn't relate with Mind hax.

What I truly meant tho, was that Apples of Eden can create entire illusory timelines. And that it has the potential to affect actual timelines themselves.

A bit off-topic here. Does linking memories across a multiverse or downloading entire history of another reality considered as 4-D mindhax?

KLOL506 said:
What I truly meant tho, was that Apples of Eden can create entire illusory timelines. And that it has the potential to affect actual timelines themselves.
I think that's Reality Warping but I'm not sure.

It is Reality Warping, with potent mind hax combined. It was responsible for the various supernatural events described in the Bible and other books in the Assassin's Creed universe. They were dismissed as illusions for centuries until later games proved them to be real events.

In Tyranny of King Washington, had Connor not dispelled the illusion by taking the Apple from Washington, it would have become reality. The Apple can do tons of other crazy stuff like grant wishes true, but its creators didn't have long to live so they abandoned the project.

I mean, I honestly believe that Mind Manipulation could be also scaled by how complex is the mind/s you can manipulate, but as weird as it is, the "big numbers" system is the most common.

Also, the amount of people you can mindhax doesn't necessarily translate to range: there are characters who can control billions of minds across a planet, but other that can struggle to manipulate a person's mind while being in another universe, but struggle to affect him that much.

Back