• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

New wiki features?

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Hello.

I received the following message yesterday, with suggestions for new wiki features.

What do the rest of you think?

Withersoul 235 said:
Hello,

I recently got a few ideas for features on the VS Battles wiki; maybe these ideas could be taken into consideration to be added? I'll post them here. They are all JavaScript-based, but do not require programming skills and must simply be listed on MediaWiki:ImportJS.
  • The Mark for Deletion functio in the bottom toolbar allows users to insta-mark pages to be deleted (doesn't actually delete the page). Makes quick work of blacklisted profiles or profiles that should otherwise be deleted.
  • The Power-Delete Tool deletes a page whilst also locking it at the same time. Prime usage on this wiki would be to prevent pages deemed worthy of this treatment from being recreated.
Those are all the ideas I had in mind. Perhaps this can be shown to the rest of the wiki Staff to gain their input? I really think these additions would be very helpful for the wiki.

Best regards,

~Wither

NOTE: STAFF ONLY

Here is another message that I received about this:

GoldenScorpions said:
Hello,

I simply wanted to ask something about the list of proposed new features, specifically "The Mark for Deletion function". I think that this feature could potentially be dangerous if overused, as it may lead to an unrestrained use of the mark with each time only a limited number of people aware of the deletion. If a profile needs to be deleted, it should still be go through the Profile Deletion Request thread, including if a staff member wants to delete a page, so everyone can be aware of it,

Again, just my opinion.
I think that this makes sense. It is probably best to avoid adding that feature.

With the exception of Power-Delete, most of these features already exist, but if easier access is what we're going for, I'm all for it.

These sound helpful. Especially Power-Delete, since I just deleted a "Sanic" profile that deserves to go on Joke Battles Wikia.

Okay. Ryukama and Azathoth were also fine with this when I asked them.

It might be best if I wait for a few more replies before applying this though.

I am also somewhat uncertain about the view source button, as it will also more easily allow other wikis to copy our pages, but I may be too paranoid here.

Power delete is probably useful for the staff, as it prevents regular members from recreating inappropriate pages via page protection.

Administrators and content moderators can still restore the pages of course.

Anyway, I have made the additions now, other than mark for deletion.

Antvasima said:
I am also somewhat uncertain about the view source button, as it will also more easily allow other wikis to copy our pages, but I may be too paranoid here.
The view source button already comes up for anyone who wants to edit the page but doesn't have the access rights. This would just make it slightly quicker for people who don't want to go through "edit" -> "source" and can just click View Source instead

Okay. Thank you. Never mind then.

Power delete seems harmless, as long as it is only used for highly inappropriate pages.

Regular members can also ask admins to unlock a deleted page, so it can be recreated again.

Why do you not think that a power delete button seems like a good idea? If there is a valid reason, I can remove it.

I think that profiles should be discussed in either the Profile Deletion requests thread or a new thread before power-deletion occurs (if said feature is implemented) to prevent any misuse. Otherwise, I am fine with the proposed feature implementations.

Well, I could just remove the power delete option if it seems unsafe.

I have done so, to stay on the safe side.

Back