• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Mortal Kombat Statistics

Promestein

Resurrection Lily
She/Her
VS Battles
FC/OC VS Battles
Retired VSB Bureaucrat
I'm a bit confused by the statistics currently listed for the Mortal Kombat characters. Mostly; Shang Tsung and Quan Chi alone being Small City level.

Shang Tsung gets canonically killed by Liu Kang during Armageddon, in which, logically, there are no tournament restrictions, considering it's an all-out brawl between absolutely everyone that ends with everyone who isn't Shao Kahn dead. Quan Chi also spends the entirety of MKX getting kicked around by characters the wiki lists as much weaker, despite there a) being no tournament anymore and b) virtually all of these fights being life or death. The most stand out case for me would be when Scorpion thrashes and kills him, at which point Quan Chi is quite obviously desperate.

Given the amount of times Shang Tsung and Quan Chi get beaten to a pulp by 'weaker' characters with no tournament restrictions, the Small City level feat is either an outlier, unusable for combat stats, or can be used to scale to basically everyone else.

There's other problems, too, such as normal people presenting a threat to Shao Kahn / Shinnok in non-tournament situations (probably PIS, though), and Quan Chi and Shang Tsung being comparable to Shinnok and Shao Kahn with their magic, despite the massive tier difference.

Well, it sounds like the problems may stem from a franchise that literally runs on Plot Induced Stupidity/complete lack of power scaling, similarly to Marvel and DC.

What would you suggest for rescaling the characters? Or should we just delete the pages since they are too hard to gauge properly?

IDK. I think asking Skodwarde would be good to do since he seems to have a fairly good amount about anything involving MK.

Can you inform him about this thread?

Unfortunately, I'm not very knowledgeable on the series, as I only got into it rather recently, so I'm not certain as to the context of many of these feats. You say that Quan Chi's feat should probably scale to a lot of the cast?

The problem with the Mortal Kombat game series is that even fans of the games somethimes they even don't know what is "canonically".

Like for example: technically Shang Tsung gets "canonically" killed in armageddon. But IIRC he died during the mortal kombat deception (Raiden kill himself... Trying to stop Onaga along side Quan Chi and Shang Tsung) BUT somehow he appears in Armageddon...

Even i, there are somethings that i don't know.

I believe this is a clear example of a poor power-scaling. they should be equal to base Raiden.

@KamiYasha I'm researching about the subject right now, and from what I am seeing, Shang Tsung had ressurrected thanks to his bond to Shao Khan's soul. Here's the exact words:

"In an instant, Raiden's blast destroyed us all! Our souls intertwined, we did battle in the ether. But I was drawn away by a magic more powerful than death. My essence returned to Outworld, where I found myself face to face with Shao Kahn! He was alive! Quan Chi and I had slain him in his fortress -- or so we thought. Yet here he stood. At his side was the Shokan prince, Goro! My ghostly visage startled them at first, but Shao Kahn knew what had transpired. Long ago I had pledged my soul to the emperor. That pledge was binding even beyond death. But if he were to die, so too would those who served him. At the time I believed it to be merely another empty vow, yet here I am. My soul has returned from beyond to rejoin Shao Kahn. He had need of me. But I required a host body in which my soul could reside. At the flesh pits, he forged for me a new body. It was weak and grotesque to behold, but it functioned well enough. I craved mortal souls to heal and fortify my new flesh. I found more than enough at a place all too familiar to me: the village where Li Mei was born. I consumed each peasant's life force as Shao Kahn and Goro slew them one by one. I was renewed! Shao Kahn then commanded me to aid him in an assault on occupying Edenian forces, in an effort to retake his stronghold. United once more, Shao Kahn, Goro and I laid waste to all who stood in our way! In a flurry of brute strength and magic, we forced our way up to the throne room. The door was reinforced by some magical spell, but it was no match for our combined might. With a final swing of Shao Kahn's hammer, the door was breached, and Shao Kahn was Emperor of Outworld once more. Though I am bound to him eternally, an opportunity has arisen that might give me the means to free myself. It seems Quan Chi has also survived death, and he has brought word from Shinnok of a plan to take a mighty power for the Forces of Darkness. If I claim that prize for myself, I could sever my bond with Shao Kahn! Until that time, I will continue to play my role as his servant and redirect any suspicions he may have of betrayal to others within our new dark alliance. Once I have the power and I am free of Shao Kahn, I will finish him and finally take the throne of Outworld for myself!"

Gee whiz....uh....we might be in for somewhat of a deliberation as MK has some really wonky screws in it's plot.

Hence why I felt the need to make this thread.

It may be best to just... not scale Quan Chi and Shang Tsung's combat stats to the Small City level feat.

Yeah. If that's the case, best to scrap it. Shaolin Monks to my knowledge doesn't fit in MK's (wonky) canon. Pains me to say it but yeah.

Yeah. Shang Tsung and Quan Chi should be downgraded to 9-A, then? I don't think there's anyone else scaled to Shang Tsung, although I may be wrong.

Shang Tsung and Quan Chi sould be equal to Raiden (Without suicide bomb) so...

Large Building level to City Block level i belive.

Should Liu Kang be Large Building level as well? He's pretty consistently beaten Shang Tsung, Goro, and (Restricted) Shao Kahn.

Alright. I'll put those changes into action, then, if that's alright?

That seems fine to me, but I am not a MK expert.

As we seem to have come to an agreement, I'll change the affected pages.

I don't think it's wise to powerscale to Raiden with characters other than other gods as he is a non-coporeal being and the only time he can really fight with one of his bodies is when he is challenged directly.

A real issue with the series however is the The Elder Gods page. IIRC there can be upto 6 Elder Gods at a time (including Shinnok's seat) and they're tiered at 5A individually but 3A together, kind of a large jump. In addition, Argus is listed as an Elder God when he isn't (he's a regular God).

Back