• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Non-combat profiles question

Gemmysaur

VS Battles
Retired
It seems we are getting quite a bit of non-combat profiles lately. I'd have to ask, where do we draw the line here?

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Makoto_Konno

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Sora_(No_Game,_No_Life)

These profiles are entirely human level and possess no fighting skill whatsoever (Sora does have his intellect though), so stats for them are pretty much useless. At least the likes of Aisaka Taiga has a feat of damaging a concrete post or something (I dunno if she has a profile here).

I know we discussed this before and it was concluded that there's no harm in having these profiles so long as they're notable enough, but where do we draw the line, might I ask? I mean, we are named versus battles despite our primary function as an indexing site.

EDIT:

Maybe, we can have a notable feats section for them detailing why they're here in the first place? This could be so the profile can showcase what makes them special. I mean Sora has his ridiculous intellect that can be used for a versus battle with the likes of Lelouch or Light Yagami.

Oh, and STAFF DISCUSSION thread, so staff only. Thanks.

Agree with Matthew. Unless they have Martial Arts or some form of power outside of a normal human's, it's not really worth clogging up the wiki with it.

We discussed this a while back and we decided that they are fine since this site's main purpose is to gather the stats for fictional character, the Vs part is secondary to that.

@Radical

No one said that. But if they aren't any different from a Tier 10, what's the point of indexing it. It's not a hard guess to know most slice of life characters are pretty meh, same with allot of video games, most soldiers are 10-A or 9-C at best, it's not really worth all the effort (or lack thereof)

Sora has something notable with him, that being intelligence, which if we allow, I guess would be usable against similar profiles like Light in a chess match or something.

The girl who lept through time has a disposable time peanut that runs out of juice and is not usable in combat, and very much nothing else.

Well here is the original thread for anyone who wants to go through it.

And I agree with what was posted there, its good for a sense of completion and they don't cause any harm.

@Hop Ryu said something along those line "Like Ant said, this is a site that mainly focusses on indexing, not fighting. "

@Gemmy in the case of intelligence its good to note the feats so when they are put against other characters of that caliber, people have a good gauge of what they are capable.

Well I agree that making a million profiles for entirely human characters with no special powers or abilities at all is kinda useless. I mean this site can do without a Joey Tribbiani or Hannah Montana profile.

However if characters are human level in stats, but have a variety of powers/hax, along with numerous feats they have done with these powers. Like Adam Conover or Haruhi Suzumiya, then those profiles should be fine in my opinion.

If characters are Athlete to Street level, but they are notable for being martial artists and have various feats/showings that put them on these levels, like Mr. Miyagi or the aforementioned Taiga Aisaka, then those profiles should be fine as well.

"They're non-combatant" or "they're not that powerful" have never been and never will be good arguments in my opinion. However if a character has no notable powers or abilities (or even a lack of said things that'd make them notable like 10-Cs and Tier 11s), then I agree we don't need them to have profiles.

I myself don't really see an issue with this. Take Jimmy Hopkins as example, he's only an average teenager with average stats, but still has good feats (for his tier) like brawling with thugs, outrunning football players and receiving martial arts from an ex-US Soldier, among other things.

Though I do agree with Ryu, their should be limits. If a character doesn't really have anything going for them, whether it be abilities, intelligence, strength, skill, etc then it is kind of pointless.

Hop was not saying that, you dolt. Hop is actually talking about indexing, not fighting.

Hop doesn't care if are are usable for a fight but if they are no more complex than:

Tier: 10-B

Attack Potency: Human level

Speed: Average: Human level

Striking Strength: Class H

Lifting Strength: Reegular Human

Intelligence: Average

Then there is not much reason to eve index them, fighting aside. They're super easy to understand and comprehend. It is literally a no brainer, and more of the case of "why-do-we-need-this and why-should-we-care" type of thing that Hop is trying to argue. Battle context is not needed to argue they have no right to exist, if they are so basic. Come on, we don't need the 10-B best friend of your average anime protagoniost on here for every other reason.

If It's a 10-B Martial Arts Master with Time Stop, Teleportation and High-Regenerationn, then I have no problem with keeping them. But if it's a 10-B with NO powers or simply very limited powers / skills (I.E, Time Travel through complicated means or Supergenius Intellect), then what's the point?

I can understand Sora since he's the protagonist of the animu, but in 90% of the cases it has no purpose.

Exactly what Matt and Ryu said.

We don't need non unique people we already know to be vanilla Tier 10, as Hop calls it.

Vanillas just clog the wiki, and really add nothing, are just edit whoring excuses, and are quite pointless

I've deleted about 20 so far.

By the way, the Aphorism Verse seems to consist solely of 10-Bs with little powers. Do we really need all those pages?

I think it might be better to wait until Antvasima returns before making any major rule changes or revisions personally.

At this point that sounds like a good idea.

Also maybe we should make a "Vanilla removal" thread? Or like with the Tier 6 revision, give certain staff members the task of seeking out and deleting them?

Just an idea.

Let's have a list or something of non-combat profiles first, and reasons why maybe.

Let's have a list or something of non-combat profiles first, and reasons why maybe.

I like this idea:

Also maybe we should make a "Vanilla removal" thread?

I think that we should welcome non-combat-oriented profiles, as long as the characters that they are based on are notable/popular and/or well-known. They do not cause any harm, and this is primarily a statistics indexing wiki.

However, we should obviously not allow random side-characters with no distinguishing characteristics or abilities whatsoever. I do not mind if we have 10-B profiles, but they should still be reasonably thorough, and well made.

So, the likes of mediocre, normal human anime MC #75 and the like are acceptable?

Gemmysaur said:
So, the likes of mediocre, normal human anime MC #75 and the like are acceptable?
They are pointless not harmful but they can at least make people who enjoy whatever verse has exclusively 10-Bs happy.

Well, if that's the case, then I'm fine, though I don't necessarily like it. I suppose this thread is a close then or are there other things related up for discussion?

I honestly don't care for vanilla profiles. Like, what's stopping me from making profiles for Jack and Rose from Titanic, or Zach and Cody, or a MC from a dating sim, etc.

I agree with antvasima here, in that Tier 10-B profiles are completly fine.

Furthermore, believe it or not, but 10-B characters can fight between each others and one can even make decisions as long as their profile are sufficiently detailed.

Sufficiently detailed is here fulfilled at the point they for example have any kind of supernatural power or any kind of superhuman stat (even if that is range or intelligence or something), have special equipement, have shown themself a expert or especially expierienced in certain fields etc.

The only truly uninteresting 10-B profile would be one that has nothing on it, except human stats, no abilities, no expertise in anything. Basically a profile where you couldn't even imagine how a fighting scenario could look like or where you could replace the character through a randomly picked other human and nothing would change.

For example a battle between Okabe Rintarou with his mikrowave and Makoto Konno, bloodlusted in a scenario where they have to find and kill each other can be interesting and can be debated in my opinion. It might not be your average shonenish fight, but that doesn't make it worse.

So not only do 10-B profiles do no harm (those barely have maintance) they can at times even be interesting.

If this should in total conclude against deleting 10-B profiles with just human stats (unrelated to which abilities or otherwise capabilities they have), I remind to restore the deleted profiles btw. Some of those were very much capable and special fighters.

Anyone still in suuport of th Vanilla Removal idea?

I'm support this.

Deleting something without discussion is a very bad thing.

I'd actually like to keep some of these profiles.

As we've stated countless times before, this is primarily a character indexing wiki, not a combat wiki like Death Battle.

As long as they have SOMETHING that could potentially be used in a versus fight, there's no reason why they can't be here. If we go by the logic of, "it can't/won't be argued, therefore it shouldn't be here", then we wouldn't bother having any 1-A profiles. Heck, we wouldn't have any less-popular profiles or formerly popular characters despite the fact that they had full and long-running series (i.e. Arago Hunt). as DonTalk stated, they ca be used in a fight, it's just that they're not popular since they don't have a whole lot between them that makes them interesting.

I'll admit that I was a bit miffed when the Shokugeki no Soma profiles were deleted after I went through the trouble of fixing them up, but those can leave because they don't have real combat potential outside of foodgasming their opponents into a coma.

I agree with DontTalk and A6colute. The deleted profiles should preferably be restored, along with all of their page-protections.

A6colute said:
Anyone still in suuport of th Vanilla Removal idea?
I'm support this.

Deleting something without discussion is a very bad thing.
Not just that, but a generic Tier 10 or whatever is quite pointless. But we should evaulate everything before making so many actions.

Back