• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Before you read: I am very sorry for such a weighty post on such an obscure series, but I really need help.

So after a hiatus that I took to ensure that I wouldn't start hating this series via over-analyzing it, I have decided to continue my Katanagatari revision/expansion, but the scaling statements are a bit problematic so I'd like a second opinion on how I should do this.

Only a few solid destruction feats exist, which luckily scale nicely to the low, mid, top, and god-tier characters, respectively.

Low tier: Meisai Tsuruga cuts a man in half, Kuizame Maniwa cuts a rowboat full of people to pieces. (seems pretty solidly 9-B)

Mid tier: Kanara Azekura rams Shichika through a wall and Shichika easily tanks it, Itezora clan members are stated to be able to rend apart trees and boulders with casual swings (Seems either high-end 9-B or 9-A)

Top tier: Restricted Sabi Hakuhei destroys Ganryu Island while fighting Shichika (Calc'd at 8-B+), Shichika shakes the Imperial Palace with a punch

God tier: Post-Itezora Nanami Yasuri is stated to have destroyed Mt Odori (Baseline 7-A if it's a valid statement), Sabi Hakuhei is stated to be able to cut the moon or sun in half (very likely a hyperbole)

So now the fun begins. Sorry for the impending infodump.

The scaling for the series is very weird, owing to the fact that the protagonist and several other upper-tier characters are actively restricting their abilities throughout the story, with conflicting statements provided as to who is stronger than who. So in this post I will lay out what feats and statements exist for each of said characters.

Shichika Yasuri: (Restricted) As stated above, tanked a 9-B/9-A attack without a scratch. His battle with restricted Hakuhei yielded an 8-B+ feat. Stated that the fight with Hakuhei took him "to the edge of his abilities", but later contradicted himself and said they had both still been holding back, with Hakuhei in particular only showing a minuscule fraction of his power. Had his arm broken and was casually outmatched by Konayuki. Was hopelessly outclassed by Post-Itezora Nanami but later matched and killed her with his ultimate technique. One-shotted Hoo Maniwa. (Unrestricted) Effortlessly shattered each Deviant Blade (something he explicitly failed to do prior). Is stated to be superior to every prior Deviant Blade wielder, which would logically include Hakuhei, Konayuki, and Nanami. Was very evenly matched with Emonzaemon while suicidally bloodlusted.

Nanami Yasuri: (Pre-Itezora) Is stated by Shichika to be superior to Hakuhei. Repeatedly called the most powerful character in the series. (Post-Itezora) Effortlessly wiped out the Itezora Clan, of which Konayuki was the weakest. Supposedly destroyed Mt Odori. Absolutely curbstomped Restricted Shichika, but was later killed by his ultimate technique (though she was wanting to die). Implied to be stronger than Emonzaemon.

Sabi Hakuhei: Has an effortless 8-B+ feat. Only lost to Shichika because he was holding back immensely. Regarded as one of the most powerful characters. Stated to be weaker than Pre-Itezora Nanami. Implied to be weaker than Unrestricted Shichika.

Konayuki: Casually broke Restricted Shichika's arm and outclassed him in strength. Her family, all of whom are stronger than her, were stomped by Nanami. Implied to be weaker than Unrestricted Shichika.

Emonzaemon: Was evenly matched against Hoo Maniwa and Unrestricted Shichika, though the latter narrowly managed to kill him.

Hoo Maniwa: Evenly matched against Emonzaemon. Oneshot by Restricted Shichika while possessed.

Thoughts on how I should piece together this monstrosity of contradictions?

Destruction feats seem good, except for the mid-tiers, I think you'd be ok with just leaving that at 9-B+

Aiight, piecing togther all of the next bit in the next comment.

This is gonna list everyone in terms of power from weakest to strongest based on what I just saw

Shichika Yasuri (Restricted): Loses to everyone except for the guy that he oneshots, but that feat really ain't useable as the oneshotted was possessed at the time

Konayuki: Beat the last guy, but everyone that was stronger than her in her family was stomped by someone else. Is also stated to be weaker than Shichika Yasuri when he's unrestricted

Sabi Hakuhei: Much weaker than unrestricted Shichika, and Nana pre-thing, who is weaker than the top three.

Hoo Maniwa: Not only fought against an Emonzaemon who was seeking deadly revenge against him, but the version of him that Shichika killed was possessed by someone else, who may have been less skilled at using his body.

Nanami Yasuri: (Pre-Itezora) Superior to Hakuhei. Likely very similar in power to Hoo, but is placed above him due to statements that she is one of, if not the most powerful person in the verse

Emonzaemon: Fought evenly against Shickika. The suicidal bloodlust probably worked is his favour, as being that bloodlusted doesn't really help someone fight. Fought evenly against Hoo, but is less powerful than unrestricted Shichika and post-Itezora Nana.

Shichika Yasuri (Unrestricted): Massively more powerful than his previous form. Fought evenly against, and managed to kill, Emon.

Nanami Yasuri: (Post-Itezora) Curbstomped Shichika in his restricted form, and was only defeated when she wanted to die. Much stronger than Emon

Alright. Your reasoning makes sense. If I may offer one possible counterpoint...

Hoo: Not only fought against an Emonzaemon who was seeking deadly revenge against him, but the version of him that Shichika killed was possessed by someone else, who may have been less skilled at using his body.

Oh, I thought that it was Shichika that was possessed, sorry. Edit incoming

Note that Hoo, Nanami Yasuri (Pre-Itezora), Emonzaemon and Shichika Yasuri (Unrestricted) are practically at the same power level. They are only seperated the way they are because of statements and fight results. But they will be very close.

Crimson's solution seems fine to apply.

Back