• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Question about Speed in a Void

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, Velocity = Distance/Time.

In an area where Time = 0, Velocity approaches infinity.

Hence infinite speed.

I thought it was decided that moving in a timeless void was not enough justification for infinite speed since it's common in fiction.

Speed in the void is like dividing with 0.Impossible to define.

I didn't know we treated as Infinite speed, the Speed page says this: "Movement in a realm without space or time does not mean that a character has immeasurable speed within a realm of space and time, because there is no distance or time to be measured in the first place."

@Repp That's not how it works though, while the limit of the division approaches infinity the division isn't possible.So mathematically speaking is incorrect to say that the character would have infinite speed.

Not to mention that in the void space may not be present, in which case we have 0/0 which is also impossible to define.

@Gwen

Well, you're the math guy. Not me. I was just trying to rationalize it as best I can.

Thanks for the correction.

So should being able to move in a timeless void result in Immeasurable speed instead of Infinite speed? Cause I got the Infinite speed from a profile on here that gives a character Infinite speed for moving in a timeless void.

So then how do we treat things that existed before time, or in a place where time didn't exist and now reside in an area with time?

After extensively discussing the issue, we have modified our standards, so that moving in timeless voids is considered unquantifiable.

Kavpeny has told me that he will eventually try to organise a revision of the profiles that use the old standards, and if he is unable to, Ryukama might be able to help out.

It's just undefined. For example take: the Limit of tÔåÆ0 of (1)/(t). Of course this will give you ∞ or -∞. However, this is only when it's approaching 0 from the left or right. When it is at 0 exactly. It will just be undefined.

Since the question has been answered, I think that I can close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back