• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

My Hero Academia General Discussion Thread #18

I'm rewatching WHM and Gang Orca's sonar ability is ridiculously massive compared to his sidekicks.

Also there's a bunch of heroes like Pankration and Mr. Plastic that would scale to 10 to 15% Deku's speed.

Rewatching the movies just makes me wish Horikoshi brought in the foreign heroes in the final act. It doesn't need to be many of them but some should at least appear.

To be fair, All For One wasn't even looking in Bakugo's direction this time.
The panel right before shows a highlighted spot on the building Bakugo and All Might landed on with AFO getting angry. And even if he wasn't looking, it's not like Bakugo just outright attacked AFO first.

He grabbed his face from head on.

It seems like Izuku did in fact use Gearshift on Bakugo's arm gauntlet. The panel makes it clear to point out how it's still flying in a straight line while Bakugo and All Might go down. Bakugo's right arm is even shown to be bleeding and All Might had to give him his armor to act as a splint.

Meaning Gearshift's blowback hits Izuku regardless of whether he uses it on himself or something else. I imagine this was the case, but this is almost confirmation.

At this point the Horikoshi is just making the movie connections super obvious. Mahoro and Katsuma were already seen but having it acknowledge that she's familiar with Bakugo should instantly shut anymore room for doubt on this matter. However, people will believe what they want to believe.

I know people are going to quickly call in hate for Edgeshot not just being a instant corpse with no words. But unless Eri pops up out of whatever underground bunker she was placed in, I doubt he's going to live with only a head and maybe some torso. He visibly tore off the vast chunk of his body to keep Bakugo stitched.

Also, Bakugo gave himself internal CPR with his own sweat explosion. All Might is saved, Izuku can face Shigaraki without worry and AFO will be taken down by Bakugo. Time to make up for everything by giving our two main characters but greatest fight in the entire series.

And I think we're all getting ready to see AFO's big mental break down at long last. Finally we see him admitting to himself that nothing has been going his way. Can't wait to see how pathetic he'll become by the end of this. I wonder if the battles will happen separately from each other or Horikoshi will try to show both at once.

Ideally, I'd want to focus on them one at a time. Give Bakugo and Izuku their own big moments against the two main villains of the entire manga.

Highly excellent chapter, even though much hadn't happened. MHA will be on break next week, so please keep that in mind.

I know people are going to quickly call in hate for Edgeshot not just being a instant corpse with no words. But unless Eri pops up out of whatever underground bunker she was placed in, I doubt he's going to live with only a head and maybe some torso. He visibly tore off the vast chunk of his body to keep Bakugo stitched.
Can we get an edit of Edgeshot's head on that one Baki meme

MHA is straight peak nowadays

Although I feel thematically it would have been better if the side characters ultimately took down AFO... Although technically they have... Endeavor beat AFO... The side characters beat AFO... The stupid regen is just keeping him going better than everyone else. I still think it would be fitting for Bakugo to defeat AFO ultimately once and for all. I want Deku vs Shigaraki to remain a 1v1
Hori's taking notes from me

I have to say that I don't give a flying **** about whether Edgeshot dies or not at this point. He's not really a character that I would care enough about in general when it comes to this. His fate is inconsequential to my experience of the story just like his friendship with Best Jeanist that was only introduced to give his stoy a bit more sap in it.
Yeah, they have not done the legwork to make him matter at all.

Wait, are you sure? Both of my sources said "no break next week".
That's disappointing.
That is based on the fact MHA is not listed in next week's preview among the rest of the line-up.

It could just be a error, for what it's worth I did notice that the current chapter didn't say there was going to be a break in the end.

So take that with a grain of salt.

Don't think anyone cares about Edgeshot. But if Horikoshi doesn't have the guts to kill someone as irrelevant as he is in the final war, then any tension that this arc had left died in his stead. That's a much more substantial thing dying.
MHA as a whole already lost that the moment Horikoshi decided to keep Gran Torino alive. Killing Edgeshot really isn't going to fix much of anything, even Hawks getting his Quirk stolen feels more of a big loss than the convoluted way Edgeshot's death would've been. I don't think anyone with basic reading comprehension expected much from Edgeshot dying either.
I also think just wanting death, any death, is not a very good way to enjoy the story at this point, though fair enough if that's what you want to see.

MHA as a whole already lost that the moment Horikoshi decided to keep Gran Torino alive. Killing Edgeshot really isn't going to fix much of anything, even Hawks getting his Quirk stolen feels more of a big loss than the convoluted way Edgeshot's death would've been. I don't think anyone with basic reading comprehension expected much from Edgeshot dying either.
I also think just wanting death, any death, is not a very good way to enjoy the story at this point, though fair enough if that's what you want to see.
Likewise. I have accepted that Hori's decisions aren't to my liking and that they won't be with the kind of story MHA is. But to all the fans enjoying how this is playing out, I'm happy for them. It's the old story, not being my cup of tea doesn't mean that I want to spit in someone else's.

This is kinda where the term "death merchants" came from

People that just really want characters to die
Not that I really want Edgeshot to die but if Hori fails to kill a character as inconsequential as Edgeshot, kinda shows he isn’t capable of being introducing stakes into his story

Who's gonna tell em that death isn't the only way to have stakes
Never said that, but it’s the most impactful way to create stakes in my eyes (and in a lot of other people’s eyes)

Like Hawks being quirkless, Hori might as well have killed him as it would hit harder

And no reason Dabi should survive imo

This is kinda where the term "death merchants" came from

People that just really want characters to die
Who's gonna tell em that death isn't the only way to have stakes
It's true that it takes away from my enjoyment of the franchise if only the side of evil is taking permanent losses. It's a war for all of Japan and consequently the world that is happening. Maybe I'm cynical or maybe my usual genres made me unpleasant when it comes to works that are too inclined towards idealism and perfect victories. This final arc is building up to be that way right now, even Dabi is somehow living despite everything. Endeavor is living even though he did many awful things. Gran Torino is living even though Shiga almost did manual surgery on him. Bakugou is living in spite of a pierced heart. Nagant is living in spite of exploding. All Might is living in spite of how AFO only needed to spread his arms. Hawks is living. And now, even Edgeshot is living.

I can only take fake outs so many times before I stop batting an eye, because I know that the story is not committed to giving permanent losses to the side of good. I could go on, but I am not exactly advocating for Hori picking up a flamethrower and pointing it at the protagonists either. Before this arc began, I expected that he wouldn't consider any permanent loss to Deku's classmates.

What bothers me is that, so far, this protection expands to supporting characters. What the villains throw at the heroes does not matter, they can't score a single permanent win. They aren't just losing the war, they are losing every battle that makes it. Earlier, MHA arcs ended with them not achieving what they wanted but they could still achieve.

Stain, Overhaul getting rid of Mirio's quirk by playing dirty, My Villain Academia, AFO vs All Might having All Might use up the last of his resources. Now we witness loss after loss and past achievements negated (Mirio has his quirk again, All Might fought AFO and gave him some trouble, Nagant is not only alive but also kicking, to mention a few). Whenever it looks like they might win something, heroes turn tables. Now we have the most hyped AFO rejuvenating to his prime, who can't put down any side character for good.

I'm not talking about Bakugou. It's good that he gets his shot here. But AFO has been in a tango of failures the whole war. While it's karmic, when you think about it, having a main antagonist that is repeatedly one-upped by every character or group of characters makes him look plenty incompetent. I can't see him or anyone there as a threat anymore. Making a one line snide about You want death and death isn't the only way to get stakes! doesn't take anything from my argument.

Last edited:
It's true that it takes from my enjoyment of the franchise if only the side of evil is taking permanent losses. It's a war for all of Japan and by extension the world that is happening here. Maybe I'm cynical or maybe my usual genres left me unpleasant when it comes to works that are too inclined towards idealism and perfect victories. This final arc is building up to be that way right now, even Dabi is somehow living despite everything. Endeavor is living even though he did a lot of awful things. Gran Torino is living even though Shiga almost did a manual surgery on him. Bakugou is living in spite of a pierced heart. Nagant is living in spite of exploding. All Might is living in spite of how AFO only needed to spread his arms. Hawks is living. And now, even Edgeshot is living despite everything.

I can only take fake outs so many times before I stop batting an eye because I know that the story is not committed to give permanent losses to the side of good. I could go on, but I am not exactly advocating for Hori picking up a flamethrower and pointing it at the protagonists either. Before this arc began, I expected that he wouldn't do any permanent loss to Deku's classmates.

What bothers me is that so far this protection has been extended to supporting characters, and no matter what the villains throw at the heroes they can't ever score a single permanent win. They aren't just losing the war, they are losing every battle that makes it. Earlier MHA arcs still ended with them not achieving what they wanted but it felt like they could still achieve things.

Stain, Overhaul getting rid of Mirio's quirk by playing dirty, My Villain Academia, AFO vs All Might having All Might use up the last of his resources. Now what we are seeing is just loss after loss. Each time that it looks like they will win anything, the heroes ultimately turn the tables. Now we have the most hyped AFO rejuvenating to his prime, who can't put down a single side character for good.

I'm not talking of Bakugou. It's good that he gets a shot here. But AFO has been in a tango of failures through this whole thing, and while it's karmic, when you think about it having a main antagonist that is being one upped by every character or group of characters in one way or another, makes him look plenty incompetent and I can't see him or anyone there as a threat anymore.

Making a one line snide about You want death and death isn't the only way to get stakes! doesn't take anything from my argument.
Y'know, maybe I wasn't clear on this and that's on me, but the comment about "death merchants" wasn't really directed at anyone...

Never said that, but it’s the most impactful way to create stakes in my eyes (and in a lot of other people’s eyes)

Like Hawks being quirkless, Hori might as well have killed him as it would hit harder

And no reason Dabi should survive imo
That's kinda what I got from it given that no one dying was conflated with "Hori being incapable of introducing stakes"

Also I think you're conflating stakes with consequences anyway...

How do you guys think Deku vs Shiga will happen from now on? Outside help or will it stay 1v1 to the very end? Do you think that AFO will make it to him or, with the recent developments, that he will fail?

Nah Maz does kinda have a point.

You don’t necessarily have to have a character die in order for stakes to occur however if you’re setting up a story, especially a war arc no less, then the heroes essentially doing a completely flawless victory kinda undermines those stakes a bit and the tension you’re giving towards the audience. Especially when the story is damn near bending over backwards in order for the heroes just to have the most perfect ending they can get.

Why is Dabi still alive even though he very clearly wanted to die? Oh well, we don’t want the Todoroki family to face a loss with their son dying, so just give a magical quirk evolution that helps neutralize the flames turning his body to char. Just ignore the fact this power makes absolutely no sense whatsoever in the context of the scene in question and that he’s charred to an absolutely ridiculous point and somehow still alive, and you’ll get your happy Todoroki ending.

Why did Toga die? Oh because we don’t want her to suffer the consequences of her repeated heinous actions since she’s very liked by the audience, so she gets to die in “the good way” that makes everybody happy. So just have her die from some blood loss even though we just established a character being able to turn himself into Jack the friggin Skeleton and still be kicking. Guess she wasn’t dedicated enough, skill issue I suppose.

Bakugou’s dead? Can’t have that because that’d be too sad and impactful for the audience, so let’s just have this complete background character that has no attachment to the audience sacrifice himself using an ability just now introduced in the moment because again, we can’t have Bakugou die in this series, that’d be just too much for the audience. Oh and the character didn’t even die either when he saved Bakugou, so that was a complete lie (lol).

All Might’s literally in the hands of All For One, actually being torn apart as we speak? Don’t worry, the magical power of people holding their hands together can miraculously change All Might’s fate in real time. Outstanding.

Mirko’s literally limbless right now and she’s probably still alive. Crazy how only Toga’ll be killed by blood loss but everyone else is just chilling. Can’t have her spending the rest of her life in a cell I guess.

Oh and not a single other one of Deku’s classmates gets any long lasting injury besides Jirou (lmao), can’t have some of the kids be crippled after a war, then they couldn’t be heroes. Consequences of a war be damned I suppose those kids are doing just fine.

I think it’s fair to criticize the story when it’s going to this point of plot armor just so the heroes and villains don’t suffer long lasting consequences. Especially in this arc in particular since it’s a war arc revolving around the problems with hero society as a whole so there should be severe affects because of this monumentally historic moment in the series.

I mean idrc as much especially considering that this is supposed to be a comeback compared to what happened during the Paranormal Liberation War

I just don't really care too much if characters don't die
I think part of it is the way it’s being justified for why they’re not dying. Dabi can still be alive cause “reasons” and All Might can be saved cause “magic wishing power” and I’m like ‘all right sure buddy you got it, heroes are in there bag with this one, they got it covered.’

Doesn’t make the thing bad, that All Might save is pure peak, but if I’m talking about like how MHA is writing wise, it’s something I can point to as being a bit “eh” when it comes to delivery of these things.

Likewise. I have accepted that Hori's decisions aren't to my liking and that they won't be with the kind of story MHA is. But to all the fans enjoying how this is playing out, I'm happy for them. It's the old story, not being my cup of tea doesn't mean that I want to spit in someone else's.
I'm not really saying that I enjoy the lack of deaths, btw. Just that I think seeking deaths for the sake of it, which seems to be a symptom currently existing within the fandom, won't make the story any better at all.

MHA has issues way beyond just lack of significant character deaths. It's similar to One Piece in that regard. Actually, MHA is better than One Piece at handling character deaths (or rather, character mortality) IMO, but that's a different story entirely.

???????
How?
Apparently they believe the High-ends are continental (I don't know why) and since Toga can hang with/hurt characters who can survive or hurt High-ends, she's apparently also continental.

At first I thought the scaling would be some inflated calc involving Sad Man's Legion and it's potential but it's actually about base Toga!

Back