• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Possibly some bad DC Comics news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also DC: STOP FOCUSING ON BATMAN. Epic as the character is, we don't need like 8 ******* titles for Batman, and it's getting boring seeing the same rogue gallery over and over again. They don't even hide their favoritisim, seeing as how DC acknowledged Batman before freaking Superman on their social media pages.

UsernameMan12 said:
Don't hire hacks to direct your most famous characters.
I agree. Despite what many fanboys on the internet claim, Zack Snyder is not some misunderstood genius ahead of its time. Yes, it's not entirely his fault. WB is just as bad, if not worse, but let's not pretend that Snyder was some A-List director before he signed onto MoS.

This thread seems to be derailing and start to turn toxic. Should it be closed?

Yeah, I thought the thread was supposed to be about comic books, but it sounds like some people were overreacting and some people started talking more about movies than they have comics. Since the thread turned chaotic, I suppose closing it is in order.

LordUrien935 said:
I'm wondering why no one else is talking about it. I'm not seeing any mention of this in the DC subreddit, DC forums, the DC Universe blogs, or even social media sites like Instagram and Facebook.
Probably two main reasons:

A: Most comicbook fans likely don't read Forbes.

B: I have been told that those communities tend to be heavily moderated by very censorship-happy people, who naturally have Silicon Valley's full support, and they don't want any mentions of that overly "woke", radicalised, and poorly written political propaganda systematically crammed down people's throats turns away most of the readers, who just want to relax with well-crafted entertainmemt.

He's honestly more of a visionary Cinematographer in the body of a mediocre director. Like man's movies are beautiful but he isn't good at actual arcs and emotional direction.

So while the Snyder Cut has neat elements it probably would have been a mess.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
Yeah, I thought the thread was supposed to be about comic books, but it sounds like some people were overreacting and some people started talking more about movies than they have comics. Since the thread turned chaotic, I suppose closing it is in order.
DC's movie failures also affect them dude. But we can get back on topic, sorry if I derailed the thread.

I have part of the blame for not being able to gauge what is or isn't appropriate to say as well. I have gradually grown frustrated by the state of the western comicbook creator community, so when something like this happens it triggers me.

If other staff members think that this thread should be closed (again partially because of me, so I am not blaming anybody), I am fine with it.

On second thought, freedom of speech is great as long as it doesn't go overboard. Perhaps not bad enough to be closed and the criticisms aren't legit. But we should definitely avoid directly insulting any actors or writers; especially not any actors as they're only doing what they're told to do. Criticising writers is fine, but going overboard with the name callings among other things is not okay.

Standuser081 said:
I don't really think anybody was insulting any actors here. And imo Henry Cavill makes a pretty good Superman, the problem is he got stuck in very mediocre movies.
Most people are saying that his Clark Kent was bad. I mean in MoS his Clark kent was really good. Brandon Routh's Clark Kent was well balanced, Cavill's Clark Kent was humanized and had proper arc. I don't want to hate but Reeves Clark Kent seemed like too cartoonish for my liking.

I hope this doesn't happen as that means all we are left with is a sea of average to mediocre movies and tv shows with one or two exceptions every so often. Comics have the greatest potential for storytelling and they don't know it. Come on DC better bounce back from this, there's always a way

I doubt it would ever shut down given the iconic status of the franchise as mentioned above. But the worst that could happen is if they sell it to another company; which could be better or worse.

oh man....well that sucks. DC is arguably one of the best comic book industries out there and they're gonna shut it down possibly??? Bunch of poopy doody heads

Lol..... I can't believe I wrote so much without even reading the article. This is all the guesses nothing concrete.

Doomrider7 said:
I only a few comics from Tapas like Gamercat and Erma while Webtoons has stuff like Hooky and Space Boy, both of which DESPERATELY DESERVE some good studios to animate. Hiveworks has a LOT of great stuff as well especially by names like Foglio's Girl Genius or stuff like Namesake.
On Tapas I reccomend Planes of the Multiverse; a Magic: the Gathering fan-comic done by the honestly amazing artist Isharton.

On Hiveworks I reccomend Paranatural, a ghostbusters-meets-Xmen-meets-middleschool comedy, although recently it's been pretty stagnant with the plot.

I'll check out your mentions, sounds interesting.

I don't follow any original webcomics except for "Girl Genius", but that one is great.

Dargoo Faust said:
Doomrider7 said:
I only a few comics from Tapas like Gamercat and Erma while Webtoons has stuff like Hooky and Space Boy, both of which DESPERATELY DESERVE some good studios to animate. Hiveworks has a LOT of great stuff as well especially by names like Foglio's Girl Genius or stuff like Namesake.
On Tapas I reccomend Planes of the Multiverse; a Magic: the Gathering fan-comic done by the honestly amazing artist Isharton.
On Hiveworks I reccomend Paranatural, a ghostbusters-meets-Xmen-meets-middleschool comedy, although recently it's been pretty stagnant with the plot.

I'll check out your mentions, sounds interesting.
I know that one. I have so much stuff on hold that I legit love sites like Hiveworks, Tapas, and Webtoons to keep track of them all. Shoot me a friend request on Discord, names the same as here "doomrider7#1818". Also, check out Space Boy, Hooky, and Oddity Woods.

Antvasima said:
I don't follow any original webcomics except for "Girl Genius", but that one is great.
I consider that to be one of if not the best web comic I am currently aware of though there are lots of other excellent contenders.

Antvasima said:
Manga creators are mostly allowed to freely think, evaluate, and express themselves in more unique & creative manners, rather than stick to mass-produced narrowminded preset settings and ideology.
Not true.

The manga industry is suffering from something called "the masala formula problem" which Bollywood and Sandalwood are currently suffering through.

What is happening is that editors and businessmen are essentially asking writers to stick to certain formulas and emulate other works. Writers who don't do so get sidelined and their works get cancelled despite being of good quality.

The mangaka life is apparently a shitty one from what I've heard, tho I don't accurately remember all the details

Andytrenom said:
The mangaka life is apparently a shitty one from what I've heard, tho I don't accurately remember all the details
It is indeed very shitty. Terrible work schedules and douchebag editors telling one how to write their work...

I think what DC, and Warner by default, is to stop focusing on characters like Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman.

They have an infinite multiverse full of unique stories and arcs that can be made and told, hell they teased a new Spectre comic back in 2018 and I'd be fine with that

Kinda reminds me of the rumor for the Cell Saga where almost every choice Toriyama made was either vetoed or discouraged by his editor so he had to change the villain like 4 times just to satisfy them.

Manga creators certainly don't have much "freedom" as people like to pretend. Even the original DB I heard really didn't get much traction til the Tournament arc, and that's why almost every Shonen series has a forced Tournament arc to appease fans, or to get a series more publicity. Manga are merchandising machines and are often treated as such.

@Soldier Blue: Also, from what I get, the Manga market is competitive to an absolutely insane degree due to the sheer amount of work that is circulating and authors charging in. At any moment you can get told you have a couple of weeks to wrap up your story somehow because you got canned, due to disappointing in some way.

Everything else you say is true. Though I wasn't familiar with the name "masala"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back