• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

My Hero Academia General Discussion Thread #18

Season 6 of MHA had great animation in many places, Mirko, Shigaraki in general, Deku vs Muscular, Deku vs Lady Nagant, Deku vs Class 1-A

It’s just that one Deku vs Shigaraki fight did not go ALL OUT the same way the manga did. It had two blows that were basically still frames and the rest was just kind of ok. It had some decent shots and when Deku went rage mode, it looked great, but that one stand out fight people wanted to go mega hard didn’t have the best animation.

But it is what it is, I imagine they’ll go hard for specific moments, like in Season 6. Season 5 itself was the worst looking season and even it had its moments

MHA's always had very good animation. It's just that people tend to overlook it.

I've always argued that Season 6 had wonderful animation. You could really look at any major battle and deduce that. The majority of it was very fluid.

4c9af50b6f4cc71dd4ee8828d0e60333e0949967.gif

tenor.gif
boku-no-hero-deku-vigilant.gif

It's just a matter of where you look.
From these gifs, two things that remains unchanged and even hinders great cuts are:

1. Atelier Musa jagged backgrounds
2. The lack of variety is lighting

The backgrounds especially usually look weird whenever it's buildings or forests.

I don't know who the heck Atelier Musa bribed to get the MHA gig cause even trashy low budget harem and slice of life anime have got better backgrounds than MHA.

I don’t know seems vauge. Maybe a possibly rating could work.
I feel like a possibly rating at the very least is needed. But tbh, I think just saying he straight up is immune is perfectly fair. The statement is straightforward, he's beyond anything humanity can do to stop him. Doesn't seem that vague imo.

but it is overall not as good or consistent as the first three seasons.
Almost all of the fight scenes in this scene had very good, if not incredible animation.

Nostalgia blinds many people to the fact that the first three seasons had animation really just as good, if not just a little bit better then what we have now. You could really pick any fight from Season 6 (with the exception being Deku vs Shigaraki I guess) or hell, the first half of season 5, and compare it to what we got for season 2 , and see that the quality is more or less equal.

To say that an entire season has better animation is a BOLD statement to make, and not just something that you can say just because of a few frames that last no longer then five or ten seconds. That's not fair, and it's little better then nitpicking. Hardly what I would consider a good enough review.

Imagine if I picked a few scenes from season one, all of which had very stiff animation (which was common early on, at least outside of any of the big fight scenes) and used it to discredit the season's animation?
That. Is. Nitpicking. At it's finest.

You're not looking at everything the season has to offer. Like, most fights in a lot of these season's are GOOD, with the exception of a select few. Very good in fact. Almost all of them are well animated.

I'll draw examples from season four, which is a season that most people say had inferior animation compared to what came before previously.

tumblr_pt6x6nTVVy1w8wsu9o1_640.gif

sir-nighteye-nighteye.gif

CA821CD494A17227FBD8B6F976F0293244FDAA0B

e93fb7d2250d270d6db861625963bc64174572a9.gif

731e1635b5b2131f4158cc1592539ed7c9b70203.gif

Honestly, just watch the entire fight between Kirishima, Fat Gum, and Rappa. Every single frame is good.

lemillion-vs-overhaul-mirio-togata.gif

3c803f0b9bd2dd3dabdc6c9bb3001b377fd2ac3a.gif

7263941-downloadfile-3.gif

9edf4f9fd6d047c495c8752d0a38837e91cbcc9e.gif

deku-vs-overhaul-mha.gif

deku-vs-overhaul-my-hero-academia.gif

Again, more beneficial to just rewatch Deku vs Overhaul. The animation throughout the entire first is consistently good.

Qh_stl.gif

mha-bnha.gif

499e495f606e77f5f69df43123d117a6ba0602b7.gif

All from season four btw

Apologies for so many GIFs, but these are all from every major battle in the season 4. Deku vs Night Eye, Overhaul raid, Deku vs Overhaul, Endeavor vs Hood, etc. The fact that it's all well animated should be telling. It's more or less comparable to what we got in season 2.

The only reason people prefer season 2 is because season 2 had more spectacle, and scale of most of it's fights appeared way larger (even that's debatable, but I'll leave it up to interpretation).

My point is, MHA's always had consistent, well animated fights and scenes. It wasn't until the first half of season 5 was over that things started to get rocky, and even then, the second half has it's moments too.

The Deku and Shiggy fight in the sky is what made me stop watching the anime entirely, especially when none of the hits from Deku felt stronger than his normal attacks. Not to mention when his Wyoming Smash was just him hitting Shiggy repeatedly like a child LOL
Then you missed out on a lot.

Like, 60% of season 6, lol.

I don't think it's really fair to judge something without looking at it completed.

Jump Festa is happening and Horikoshi revealed he was planning to kill off Endeavor during the All-Out War with Dabi's reveal. Interestingly enough, he changed his mind as he was drawing Endeavor vs High-End. Which means he already planned out a big part of that arc all the way back then.

While I'm very glad Endeavor lived past that part since his story has been amazing. I really wonder how the fight with All For One was going to play out if Endeavor wasn't there? Dabi also wouldn't leave the battlefield, since after Endeavor being dead I'm sure he'd want to kill Shoto.

Meaning Rei, Natsu, and Fuyumi wouldn't be able to get to the battlefield. Maybe that's where the flying U.A. blocks came into play? Since they never really got used. Unless we're suppose to say that the flying U.A. Fortress is where that idea went. Hm... only Horikoshi would know.

And Tsukauchi was originally planned to be a spy working with All For One. Glad that didn't make it through since I really like his character, especially in Vigilantes. Actually, I can't imagine how different Vigilantes would be if that actually ended up happening. It's crazy to think how many things could've ended up so different from what we got.

Hadn't that battle been going on for a long time? But the scene that the story shows us is only the final punch used to end the fight.
We have zero reason to believe he scales to All Might in durability. Considering the fact All Might blew his brains out with one punch, I doubt they're comparable.

All Might's style of fighting is a head on charge with no dodging, he'd stand no chance against someone who is equal to him in all stats but has vastly more abilities. And if Rewind All For One also scales to/above Prime All For One, that's further proof his durability doesn't scale since he's damaged by people vastly weaker than Prime Might.

As explained, AFO's durability comes from his Quirks. He lacks the durable body Shigaraki has via the enhanced surgery. Meaning all of his durability comes from his Quirks, since his normal human body would be insignificant next to dozens of durability enhancing Quirks.

While his body is indeed weaker as a child/prime, his body's physical strength is irrelevant to whatever Quirks he's using to enhance himself. AFO was using Quirks that made him strong/durable enough to catch weakened All Might's punches, Rewind AFO should at least be comparable to that.

All of this would only apply to when he becomes a young, since his adult body is "stronger" than his weakened body. But as explained, nothing scales him to Prime Might.

There are many ways in which AFO could have comparable durability to Prime AM, it's just that a lot is unknown.

For instance, Shock Absorption can be scaled to Prime AM level durability but the catch is that it can only withstand 5 Prime AM punches.

Muscular can withstand 100% OFA punches but you can technically rip off his muscle armor and oneshot him.

Flect Turn's Reflect can withstand countless 100% punches but once you overload it, it loses its effect and even Flect's skin turns from blue to regular color.

Nine's multi-layered air shield (which came from some fodder heroes btw) can withstand at least two 100% OFA attacks.

So I don't think the issue is that AFO can't have Prime All Might level durability, but that even if he had it (for instance combining Impact Recoil, Shock Absorption, Stock, Scale Armor, Bone Armor, etc), there would be conditions and he would have a HP for his dura like in videogames.

A lot of characters in the series can temporarily hang in the All Might tier but they usually end up getting overwhelmed because of some limitations here and there.

Meanwhile someone like All Might could keep going for 72 hours without rest & I think Deku even hit a week of constant OFA-use. And as long as they don't lower the percentage, their durability will remain at max level.

So assuming AFO for instance fought All Might with Shock Absorption, he could have tanked up to 5 hits just fine but then after that he would have been totally screwed.

Might be a little late but did y'all see the discussion on twitter about MHA and the use of blue skys in the anime?
I paid attention to it for like, a collective of five seconds, and afterwards, tried to negotiate with my brain cells to delete what I saw from my memory.

Because it's stupid.

Oh God, is it so stupid.

Lord have mercy—THESE PEOPLE PEOPLE ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT THE SKY BEING TOO BLUE

Look, I get it... MHA doesn't have the best backgrounds (for some reason) but the sky being blue is like... how is that the problem?

What's it supposed to be? Periwinkle? Navy blue? True Blue? Turquoise? Teal?

******* green?

These people can maybe stretch this too, "for certain scenes, the sky should be a different color to portray different types of atmosphere" but even then, that's not a matter of the sky, that's a matter concerning background. Background effects /=/ sky color.

No, some of these dudes are LITERALLY complaining about the sky not being a specific shade of blue... Christ.

90% of the time, the sky is supposed to be blue, and I don't wanna hear some gold fish IQ'd, media illiterate, color blinded blue bird social media clown say otherwise.

MHA is not perfect. There's tons of flaws, of differing severities, but the anime adhering to what should be common sense isn't one of those. This should be the LAST thing we should be talking about.

Like, seriously... out of all the things to complain about, these people pick the sky being blue???

Nah bro, I'm done with AniTwitter 😂😂😂 that community is so ******* cooked to hell and back that God convinced the devil himself to have a BBQ on it for ***** and giggles.

**** man, I'm gonna need a shot of Hennessey after this to cope with the fact that such stupidity is so ******* widespread somehow. This is beyond stupid. I'm convinced that the people making these takes have whole ass DEGREES in media illiteracy. Saying they went to university for shit like this isn't a plausible of enough explanation.

You have to have at LEAST a PHD to be this proficient in talking out of your ass.

Back