• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Multi-Universe level

Matthew_Schroeder

VS Battles
Retired
Currently, we classify characters capable of destroying 2 - 1000 Universes at once within the Tier 2-C, Multi-Universal. The reasoning being that the number of universes is too small to fit the definition of Multiverse. I agree with this, but I have a problem.

The name. Multi-Universal. It makes no sense from a logical and etymological standpoint.

The word Universe comes from Latin, from the word Uni, meaning One, and the word Versus, meaning turned. Universe, then means "Combined into One / Whole". Which makes sense, as the universe is meant to be the whole of reality, being all of it's components viewed as one.

The word Multi is also Latin, and means Multiple. So by calling something Multi-Universal, we are effectively calling it "Multiple-Wholenesses", or "Multiple-Universes". Not only does this doesn't really roll off your tongue, but it sounds silly and means effectively the same thing as Multiversal, which is really just the same word but with the Uni cut out. I've seen people confused as to the difference between Multi-Universal and Multiversal.

A better term would be:

Low Multiversal

It is easier to understand, and also fits the definition we are giving to Multi Universal, that being a small set of multiple universes. Or a Small Multiverse.

Do you agree?

I think you might be looking too into the term, not to mention it would be quite a bit of change for a lot of characters. So I have to disagree

It would be a pain to change, but this term, and Outerversal both really bother me and a vast number of users I have talked to on chat.

And I don't think I'm looking too into. Multi-Universal and Multiversal have the exact same verbal meaning, so using both to classify different things is silly.

I suppose that "Low Multiverse level" might be an idea, but it is not quite as catchy a term, and somebody would have to find and change an awful lot pages.

I definitely do not wish to get rid of Outerverse level. DarkLK suggested it, due to that most other terms were already used elsewhere.

Outerverse level can stay, I guess. It means "Outside Wholeness" so it fits the 1-A defintion. It's also a Cthulhu reference, so that's nice.

I would be willing to change a lot of 2-C pages.

One of the things that makes me want to change multi-Universal is that I've seen a lof of people on other websites either confused about its meaning or mocking it for being redundant.

I will highlight this thread for more staff input.

As for other sites, if we do one thing some people there will attack us, and if we do the opposite, other people there will attack us. It is impossible to please everybody, but according to Wikia's official Quantcast statistics, we have around 137000 individual visitors, and up to 2.5 million page views, every month, so that is probably the best gauge for how well that we are doing our jobs.

Well, I prefer Multi-Universe level and it's an awful lot of work to change it, but if enough people agree on it...

I have zero preference in either direction, though "Low Multiversal" is more consistent with other terms around that level we have (i.e. Low Complex Multiverse level, Low Hyperverse level, etc.).

I'll help changing, should the decision be made for it.

Well, I technically think that Multi-Universe level sounds better, and it is simply intended to mean "several universes", but it isn't like I am massively against a change. If the majority of other staff members think that Low Multiverse level is better, I will go along with it.

I think that would be such a hard work just for a little change in Words

Also, that others user could confuse with regular "Multiverse level"

I disagree.

I'm not one for participating in discussions with regards to anything higher than Universe level+, but I think Low-Multiversal sounds more on-point with what it's meant to be.

Multi-Universal just sounds way too synonymous with Multiversal for me and in fact, I thought they were one and the same once upon a time (note: prior to reading about this discussion).

I'm completely indifferent. If the term does get changed, I'm fine with it, same if it doesn't get changed.

Hatted Cat said:
Names shouldn't really matter in the slightest. If a fiction calls a universe an omniverse then it's still just a universe. That's why we use dimensional tiering. It describes what's actually there regardless of what it's called.

Take Marvel. Outside of Marvel's "omniverse" you have a space called the Neutral Zone. But some people refuse to accept this despite being canon because of their preconcieved notions of what an omniverse has to be.
Good point.

I'm with Promestein in that Low Multiversal just looks plain awkward and confusing. Not to mention the hundreds of profiles we'd have to modify because of this change.

However, if this does get implemented, I'll help out as soon as possible.

Okay. I suppose that it might be best to keep the name as is then.

We also cannot constantly adapt to all the times people in other sites attack us for one reason or the other.

MMmm.. hard choice.

I'm indifferent. Multi-Universal sounds better but Low multiversal would seem to fit in better.

Kyo Zero said:
I see what you mean, but I find it easier to understand multi universal as being able to destroy or have the equivalent power of multiple universes, whereas multiversal implies a large number of timelines or alternate universes.
Staff thread.

Back