• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Pokemon General Discussion Thread Gen II: Gen II Starter Mega Evolution When!?

The real cal howard said:
They're complaining because every fire starter has been bipedal. Also Meganium was hated. But there's a couple things Meganium had going for it. One, it wasn't that bad in the second generation, being borderline. Two...

MURRRSTAKE!
Typlosion isnt exactly 100% bipedal, tho.

@Every

>Empoleon is worse

>Basically a Napoleon as Emperor Penguin with badass wing blade and have a prideful arrogant personality like Gilgamesh

>Gen V is bland

>Say that to the samurai sea-lion like Daimyo and majestic vine-snake and more fiercing Zu Bajie

>Gen VI "hurr durr Greninja is the best the other sucks and ugly"

And here is why i hate this kind of comment.

I'm not stating this as objective facts I'm just saying what I feel are the best and giving my reason why its so from my perspective, I do not think that there is zero reaosn's to like the ones I don't like and that the other fans are wrong its just those reasons don't appeal to me so I only them as worse than the ones I like, I'm pretty sure you have similar opinions about starters and other Pokemon I don't like and don't see the positives I see and I will respect that.

Veloxt1r0kore said:
@Every

>Empoleon is worse

>Basically a Napoleon as Emperor Penguin with badass wing blade and have a prideful arrogant personality like Gilgamesh

>Gen V is bland

>Say that to the samurai sea-lion like Daimyo and majestic vine-snake and more fiercing Zu Bajie

>Gen VI "hurr durr Greninja is the best the other sucks and ugly"

And here is why i hate this kind of comment.
The guy can have an opinion, can he?

Its better than going around censoring people. Or trying to mock them.

See, even though it's you opinion...I will criticize it...You've judged them to be bland without really giving a reason why they are bland.

Gen V:

How are these that bland?

Serperior: A serpent who is based upon multiple types of snakes. However, the biggest part of him is that he is based off of french royalty with various elements of his design being nods to different aspect of french royalty. Not only that, he has a solid design that fits his basis and his personality.

Emboar: Bland? You realize Emboar is based upon the same story as Infernape correct? i.e Journey to the West. Not to mention the nods to british saddlebacks and wrestling. And he is also based off of the soldier from Romance of the 3 Kingdoms. Also, his basis sits around Chinese Royalty/Authority.

Samurott: Literal Samurai Otter...how is this bland? By far one of the most creative and orignal things in Pokemon. Not to mention his tail is based upon a Japanese War Fan and him overall representing Japanese Royalty/Authority, in this context, a shogun.

Gen V's designs are far from bland and have a lot of thought put into them as a whole and each represents the theme of Royalty with representing French, Chinese and Japanese royalty/authority altogether.

I mean, yeah, everyone can have an opinion. But an opinion can be criticized and argued. Especially when said opinion does not explain the reasons behind it.

Alright you want to know my opinion about starters? Okay let me show it.

Gen I pretty much okay since they are just a monster with interesting aspect, Gen II same with Gen I while Feraligatr is the most greatest one, Gen III oh boi how much i love this starter, Sceptile is really memorable, Blaziken is awesome, Swampert kinda okay but funny, Gen IV awesome just like Gen III, Infernape is memorable thanks of his berserk, Empoleon because how can you deny his cool concept being sort of as Napoleon? Torterra is cool as concept of World Turtle, Gen V pretty good, Serperior is majestic, Emboar while kinda awkward being based of Zu Bajie make me like him, Samurott how the hell you disliking this sea-lion samurai? Gen VI oh boi.....this is gonna be long, Greninja i like him but since how many fans praise him too much he's pretty much make my likeness decreased, still like him, Chestnaught is okay, he's remind me as Sandy middle age from spongebob which i like, Delphox my god.....i really love her, poor creature get so much hate and other non sense, "ugly" "sucks" etc etra BAH!! YOU JUST BLIND HATE HER, Gen VII pretty much love all of them.

Conclusion i really like them or even love them.

The reason why i hate that kind of comment is because its repetitve, this kind of comment already said over and over and over which becoming kind of annoying. I have no issue with Greninja being the best until you say "the other suck and ugly", sucka what?

I know these are the concepts that these were created with yes, but in my opinion their designs don't particularly display these traits very well in my eyes and thus all I see are three very bland designs. Though saying that I must correct myself and say that I do see the concept being shown by Samurott and Emboar but not enough to make them seem intersting to me, especially with how far Samurott deviates from the design of its previous two evolutions, which I have to state is one of the problems I have with Incineroar.

I disagree.

Samurott's various design elements fits within what they were going for and each are very clear. Yeah, he's a drastic change from the other two, but I don't see how that makes his design less interesting when his design is something that would be judged on it's own. Same with Emboar and Serperior, how exactly are these "bland"? You have not explained or supported this. Incineroar doesn't deviate from the previous forms other than going on 2 legs. Torracat clearly shows phyical similarities to Incineroar from the bulky arms and smaller hind legs. Not to mention that as a whole their visual design and theme had not shifted.

Also Pachi my buddy, just because he can have its opinion doesn't mean it free from criticism which most of criticism are harsh.

@Dragon

What do you think about Gen VI starters?

DragonEmperor23 said:
This is my list
Its amazing how rare it is to see a list of the favourite base form of the starters and I'm pretty sure I've never seen a list of the middle evolutions.

Gen 1: Squirtle, Charmeleon, Charizard

Gen 2: Totodile, Quiliava, Typhlosion

Gen 3: Torchick, Grovyle, Sceptile

Gen 4: All three, Monferno, Infernape

Gen 5: Oshawott, Dewott, Samurott

Gen 6: Froakie, Frogadier, Geninja

Gen 7: Rowlett, Torracat, Decidueye

And asking why I see the designs as uninteresting or different to previous evolutions, because thats just what I see, you may notice similarity or things you like in them that I just don't see when I look at them, its just a matter of perspective and what interests me being different from what interest you.

Its not because how you see it, its because how you write it. Bland, uninteresting, sucks, ugly, etc makes your opinion get criticized in good or harsh.

@Dragon

Uuuuh, i mentioning @Dragonmasterxyz not you lel, but i see, i like them all tho Froakie and Fennekin are more cooler.

Veloxt1r0kore said:
Its not because how you see it, its because how you write it. Bland, uninteresting, sucks, ugly, etc makes your opinion get criticized in good or harsh.
That's just how I see them if you take it as harsh them I apologise, but in the in end in my eyes and according to my taste that is what I think of them sugarcoating it with softer words would just be lying and not stating my true opinions, and I don't take any offence to your criticism I just felt you were brushing my opinion aside as wrong at the beginning as if I was stating them as facts, and I must apologise for looking back I might have got slightly more upset over your words than I should have and perhaps ignored your own criticisms as valid opinions and I apologise for that.

My opinions on starters each generation:

Gen 1: Bulbasaur line. Cool in competitive without relying on megas (mainly gen 5), cooler designs than the squirtle line and not nearly as oversaturated as the Charizard line. Not to say the others were bad, naturally.

Gen 2: Wasn't a big fan of any of these 3 in all honesty. Toss up between Typhlosion and Feraligatr. I tried using Chikorita on a Heart Gold playthrough and Meganium was underwhelming; it didn't give off that 'strong lead of the team' feeling a starter should.

Gen 3: All 3 were great, I'll have to go with the team player Swampert. Not much to say as I love all three lines, though nostalgia may be a factor cause Ruby was my first Pokemon game.

Gen 4: Again, I felt all 3 were solid. Really could go any way, with Infernape being the coolest but Torterra just being really fun to use in-game. All 3 had unique typings as well, bar Infernape who shares theirs with just one other starter line. Still, for originality's sake, probably Torterra.

Gen 5: They were aight. Snivy's line had the coolest designs but was really underwhelming in-game (competitive is a whole other story), Emboar had a meh design and reused typing but was an absolute powerhouse. I much prefer Dewott's design over the generic bulky-ish water type that was Samurott, but the inspiration was cool. Probably Snivy's line overall?

Gen 6: Gonna be honest, didn't like Chespin's line too much. They just felt too... goofy? Idk how to describe it. Froakie's line is super cool design wise, loved Greninja in the anime but also got oversaturated + Greninja is an absolute pai in competitive. Delphox reminds me a lot of Ninetales, but the design's still cool. I'll probably go with firefox.

Gen 7: Rowlet. The grass owl had me on their team on the first reveal trailer, and Decidueye is probably one of my favourite starters in the whole series. Dartrix was neat too, but Torracat was a cooler second evo imo. Popplio's decent too.

Mystery Dungeon: Obviously not gonna go through every choice, but Riolu was my favourite leader and Vulpix was probably my favourite partner,

Well i agree that Charizard and Greninja are overrated which is annoying. Chespin is the one derpy of Pokemons which is kind of funny to me.

While its true Charizard and Greninja are very oversaturated they didn't become like that for no reason, if their designs weren't so cool and didn't appeal to so many people they wouldn't have become so oversaturated to begin with, though I do agree my opinions of Greninja and Charizard have definitely gone down because of how oversaturated they are, especially with Mega Charizard X & Y and Ash-Greninja, but they are still so cool that even with that I can't rate them anything other than some of my favourite Pokemon, not just starter, designs.

I wonder if they made other Dragon or Ninja Pokemon if they would be as well liked as them, because alot of their love probably comes from the innate coolness of Dragons and NInjas.

Though if you like you prefer any other type of design over cool ones you probably won't like them so much considering that's mostly all they got going for them.

I didn't find Charizard that cool. The idea of a fire breathing dragon is a tad generic, and I find most actual dragon types to have cooler looking designs. I feel like even if Charizard wasn't Ash's most popular Pokemon, and didn't have 2 megas, and didn't appear in the smash roster... then I'd still prefer Venusaur. None of this is to say I dislike Charizard, again, but I also don't love him as much as a decent chunk of the fanbase.

Greninja has a super cool design though, I'll confess

" Though if you like you prefer any other type of design over cool ones you probably won't like them so much considering that's mostly all they got going for them. "

This is the sad part but true, because if you look a pokemon who really cool you got blind on it and ignoring the other and start to despising them which is suck.

" I wonder if they made other Dragon or Ninja Pokemon if they would be as well liked as them, because alot of their love probably comes from the innate coolness of Dragons and NInjas."

I have a interesting idea, a new Dragon Pokemon with Dragon/Fighting type inspired by some like Metal Gear and Sigurd/Siegfried, in easy way imagine Sigurd but now as dragon.

Ninja Pokemon so far is dull, but still got one, a puppet-doll like Ninja Pokemon.

How would you describe Gardevoir, Delphox, and Primarina's designs, they are not in my opinion cool, their definitely not goofy, and their not cute like their previous evolutions, their too mature looking for that, their obvious feminine traits and mature look make me think that if they were in a franchise that wasn't for kids they would be the older sexy woman, like Nine from Blazblue or Minamoto from Fate, but obviously Game Freak didn't design them that way, so what would you consider them like would it be mature or womanly, I understand what they were going for but its hard to describe as easily as cool, cute, or goofy.

That part hmmm....let's see....alright this kinda odd but the developer caring their furry fans, this is kind of speculation but you can't deny pokemon from other gen to gen are become...."attractive", "appealing", and too "majestic" looking. Like heck in gen 1 we have Machamp who can be considered furry, and then in gen 3 we have Blaziken and Gardevoir, and afterwards there is more.....Alright i stop now lel

Describe Gard, Delphy, and Primarina is simple......"majestic"

majestic would work especially when I think of the Siren/Mermaid Opera singer design of Primaria and the elegant gown of Gardevoir, though when I think of Delphox I don't see it elegant like a mermaid/opera singer but more as mature, though not old, wise witch like the previously mentioned Nine from Blazblue or Medea from Fate

>Medea

>Wise Witch

Brah did you get D+ on your history class? :v

JK but well Delphox is can be considered as........milf.

I can't deny that :v

Also i wish the ghost girl (Heix Maniac) on X/Y will be get brought more since she's so interesting to be abandoned.

I am kinda late now, but i will give my opinion on the starters.

Gen 1: The Bulbasaur line is my favorite line out of the three, this might be due to i picking him in FR, and i remember having so much fun with him, their design are so good, the Dinosaur feeling strikes me when i look into them, and i really like the flower on his back growing as it evolves, Red Saur can be a reason to why i like he so much to. I don't really like Charmander's line, ironiccally, because of the anime. We just see his Charmander going from a nice guy to a brat that didn't obeyed Ash, and that pissed me off at the time, since Ash and his friends saved Charmander, and he also maked Ash loses his first League, wich also pissed me off back in the day, while, yeah he get better over time, the damage was already done for me. Squirtle is alright, i've never have grown to love him, but i didn't hate it, i liked Wartortle more out of the three stages, and i kinda see some fun with him in FR due to not needing to catch a water pokémon with a rod to use Surf, though i always prefered Bulbasaur.

Gen 2: Problaby my least favorite out of all of them. While the Cyndaquill line have some nice desing choices, his desing was just to boring to me, though i loved Ash's Cyndaquill in the anime, i didn't really like him in the games, though he is my favorite out of the three. I just hate Meganium, her desing is even more bland, with only a Flower and an all Green body, and for me, a huge stap down from Bayleef's desing, and she is also really bad in general, in competitive and the games. I considered she the Hard mode, due to having so much trouble in the first Gyms due to the typing, wich maked me hate it even more. Totodile is alright, the desings really grown on me, problaby just because he is an Alligator, but he is, for me, the best one on this gen just because of the desing.

Gen 3: I really love this Gen, with Ruby being my first entry on the series of the games. Treecko's line is so good in desing for me, and the anime really maked Sceptile grown on me, and overall, i don't dislike nothing on their desing, he is just so cool for me. Blasiken is alright for me, but a good alright, i don't really like Torchic's desing but Combusken maked better for me, though after seeing with more open eyes, i don't know if i can see it the way i see it before, Blaziken is also cool for me, a really strong desing, his signature move and his fighting style that i imagined back in the day maked me remember of Sanji, so that is a plus. However, nobody can beat Swampert, he is my favorite starter so far, Mudkip is so cute and adorable for me, i also really like Marshtomp, though people say he is bland or derpy, and i can see that, and he being my least favorite Second-Stage of the three, i don't find it awful, however Swampert is different, even when i was little, i finded he so cool, and the typing and usage in Ruby really leaved a good mark on me, i am problaby being biased on him, but i don't care.

Gen 4: I liked to. Turtwig's line, while kinda bland on the beggining, is complemented by Torterra, my favorite Final Stage on this gen, i really love him and his desing, also, Paul's Torterra was also one of the reasons that i liked him, that mon was just so powerfull that bugged my mind that he didn't use against Ash in the Sinnoh League. Piplup is alright, though i don't like his first two stages, Empoleon is a great mon overall, with a good desing that just screams Royalty for me. Infernape is really good on all of his stages, and the anime also was one of the reasons that i liked he so much, his battle against Paul's Electivire was insane at the time for me, and he getting the win against him was so good to watch for me.

Gen 5: Kinda meh for me. Oshawott and Dewott have really good desings and cool concepts, then there is Samurott that it is just disappointing for me, i just seed so much potential for a samurai-like or just a cool Pokémon with a sword, but nope, he needed that break all of my expectations. Tepig is alright, he is cute as hell, but Pignite is... strange, i don't dislike him, but there is nothing to say that i liked him, however, Emboar is cool for me, and look at his shiny, it is so majestic. Serperior is a solid line, good on all three, but nothing that amazes me.

Gen 6: All the First stages are cool, nothing to complain there, the second stages are good, except for Quilladin, he goes from a nice Chespin to a fat one, Braixen is my favorite Second Stage here, she is just so cute plus, a good waifu overall, however, the Final Stages kinda sucked, except for Greninja, Delphox never grewn on me due to be such a stepdown for an amazing mon, Chesnaught is better than Quilladin, but still, not good enough to reverse what Quilladin did.

Gen 7: Rowlet's line is cool, Rowlet is cute, Decidueye has an awesome desing and Dartrix is kinda there, it also never grewn on me. Litten and Torrarcat are the best First Stage and Second Stage respectively, Incineroar is alright, however, i don't like him all that much. Popplio is bland for me, butr Brionne deserves to be killed with fire, that thing is ugly as hell, the worst Second Stage mon so far, and it better stay this way, Primarina is nice though, i can see some beauty there, and she seems like a good mon to use overall

uhh 1. Bulbasaur

2. Cyndaquill

3. Treecko

4. Turtwig

5. Snivy

6. Froakie

7. Litten

So yeah long live plant types and water type gets yeet'd hard

Back