• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Possible Speed Upgrade for One Punch Man

As you know, the speed for Saitama being Sub-Relativistic is based on this calc , which scales to Boros, Garou, and possibly Lightspeed Flash.

However, as Crazystarf pointed out here, Chaos assumes a timeframe of 30 seconds by pure assumption, as he used the manga version which had no timeframe mentioned.

EDIT 1: Crazystarf was referring to Boros kneeing Saitama, not Saitama leaping from Moon to Earth. My apologies for the confusion, everyone.

However, with the anime version, we have a timeframe. In this video , from 0:35 to 0:54 is how long it takes for Saitama to leap from the Moon and back to Earth. Which is 19 seconds. With a really lazy calc, the distance from the Moon to Earth is around 384,440,000 m, divide it by 19 seconds we get:

EDIT 2: Used 384,440,000m instead as that is the actual distance from the Moon to Earth.

384,440,000m /19s = 20,233,684.21 m/s or 0.067c in our Speed chart, which is Sub-Relativistic+.

Or we can use Boros kneeing Saitama to the Moon.

In this video , from 0:14 to 0:17 is how long it took for Saitama to reach the Moon after Boros launched him. 3 seconds.

And with another lazy calc, we get:

384,440,000m / 3s = 128,146,666.7 m/s or 0.427c, which would be Relativistic.

A much higher rating than the first, as you can see.

This will apply only to Saitama (he did the feat), Boros and Garou (kept up with Saitama), and MAYBE Lightspeed Flash (kept up with Garou for a short amount of time).

What do you guys think? Should we use these calcs? And if so, which one and why?

Ehh I've tried to make the case for Naruto when Madara used light fang in the anime. I was told manga > anime unless we're talking DBS; which is the only acception due to DBS being the main canon and the manga being secondary.

We use all the sources (webcomic, manga, and anime) for OPM IIRC due to ONE and Murata's involvement in all of them (Murata for just the manga and anime though, as ONE wrote the webcomic on his own).

I also think light fang was banned due to it not being lightspeed as it was described as.

Light fang was banned because of the data book description iirc. I've always made the case that when Sage chakra is used to amp jutsu, they become their true element and not simply the chakra version. And in regard to light fang I was like "it's a laser and naruto dodged left hence why madara moved his head". But that was just a theory; in the manga panel kishi simply didn't show what I interpreted. Still, I didn't know all sources were allowed for OPM so I have no idea how to respond.

Blahblah9755 said:
Wasn't this discussed before and it was decided we couldn't do it since it involved cinematic timing?
Yup pretty sure it was, it used cinematic timing so the manga has to be used.

Link to thread.

Also the moment I was Azzy about was the not the part where Saitama flies back to Earth (Boros' monologue in regards to that moment violates one of the rules)

It was the moment where Boros knees Saitama, and he flies to the Moon in 3 seconds flat. If this feat is accepted, this will multiply Saitama's speed by 10x from where it was before.

@Crazystarf

Is that so? Sorry for the mix up. Though this is the closest thing we have for a time frame for Saitama's leap, and given it was only a few seconds before he landed on Earth, this doesn't seem to unrealistic to use.

Also, does sending someone to the Moon = Said character (Boros) can move at the same speed?

A baseball player can throw a ball at 104.8 mph, which is the fastest a person has thrown. Can said person move that fast? Nope.

A soccer player can kick a ball as fast as 132 mph , obviously a person can't move that fast.

Well, we have new rules for Cinematic Time, so we might be able to use this, given that we essentially use composite profiles for the OPM characters.

You can ask Azathoth to give input here if you wish.

@Marvel: The issue here is that instead of throwing a ball, Boros actually kicked/kneed Saitama, causing Saitama to fly to the Moon in 3 seconds.

The soccer player and the ball example is possible because the soccer ball:

• Weighs much less than the player.
  • The force of the soccer player's kick was transferred directly into the ball, giving the ball the equivalent KE as the soccer player's kick.
For example, if you are able to kick an object similar to your weight (a heavy bag for example weights 200lbs) and make it move 30m/s, you should be at least be able to be 30m/s, or even faster via conservation of momentum.

@Crazystarf

Hm, I see. Though does anyone know if Saitama's weight is comparable to that of Boros, as:

-He's taller and bigger than Saitama

-We can't really assume he weighs as the same as an average human, seeing as he's an alien and can possibly be heavier or even lighter than Saitama by an unknown degree.

• If Boros is lighter than Saitama by an unknown degree, this means that Boros would have to move even faster to make Saitama move that fast towards the Moon.
  • If Boros is heavier than Saitama (by an unknown degree), he would probably be moving at comparable speed compared to Saitama being flown to the Moon. Then you also have to factor in the force of gravity that needs to be overcome in order for Saitama to escape Earth's horizon.
But I'm sure that judging from the feats shown in the vid both Boros and Saitama are much faster than Sub-Relativistic+ anyways, considering that Saitama flew from the Earth to the Moon in probably 3 seconds FLAT.

Well, if we go by this, this will make them around:

380,000,000m / 3s = 126,666,666.7 m/s or 0.42c, which would be Relativistic.

Yep, definitely a huge improvement, as I would love for this to be accepted. But I want to hear what others think first to see which one's more acceptable. If that's okay with you.

I personally have no probelm with use of the 19 second timeframe, as the difference is far from unrealistic and it gives us something to work with, though we'll see what others think.

Okay then. Perhaps you should ask some calculation group members to give input here as well?

Just as a clarification, the distance of the Moon is 384400km. This provides a minor boost compared to 380000km.

Also, the 19-second timeframe has a couple of seconds show a monologue of Boros possibly violates this rule here in regards to cinematic timing.

If during a cut a change of scenery occurred and the character wasn't depicted travelling before, or if obviously a part of the travel between two points is left out, it should not be assumed that the time was depicted linearly, hence cinematic time shouldn't be used in such cases.

A baseball player can throw a ball at 104.8 mph, which is the fastest a person has thrown. Can said person move that fast? Nope.

Actually AFAIK their fingertips are flicked at 104.8 mph. This is why a very large mass can't accelerate something to supersonic speed while the large mass is only moving at 1 m/s.

Anyway, if people are okay with the timeframes then yeah this is fine. It's just a speed calc.

@Crazystarf

Noted and will make appropriate changes. Though I saw that and considered it, but I think it's not that off in terms of timeframe, as it took a short amount of time for Saitama to reach Earth from the Moon, 19 seconds isn't that unrealistic in terms of time imo.

I agree with the 19 seconds time frame ,i don't agree with the usage of the conservation of momentum.It's much like using kinetic energy to find speed.

Just a heads up.

@Marvel: Do you mind removing my suggestion on my point regarding the conversion of momentum? That is an unrelated example.

My main point here is that Saitama flew from the Earth to the Moon in 3 seconds via the sequence of events shown. The scene where Saitama flies from the Moon to the Earth cuts to a scene where Boros makes a monologue to himself.

Are you sure Saitama was actually flying back to Earth when Boros was making that monologue?

@Crazy

Sure, no problem. Though I don't see why this was unrelated considering that's the reason you consider Boros kneeing Saitama can count as a speed feat.

I believe so considering I used the moment Saitama leaps to the point where he landed in the video. If you say they are much faster, then I see no problem using 19 seconds at least with the chance it could have been shorter. Using the second example would bring out some confusion as it might not be an actual speed feat unlike the first. Not to mention several calc members are alright with it so I don't see why not.

I don't agree with conservation of momentum being applied to speed, as a general rule.

Since our profiles are composite, as opposed to OBD, I am fine with the 19s interval.

Okay, we got three calc group members and two other staff members agreeing with the upgrade to Sub-Rel+.

Can we upgrade the appropriate characters now or should we wait for more input?

Well, our standard praxis is to always post a blog that can be linked to for any calculation-based upgrades. Content revision threads are not acceptable for this purpose.

Once you have done so, it should be okay to go ahead with the upgrade, given that a sufficient number of staff members, including calc griup members, seem to agree.

You will need to write the entire calculation process within the blog post. The current format is not acceptable.

Back