• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Naruto Databook Skill Parameters

KingTempest

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
The Naruto databooks from the first to the third have a section for each character referred to as the Skill Parameter, showcasing the level of Ninjutsu, Taijutsu, Genjutsu, Intelligence, Strength, Speed, Stamina, and Hand Seals that each Shinobi have.

The wiki currently doesn't accept stats like that, mainly because of inconsistencies between stats throughout verses, the author's ignorance of their own characters, and mainly the desire to find feats instead of just numerical values.

I'm here to show that there's consistency in the Naruto databook's Skill Parameter, and to allow it in scaling on a case by case basis.

Hidan is stated canonically to have the slowest combat speed in the Pre-Tobi Akatsuki. He was given a 3.5 in his attack speed, while every other Akatsuki member with stats at that point was superior to Hidan.
Consistent with the statement.

Itachi is shown to be able to move his hands faster than Kakashi can perceive and can make one handed hand signs. He is also extremely fast. His ninjutsu and genjutsu speaks for itself. All of those justify his 5s in ninjutsu, genjutsu, speed, and hand signs. He is also very intelligent, having the second highest scores in the history of the Chūnin Exams written test behind Minato Namikaze, justifying his 5 in intelligence. But his sickness has affected him as well, giving him a 2.5 in Stamina.
  • Ninjutsu - 5
  • Genjtusu - 5
  • Intelligence - 5
  • Speed - 5
  • Stamina - 2.5
  • Hand Signs - 5
Consistent with his showings.

Choji is consistently stated to have the highest physical strength in the Sasuke Retrieval Squad.
Statement 1
Statement 2
Statement 3
Akimichi Chouji: The support attacker. He packs the biggest punch and can decisively support the front three in the event of a surprise attack.
But it's also stated that he lacks speed.
The only person superior to Kiba in striking is Choji, but Choji is also very slow.
  • Choji
    • Strength - 3.5
    • Speed - 1
  • Naruto
    • Strength - 3
    • Speed - 3
  • Kiba
    • Strength - 3
    • Speed - 4
  • Shikamaru
    • Strength - 2
    • Speed - 2.5
  • Neji
    • Strength - 2.5
    • Speed - 4
This is very consistent with the statements we have of physical strength and speed.

Sasuke vs Itachi is a fight that compares a number of their stats consistently.
They are both comparable in Ninjutsu, giving them both 5s.
Itachi is superior in Taijutsu, giving him a 4.5 while Sasuke has a 3.5.
Sasuke's skills in Hand Signs are inferior to Itachi's, giving Itachi a 5 while Sasuke has a 4.
Comparable in speed, justifying both of their 5s.
Itachi is obviously superior in Genjutsu
  • Ninjutsu
    • Sasuke - 5
    • Itachi - 5
  • Taijutsu
    • Sasuke - 3.5
    • Itachi - 4.5
  • Genjutsu
    • Sasuke - 4
    • Itachi - 5
  • Speed
    • Sasuke - 5
    • Itachi - 5
  • Hand Signs
    • Sasuke - 4
    • Itachi - 5
Consistent with the portrayals.

Team Guy was stated to be faster than Team Kakashi.
Team Kakashi of that time consisted of Kakashi, Naruto, Sakura, and Lady Chiyo.
Team Guy consisted of Might Guy, Rock Lee, Tenten, and Neji Hyuga.
Consistent with the showings.

Naruto + Clone and Chiyo matched each other, with Naruto complimenting her fighting prowess.
She basically showed superiority to Naruto w/out a clone, but Naruto did match her strength (the clone didn't show to assist his strength).
  • Taijutsu
    • Naruto - 3.5
    • Chiyo - 4.5
  • Strength
    • Naruto - 3.5
    • Chiyo - 3.5
  • Speed
    • Naruto - 3.5
    • Chiyo - 4
Consistent with their little skirmish.

The Shinobi Progress Chart lists 2 pages that show the progress of 7 characters over the canonical timeskip, listing how they were trained in certain areas and those stats rose.
zYaEmjq.png
GziDTaU.png

In Conclusion.

We can use the databook stats on a case by case basis.

Last edited:
This looks fine to me. I agree.

The Databooks are more consistent than people give them credit for. However, it should still be noted that, like with everything DB related, this is only going to be on a case by case basis, and cannot be taken over actual feats and statements from the manga in the case of contradictions.
We also need to recognize that the stats just represent a general ballpark, and are only meant to show how characters generally compare with each other at the point in the series the DB is meant to represent. Meaning we can't use the stats as some linear power level to dictate their statistics on the profiles. They should only be used for comparisons and scaling, not specific ratings and whatnot.

With all that being said, good job putting all of this together.

Nice job with the OP. While I do support case by case basis when regarding the DB, I'm not 100% with using these numbers due to use not knowing the gap in which they represent.

Example: Choji has a 1 for speed, Shikamaru has a 2.5 for speed, Naruto has a 3 for speed, Kiba has a 4 for speed.

However going off our ratings...

Choji is Supersonic (Should be comparable to Naruto), Shikamaru is likely High Hypersonic (Scaling to Tayuya), Naruto is Supersonic (Blitzed some thugs), Kiba is Supersonic (Fought evenly with Naruto)

As you can see, something is wrong here.

Now I get that you said it should be a case by case basis and I'm fine with that but how much is the line gonna be stretched? We'd half to look at various points in the series and see if they line up with what the DB states and how we rate the characters. Some characters would likely receive downgrades or upgrades depending on what we take. Not to mention the distance between each number might play a factor into how people would view a character over another. Is a 1 that much lower than a 2 or a 3?, imagine if someone sees we are accepting states from the DB and thinks they can upscale characters based on these numbers. Note, I'm not saying anyone here will do that, just that it's possible.

Again, I understand this is a case by case basis and understand what your trying to do. I'm just worried about what others might attempt when using these. The last thing we need is more issues regarding Naruto scaling. It's unlikely any of the problems will occur but I just want to make sure all the basis are covered here. Regardless, I agree with using the DB stats in a case by case basis but just be on alert regarding how others might interpret what your trying to do.

It won't be linear since it's against our rules in powerscaling. Here's what we'll do.

Someone who's a 2.5 is > someone who's a 1. We don't know how much, we'll just say they're > the 1.

IMO using Databooks on a case by case basis comes out as a little bit redundant when that would imply you already have a proof of it. You won’t confirm that Lee is faster than Sasuki-kun because he's scores higher in the statistics, you'll confirm it with the scene of Lee showing that he's faster than Sasuki-kun.

I guess this is to avoid sorts of circular scaling?

Taking Databook stats for face value in case by case scenarios means that there needs to be a further proof that backs up that stat. If you have that proof, there's no many scenarios in which you will need the stat.

Case by case for databooks refers to this
  • The Naruto databook descriptions should only be used on a case-by-case basis, depending on if the sources are consistent with the manga or are questionable hyperbole.
Not "you need feats from the manga to justify it". That's unrealistic for all those characters to get their own feats

We don't need "further proof" for that, that's why the stats are here, to give some scaling to featless characters.
If you have that proof, there's no many scenarios in which you will need the stat.
Exactly, we wouldn't use the stats for characters with feats. But how would you know that Sasori was faster than Kisame, for example. There are not feats or statements, so we use the scaling. We don't need feats to support because this is what the stats will do.

So, we're gonna use this just like how we use the Marvel Databooks for powerscaling purposes?

Seems fine to me.

The difference is like, Naruto as a franchise does not have decades of content from different authors with different visions for their characters.... so it's much more consistent.
Heh, fair point.

What happens in cases where the info may be outdated? Say if at the beginning of Shippuden Sasori is rated as faster than Kisame, but then 200 chapters after the databook came out Kisame gets a speed feat that completely dwarfs anything else from the series?

In other words, are the databook values valid just for the time when the databook came out?

What happens in cases where the info may be outdated? Say if at the beginning of Shippuden Sasori is rated as faster than Kisame, but then 200 chapters after the databook came out Kisame gets a speed feat that completely dwarfs anything else from the series?

In other words, are the databook values valid just for the time when the databook came out?
Well if someone performs a speed feat superior to their DB rating, we will just use the manga feat instead.

There is an issue with the statistics being outdated, since they only cover up till the Sasuke vs Itachi fight. It will also be a challenge to mesh them with the powercreep.

There is an issue with the statistics being outdated, since they only cover up till the Sasuke vs Itachi fight. It will also be a challenge to mesh them with the powercreep.
Then use the statistics up until that point, it's case-by-case basis for a reason.

Case by case basis.

It’s because the Bijuu are accepted as being weaker before the War, although I’m not sure how this relates to the premise of this thread.

It’s because the Bijuu are accepted as being weaker before the War, although I’m not sure how this relates to the premise of this thread.
It doesn't.

We have a general discussion thread. Please take the questions there.

Now, should this be closed? It's been accepted, and it's just to accept the stats for use. Nothing needs to be changed (in this thread, a good amount of things need to be changed).

Back