• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Pokemon Lifting Strength

The_real_cal_howard

Read my comic
VS Battles
Retired
Intro

This is something that crossed my mind. It's not major at all, and if it's stupid, or even if it's too much work, I have no problem disregarding this.

You think it's possible to scale Pokemon's Lifting Strength via their Pokeathlon stats? Given lifting strength isn't as important as striking strength, and these aren't the same stats as in-game, behind-the-scenes states, and for example, Pokemon with a jump rating of 1 star can't jump at all, and the only Pokemon with that qualification is Diglett, who can't jump for obvious reasons.

Here's how I'd see it:

• 3 stars: Likely at most Class 100 via scaling to Charizard
  • 1-2 stars: Likely Class 5 via scaling to Pokemon that can learn Strength, like Ledian (if they already can learn Strength, then no need for the "likely")
Cons
Given that I didn't really think this 100% through, and it's likely a stupid idea, there's quite a few of them. I may be digging my own grave (for lack of a better term, because I don't really care about this myself) by even including this section, and I should probably just close this tab without saving to save face, but I still feel like this possibility would be nice to bring up, and that the con section helps a ton.

• Why would this apply to Lifting Strength only and not Striking Strength? If anything, the Pokeathlon has more games where the Power stat has to do with the latter than the former.
  • Pokemon have stats in this that don't relate to our ratings. Marill has 4/5 stars. Are you telling me that Marill can lift as much as Swampert?
This is one that I have an answer to potentially, in that things that don't make sense, such as that, get disregarded.

• Even if we did accept this, it falls apart when we reach Unova, as the Pokeathlon only exists in Gen IV, so it can only rate Pokemon from Bulbasaur to Arceus.
  • Speaking of Arceus, he loses stars when he equips plates. Not to mention that some versions of Arceus would have lower lifting strength than Ryperior.
Another one I have an answer to. Legendaries are exempt.

• Alakazam can't even lift itself without psychic powers. Why would he have Class 5 lifting strength?
  • If we did this for Lifting Strength, we'd have to do this for speed, and you don't wanna go there, Cal... To put things into perspective, Poliwrath has 1 of 2 stars for speed...

Alternatively, Pokemon that we know for certain can lift a lot, like Slaking, Typhlosion, or Snorlax, if we aren't completely sure how much, we can check the Pokeathlon to see if it would have Class 100 or Class M lifting strength. In layman's terms, use it as a last resort.

I'm not sure about this. This seems very similar to using in-game stats (such as ATK, SP DEF, or SPD) to try to scale the other stats, which, as has been agreed upon and stated several times, is not something we're gonna do on VSBW.

I'm surprised, though, 'cause I'd assume there would be better lifting strength feats in the anime and manga for several Pokemon (if not in the dex itself), which we could use scaling to fill the gaps. Such as Charizard lifting Golem at the League, or Snorlax casually towing around a bunch of pokemon in the middle of a storm in that one short before the first (?) movie.

All in all, I think the Pokeathlon stats have the same exact issue that the normal stats do, meaning that they should also be disregarded.

This being said, I'm skeptical of the Charizard Class 100 rating, especially since it's not linked to the calc anymore. I seem to remember it being based on his stopping some tank-mech hybrid Team Rocket made, but I don't remember it being quite large enough to warrant Class 100. Though, it's been quite some time since I've seen the anime, so I could be mistaken on that.

Back