• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
He's High Hypersonic in the profile rn, so blitzing bullets would apply for the current speed as well. Prob needs a nerf.

For this assumption of relativistic to work, that is the difference of speed necessary.

It’s either she’s far, far faster than Percy is without his curse, or he didn’t get faster at all, in which case he should have absolutely lolblitzed a bullet from a skeleton.
She isn't. They were portrayed as on par with each other, and if anything Percy was always said to be much stronger since he's a child of the Big Three

It's not like he got a dozen times faster between the books, he even points out how his swordfighting got worse in Mark of Athena.

It's not like he got a dozen times faster between the books, he even points out how his swordfighting got worse in Mark of Athena.
He got far stronger from Lightning Thief to Last Olympian, and then got even stronger because time skipped forward and he kept training and fighting strong opponents. So while it isn’t realistic, the feats are there to show he got at least dozens of times faster, as he consistently reacts to lightning timers.

Definitely a lot stronger between the first and fifth, I just don't see the big difference going into the second series.

I'll also point out that someone faster than Percy considers a horse a bit over Mach 1 to be fast as hell. >_>

Definitely a lot stronger between the first and fifth, I just don't see the big difference going into the second series.

I'll also point out that someone faster than Percy considers a horse a bit over Mach 1 to be fast as hell. >_>
Superhuman speed demigods and Subsonic Zeus?

oh yeah, I keep forgetting

Arion, stated to be the fastest land creature, is only 800 mph.

That’s kind of a hard oof

Peak Human to Subsonic for the verse confirmed

I unironically think that that was the intention. It's not what ended up happening with the lightning feat, but it seems like the authorial intent.

Could the lightning feats be outliers?
There are quite a few of them, so it’s more bad power scaling from the author than outlier.

This is just Riordan having extremely inconsistent writing (which makes sense considering it’s for kids). Encleadus caught cloud to ground lightning off his spear and deflected it (which only yielded Mach 3 but whatever), Hermes’ boots travelled 70 million meters in an hour

Slight derail, but has anyone looked into Kane Chronicles? Percy and Kane fight each other in a crossover. Will admit I haven't read that, but usually hear Percy won. Could open up more scaling if anything interesting turns up

For lightning, it's simple enough that the demigod's powers aren't as fast as the real thing, not a stretch and makes it consistent.

The boots, if you mean Tartarus, it could just be that Annabeth was wrong on how deep it is.

Slight derail, but has anyone looked into Kane Chronicles? Percy and Kane fight each other in a crossover. Will admit I haven't read that, but usually hear Percy won. Could open up more scaling if anything interesting turns up
Carter sucker punches Percy across a swamp then Percy comes back and dominates him in swordplay but he “beats” Percy by tying him up with magic rope.

Summoned by demigod power magic, it wasn't natural from what I recall.

It doesn't have to be as fast as the real thing, especially if it's so problematic compared to the speeds the author seems to intend for them. It's not like slow lightning is rare in fiction.

Zeus is far more powerful, so maybe they just can't pull it down as fast, who knows. ¯\(ツ)

I don't know the wiki's stance, but if it contradicts the other feats to this extent, then it being slower definitely the reasonable assumption to make. I don't recall anything near it from the demigods, the centaurs and pegasi have some super speed warp feats, the latter seem faster than Airon, but how it works is a bit unclear, and I don't think it ever translated to combat speed.

Carter is listed now as "At most 6-C" by diwnscaling from Percy. Carter also said many times that even when he thought he was in shape, Percy just outclassed him. Besides, Percy tanked his Horus Fist with no damage

Carter is listed now as "At most 6-C" by diwnscaling from Percy. Carter also said many times that even when he thought he was in shape, Percy just outclassed him. Besides, Percy tanked his Horus Fist with no damage
Bro imagine you unleash your ultimate attack only to realize the main character your fighting alread completed their main arc...

It was only a brief scuffle as a result of a miscommunication, the only thing that really came out of it was Carter launching Percy over the horizon (due to positioning mentioned in the book Percy would've landed in the ocean) with the Fist of Horus and Percy returning a short while later, which gives him a decent underwater travel speed feat.

Did the calc and it came up with a wall level result, but that calc was done assuming air resistance was negligible, which is most definitely wouldn't be in that scenario.

Even still it wouldn't even be Percy's best durability feat, its up there (maybe top 5) but doesn't really add anything to the conversation.

This is just Riordan having extremely inconsistent writing (which makes sense considering it’s for kids). Encleadus caught cloud to ground lightning off his spear and deflected it (which only yielded Mach 3 but whatever), Hermes’ boots travelled 70 million meters in an hour
The whole Hermes shoe calc took multiple quotes disgustingly out of context.

Its whole logic is based on the fact that Percy and Annabeth fell for 9 days before reaching Tartarus and that Kronos in TLT had to react to Grover's flying shoes traveling that same distance when they entered Tartarus in order to attempt to suck them into it.

Anybody who has so much as read the books could point out multiple issues with that rationale and because I have the time I'm going to list them all.

1. Percy and Annabeth didn't fall for 9 days, she was referencing that the poet Hesiod:
"Nine days. As she fell, Annabeth thought about Hesiod, the old Greek poet who'd speculated it would take nine days to fall from earth to Tartarus. She hoped Hesiod was wrong. She'd lost track of how long she and Percy had been falling - hours? A day?"

2. There's no reason to assume that the shoes fell the distance that Percy and Annabeth did as they fell in a completely different entrance that was in Rome, not in the underworld. Even if you factor the distance to Hades given in SoN and subtract that from the distance Percy and Annabeth fell, we still don't know how deep that section of Tartarus goes.

3. There's no reason to assume that Kronos reacted to the shoe's travelling that distance as he was in a scattered form that did not reside in a single place within Tartarus and would not need to see the shoes to react as he is capable of sensing beings in the mortal world.

4. The shoes had never shown comparable speeds before in any of the several fights they were used in the book prior. The value calc'ed would be an outlier on principle of it being orders of magnitudes faster than its best feat.

The fact that Percy and Annabeth were able to keep up with them on foot should be enough to debunk the calc.

As for Riordan being inconsistent, the lighting reaction feats aren't even outliers considering all have in universe explanations.

Percy fails to react to lightning more than once and Jason never explicitly reacted to lightning.

The feat used to give most of the verse "Massively Hypersonic" speeds never mentions Jason reacting to the lightning:

"The second spirit let loose a bolt of lightning, but Jason's blade absorbed the charge."

The fact that Jason was subconsciously using his powers to direct attacks away from himself even with amnesia and that he can control lightning already alone casts enough doubt on the feat as it is, but the fact that Percy couldn't react to lightning from further away when there was a clear wind-up on the attack back in TTC and still couldn't react to it again in his fight with Jason later on (who is evenly matched with Percy in terms of reaction speed) debunks the calc outright.

I should also note the distances mentioned in the calc of 21 meters is also bogus as the 2 Venti attacking Jason charged him at the same time, the first of which he cut with his sword, the second being the one who then launched lightning at him, meaning the distance was closer to 5 meters than 20.

Last edited:
The whole Hermes shoe calc took multiple quotes disgustingly out of context.

Its whole logic is based on the fact that Percy and Annabeth fell for 9 days before reaching Tartarus and that Kronos in TLT had to react to Grover's flying shoes traveling that same distance when they entered Tartarus in order to attempt to suck them into it.

Anybody who has so much as read the books could point out multiple issues with that rationale and because I have the time I'm going to list them all.

1. Percy and Annabeth didn't fall for 9 days, she was referencing that the poet Hesiod:
"Nine days. As she fell, Annabeth thought about Hesiod, the old Greek poet who'd speculated it would take nine days to fall from earth to Tartarus. She hoped Hesiod was wrong. She'd lost track of how long she and Percy had been falling - hours? A day?"

2. There's no reason to assume that the shoes fell that distance in that time as they were went in a completely different entrance that was in the underworld, not on earth. Even if you factor the distance to Hades given in SoN, we don't know how deep it goes or if section of Tartarus is even that deep.

3. There's no reason to assume that Kronos reacted to the shoe's themselves travelling that distance as he was in a scattered form that did not reside in a particular place that was capable of sensing beings on the mortal world.

4. The shoes had never shown comparable speeds before in any of the several fights they were used in the book prior. The value calc'ed would be an outlier on principle of it being orders of magnitudes faster than its best feat.

The fact that Percy and Annabeth were able to keep up with them on foot should be enough to debunk the calc.

As for Riordan being inconsistent, the lighting reaction feats aren't even outliers considering all have in universe explanations.

Percy fails to react to lightning more than once and Jason never explicitly reacted to lightning.

The feat used to give most of the verse "Massively Hypersonic" speeds never mentions Jason reacting to the lightning:

"The second spirit let loose a bolt of lightning, but Jason's blade absorbed the charge."

The fact that Jason was subconsciously using his powers to direct attacks away from himself even with amnesia and that he can control lightning already alone casts enough doubt on the feat as it is, but the fact that Percy couldn't react to lightning from further away when there was a clear wind-up on the attack back in TTC and still couldn't react to it again in his fight with Jason later on (who is evenly matched with Percy in terms of reaction speed) debunks the calc outright.

I should also note the distances mentioned in the calc of 21 meters is also bogus as the 2 Venti attacking Jason charged him at the same time, the first of which he cut with his sword, the second being the one who then launched lightning at him, meaning the distance was closer to 5 meters than 20.
1. Yeah I agree with this, I thought I was missing something on the Herme's feat so I just kind of accepted it
2. Yeah then I agree. Subsonic Demigod reactions then?

Edit: Could you post this in the CRT, or can I copy and paste it there, because it is important.

Back