• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Potterverse Tier and Speed revision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has been revealed by JK Rowling that the Accio spell accelerates things to "close to the speed of light". (Type STRG + F and then "speed of light".) This changes many things. The most obvious thing it changes is that it upgrades Harry Potter wizards reaction speed to Relativistic+, since there have been feats of people dodging things accelerated by Accio.

"Accio brooms!" Harry heard a loud crash somewhere in the distance. Looking to his left, he ducked just in time. ~ Order of the Phoenix

Note: The "loud crash" is very likely a sonic boom, further fortifying the idea that the brooms are Relativistic+. Harry could dodge multiple objects flying at him with speed close to that of light. He thus has Relativistic+ reaction speed, which can be scaled to most top tier wizards.

But that's not all!

There is a feat of Flitwick tanking objects accelerated by Accio, and according to my calc, it gives him 7-B durability. Since Flitwick isn't even close to top tiers like Dumbly or Voldy, it is to be assumed that those have even higher durability; maybe high 7-B or even 7-C.

TL;DR: Most Harry Potter verse characters should be upgraded to 7-B with Relativistic+ speed.

Also, I'd like to hear constructive critisism on my calc. It's the first one I did. :)

This has been brought up a few times before, and Rowling's WoG in this instance is clearly contradicted by both the movies and the books. For example, in the same interview she says this upon being asked why Newt didn't use Accio to get his creatures back on the Fantastic Beasts movie:

'Accio' only works on inanimate objects. While people or creatures may be indirectly moved by 'Accio-ing' objects that they are wearing or holding, this carries all kinds of risks because of the likelihood of injury to the person or beast attached to an object travelling at close to the speed of light.

Which is objectively false, as Matt pointed out in this thread, living beings have been Accioed before without issue:

Harry pointed his wand at the bullfrog that had been hopping hopefully toward the other side of the table — "Accio!"— and it zoomed gloomily back into his hand.

In the book when using Accio to call his Firebolt in the first task of the tournament Harry hears it coming and has enough time to turn around and watch it arrive next to him, so it doesn't even move faster than sound.

LazyHunter said:
This has been brought up a few times before, and Rowling's WoG in this instance is clearly contradicted by both the movies and the books. For example, in the same interview she says this upon being asked why Newt didn't use Accio to get his creatures back on the Fantastic Beasts movie:
'Accio' only works on inanimate objects. While people or creatures may be indirectly moved by 'Accio-ing' objects that they are wearing or holding, this carries all kinds of risks because of the likelihood of injury to the person or beast attached to an object travelling at close to the speed of light.

Which is objectively false, as Matt pointed out in this thread, living beings have been Accioed before without issue:

Harry pointed his wand at the bullfrog that had been hopping hopefully toward the other side of the table — "Accio!"— and it zoomed gloomily back into his hand.

In the book when using Accio to call his Firebolt in the first task of the tournament Harry hears it coming and has enough time to turn around and watch it arrive next to him, so it doesn't even move faster than sound.
Well, just because one statement by the author is contradicted by the actual work doesn't mean that the other one is false. Furthermore, the bullfrog - as far as I can recall - was an object transformed into an animal and is thus arguably not alive and the Fantastic Beast movies don't take place in the book canon anyway. Your point of asking Harry can hear something travelling faster than sound is correct, except we don't ask that question about why people can hear Goku or Sonic talk so I don't think it would be fair to ask that question here.

He also tried to use it in a fly and one of the things he used to practice Accio the night prior to the task until he got it right was Neville's toad.

Neither the books or the movie have any actual speed feats for Accio getting anywhere close to what Rowling implies the spell does. It's not just that Harry hears the broom, is that he has a moment after casting it where he worries that the spell won't work. If it was speed of light it wouldn't take that long to arrive from Hogwarts.

The Fantastic Beasts movie does count in this case because Rowling was answering questions related to that film. Her answer doesn't fit the films and doesn't fit the books. Nothing supports her statement, and every significant instance of the spell contradicts it.

Ok, I agree now with you that JKRs statement about Accio only working on inanimate objects is inconsistent and I'm sorry for being wrong; but I still don't see how that invalidates her statement on Accio being Relativistic+. On the topic of the broom not arriving the split second Harry casted the spell, maybe the spell takes a while to take effect or it doesn't accelerate the object to near c instantly but over time.

That would be a valid argument if there was some scene in either movies or books which had the target of Accio moving at the speeds she claims. But it never happens, they never go particularly fast, and there's no indication that its just slow acceleration. It's not the spell taking time to activate either because the spell takes effect immediately after being casted like it happens in the quote you posted above.

Without any actual feats and everything else against it there's nothing to support her words.

Well, for starters, Accio has the afromentioned feat of causing a sonic boom, which does not necessarily mean it's Relativistic+ but it definitely means that it's at least hypersonic. Combined with JKRs statement, I think this is enough evidence to proof that Accio is Relativistic+.

...A sonic boom is evidence of supersonic movement, not hypersonic. And you have not proven that's a supersonic movement. That quote is for Fred and George retrieving their brooms, which had been confiscated by Umbridge and chained to a wall in a locked room. The loud crash is just the brooms ripping the chains out of the wall and possibly going through a wooden door.

Harry heard a loud crash somewhere in the distance. Looking to his left, he ducked just in time. Fred and George's broomsticks, one still trailing the heavy chain and iron peg with which Umbridge had fastened them to the wall, were hurtling along the corridor towards their owners; they turned left, streaked down the stairs and stopped sharply in front of the twins, the chain clattering loudly on the flagged stone floor.

As usual LazyHunter makes perfect sense, and we also have rules that support his statements.

As usual LazyHunter makes perfect sense, and we also have rules that support his statements.
Well, since it was locked away, that might have slowed its start.
Accio took 9 seconds to travel what is generously 200 or so meters.
...A sonic boom is evidence of supersonic movement, not hypersonic. And you have not proven that's a supersonic movement. That quote is for Fred and George retrieving their brooms, which had been confiscated by Umbridge and chained to a wall in a locked room. The loud crash is just the brooms ripping the chains out of the wall and possibly going through a wooden door.

Harry heard a loud crash somewhere in the distance. Looking to his left, he ducked just in time. Fred and George's broomsticks, one still trailing the heavy chain and iron peg with which Umbridge had fastened them to the wall, were hurtling along the corridor towards their owners; they turned left, streaked down the stairs and stopped sharply in front of the twins, the chain clattering loudly on the flagged stone floor.
My apologies for the necroposting, but even if we can't apply the Relativistic speed feat, what about the other speed feat?
-Oj7jn_hORgVSWDNlbOXZXDJ6mn9WawLcXx8n7dBDlnCvEG9sWesHx0JLfDw-GznXoLMP9NUoA14zKd-I2Tx0PHpERnCDDcMj-O1ZH3A43PDSbbA8b9AIsj_YMEtkuc-QZ_G6ZgV

Voldemort flying from Austria to Britain in a short time which is calculated at High Hypersonic+ speed.
unknown.png

Voldemort's Apparition feat which is calculated at Massively Hypersonic speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back