• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Mythology Feats and Cosmology

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm Blue daba dee daba die said:
"Omnipotent hobos"

Are you talking about Reinhard? Hajun? TLOI? Akuto? of all of the Anime Tier 1's
I mean...they're all less interesting omnipotents than a giant tower...

The One Above All was once portrayed as a hobo when appearing before Spider-Man.

Anyway, I agree that long-standing traditions and culture that define our foundation and history are far more important than temporary, and recurrently destructive, fads and memes, but again, this is a wiki about fiction, not about offending religious people.

The real cal howard said:
Then request it to be covered on Overly Sarcastic Productions or Extra Credit. Not a site dedicated towards fictional characters.
I think his entire point (assuming I've been paying correct attention here) is that mythological characters are fictional enough for us to index and that them having extensive ties with religion, or drawing from religion as part of their scaling, shouldn't change that.

Which I don't entirely disagree with, although considering this is the same community which couldn't handle having Barney the Dinosaur on the site for over a year or so, the fact that this is becoming such a major issue with people is also unsurprising to me.

Don't make the Barney thing seem like a knock on us. I guarantee the only other versus debating...thing at all, site, YouTube channel, or otherwise, that acknowledges Barney's existence is CFC for their meme battles.

It isn't a "knock" on anyone. It's me pointing to another case where several people got into major shouting matches over whether or not a much less provocative character should be allowed on this site (most of which boiled down to "Side A doesn't like this" VS "Side B has put too much time into it to care"), and stating that this topic turning into an argument should have been a natural conclusion in light of that.

And I think I have the right to bring that situation up as I please, since I was ultimately the one who had to pull the trigger on that character after seeing how every discussion about him was handled. If me doing so bothers you, that isn't my problem, but don't try to act like I'm belittling anyone in doing so.

Anyway, my point was this: I don't personally agree with most (read: most, not all) of the arguments against Udl and the profile he's been working on, but I'm also aware that this is likely to remain controversial and nigh-impossible to talk about even if it does get accepted, because that's how these things tend to go. But I don't think that being dismissive and telling Udl to go represent his research someplace else is the right way to go about it, especially since his entire point appears to be that what he's been researching should have a right to exist here.

The heck are you guys even talking about? You're massively derailing an a thread almost close to its reply limit.

MrKingOfNegativity said:
Anyway, my point was this: I don't personally agree with most (read: most, not all) of the arguments against Udl and the profile he's been working on, but I'm also aware that this is likely to remain controversial and nigh-impossible to talk about even if it does get accepted, because that's how these things tend to go. But I don't think that being dismissive and telling Udl to go represent his research someplace else is the right way to go about it, especially since his entire point appears to be that what he's been researching should have a right to exist here.
This wasn't derailing. It was a direct response to something on-topic that was said earlier.

YMMV on the rest of the comments made in the last 4-5 hours or so, but the quoted portion of my comment was meant to keep things from getting any further off-track.

Udlmaster said:
>No fandom will be willing to die on the battlefield for Omnipotent Goku. Many religious groups would be willing to do that right now if they think their religion is in danger

You actually have no idea of the types of arguments are made on Facebook debate groups then.
Well, it all depends on where you go, but I'd say it is festered with more Goku downplayers than wankers. Places like Universal Battle Ground and Death Battle Unrestricted still don't even recognize him being universal. I've seen arguements that like he's 7-B "via feats alone".

I've on god seen people Unironically say that Goku slaps Marvel and DC combined and explaining it to them does nothing to dis-sway themx

MrKingOfNegativity said:
Can we not get into that argument of all things right now? I don't see how it's actually irrelevant to this thread.
You mean relevant, I assume.

For the whole Myths thing, if something can be properly sourced I'm guessing it can stay, though with how much the religions and it's characters keep changing and being pretty muc not what they were before (overly sarcastic productions does point this out quiet well) I don't really like making composite profiles for them.

But as I said to Udl, my dislike for composite characters is not really something to be argued on mythology.

Regardless, this isn't about what is and isn't allowed anymore, so please stop bringing it back up. We need to focus on the tiering of the page with what little number of replies we have left.

I'm specifically referring to the Jade Emperor WIP from Udl. The rest should be deleted if they are unsourced.

Sera EX said:
Regardless, this isn't about what is and isn't allowed anymore, so please stop bringing it back up. We need to focus on the tiering of the page with what little number of replies we have left.
Wait, why isn't it? A conclusion wasn't reached, we just argued about it for 200 posts. Are we really setting a precedent that you should just argue something repeatedly until everyone gives up and lets it through?

Well, we do need a new thread soon. Would you be willing to create it Agnaa?

I think right now someone else should create a separate thread for tiering the Jade Emperor. Udl and I talking about whether it should be allowed on the site can wait for a bit, and could go to our message walls or a thread made later (whichever is preferred).

Okay. Is somebody else willing to handle this instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back