• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Mountain level and Island level

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
It is a recurrent problem within profiles in this wiki that characters are mistakenly rated as "Mountain level" for shattering a small mountain, or as "Island level" for shattering a small island.

Given this, I think that it would be helpful to calculate roughly how large a shattered mountain must be to be considered 7-A, and how large a shattered Island must be to be considered 6-C.

Easily understood real world size comparison would also be helpful (For example: "The size of Mount Everest" and "The size of New Zeeland").

After this is done, we could insert brief clarifications into the Tiering System, Attack Potency, and Durability pages.

It always depends a bit on how it is destroyed.

For a non-nuclear explosion to be island level it needs to cover an area of 9297 km^2, which is approximately the size of Cyprus.

In order to be Island level through fragmentation (8 J/cc) you would need to fragmentate 5.23e10 m^3.

Not sure what I should compare that to.

Note that smaller things can easily reach higher values, if done through other methods/degrees of destruction.

(Also for things of official use, I would ask someone to calculate that a second time, in case I made some mistake)

Perhaps violent fragmentation would be appropriate for an estimation? Just so people stop listing any characters that can physically shatter mountains as 7-A.

With violent fragmentation mountain level is 6.063768e+9 m^3.

Again spontanously not sure which real life structure this equates to.

For the most part I would even with those values discourage ranking such feats without calculation though (since you would need to measure the mountains and islands for comparison either way).

I think it's a good enough idea to do this. Cause i've plenty of people including me who have been trying to explain on how things like shattering a small island or mountain even doesn't equate to destroying one of a significant size.

At the same time, DT has a point in that we need some calculation and it would really depend on how it's destroyed so...

Yes, of course calculations are preferable, but I just want to somehow impart the actual required scale of such feats on casual visitors, so we get far less extreme hyperbole in the future.

It has been an ongoing problem to constantly attempt to clean up such profiles.

It's been about the same on my wikia at FC/OC too, actually. Having to keep informing people there on what those here have kept saying about Mountain/Island destroying feats like what was pointed out above here.

The thing is we can't go around making calcs for every possible feat because some people can't understand something that easy.

EDIT: That sounds mean but it's just the reality.

I think this could be a good idea as well. While I don't have a long spiel to say, I can agree that there are a lot of people who say that their favorite mountain feat is mountain when in fact it's somewhere in the city range.

Well, it is specifically Mountain level and Island level that are ongoing massive problems, as most visitors seem to misunderstand the tiers.

That is why I wish to insert brief comments about a rough size estimation of the necessary size for a shattered mountain or island to qualify.

Why not just make a rule mountain/island level feats need a "possibly" next to them until they can be measured?

I was actually planning on making a mountain destruction General Use sort of thing, just taking a look at different general sizes that show up a lot.

Edit: Also, not a bad idea, XCano. Probably wouldn't hurt, if one were lacking any better method of resolving it.

Seeing that the mountain and island is being fragmented/shattered, let's find the volume for these guys.

For a minimum size of a mountain to have Mountain level yield at minimum via:

Fragmentation:

• (4.184e17 Joules) / (8 Joules/cc) = 5.230e16 cm^3, or 5.230e10 m^3.
  • Assuming that a mountain is considered a cone, the volume for that is (Pi)*(Radius^2)*(Height/3)
  • If the mountain's height and radius are equal, the minimum values for both radius and height should be about 3682.55m.
  • Plug the above number for both radius and height for the cone volume and you get the volume required for Mountain level via fragmenting it.
Violent Fragmentation:

• (4.184e17 Joules) / (69 Joules/cc) = 6.064e15 cm^3, or 6.064e9 m^3.
  • Assuming that a mountain is considered a cone, the volume for that is (Pi)*(Radius^2)*(Height/3)
  • If the mountain's height and radius are equal, the minimum values for both radius and height should be about 1795.72m.
  • Plug the above number for both radius and height for the cone volume and you get the volume required for Mountain level via violent fragmentation.
For a minimum size of an island to have Island level yield at minimum via:

Fragmentation:

• (1.8e19 Joules) / (8 Joules/cc) = 2.250e18 cm^3, or 2.25e12 m^3.
  • Mean/Average height of land elevation above sea level is 840m (Google)
  • Volume of rectangle = Length*Width*Height, where Height = 840m
  • Isolate for both Length and Width, assuming that both are equal, and you get a value of 51755m for length and width of said island respectively.
The dimensions of said island would have to be 51755m x 51755m x 840m to yield Island level value fragmenting it.

Violent Fragmentaton:

• (1.8e19 Joules) / (69 Joules/cc) = 2.61e16 cm^3, or 2.61e10 m^3.
  • Mean/Average height of land elevation above sea level is 840m
  • Volume of rectangle = Length*Width*Height, where Height = 840m
  • Isolate for both Length and Width, assuming that both are equal, and you get a value of 5574m for length and width of said island respectively.
The dimensions of said island would have to be 5574m x 5574m x 840m to yield Island level value via violent fragmentation.

If we are talking about explosions, the minimum surface area that an explosion needs to cover to make Mountain/Island level should be about (We will use near-total fatalities for this)

Mountain level:

• Radius Near Total Fatalities = 15.7km
  • Surface Area = (Pi)*(radius^2).
  • Surface Area = 7.74e8 m^3. Explosion needs to cover this much area.
Island level:

• Radius Near Total Fatalities = 54.4km
  • Surface Area = (Pi)*(radius^2).
  • Surface Area = 9.30e9 m^3. Explosion needs to cover this much area.

Okay. Thank you for the help.

@Lina Shields I would appreciate if you could create a blog post for the above calculations. It would be simpler if we could link to that in the statistics pages.

Yes, I will make a blog post for this. It would be appreciated if the staff members could look at it however, especially DT.

Edit: Done.

Now, do I need to make a calc for a Large Mountain level as well?

Thanks. I will insert links to it where it seems to be appropriate.

Yes. That would be appreciated.

Okay. Thank you very much for all the help.

Same as Ant said, Lina. This will especially be good for FC/OC for my users there in case they ever do any kind of Mountain/Island feats and depending what they do.

Again as Ant said, thanks a lot for the help here.

Back