• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Question about the FAQ

Hi, this thread will deal with a question I had while re-reading the wiki FAQ.
So, first, you assume here that an n-dimensional being/object is composed of an infinity of n-1-dimensional objects, like a two-dimensional square composed of an infinity of one-dimensional segments.
And then, a few questions later, you assume here that a set A composed of an infinity of points of dimension 0 was itself a set of dimension 0.
My question is about this contradiction: if an arbitrary object (let's think of it as a set) of dimension n is composed of an infinity of objects of dimension less than it, the set A (which I mentioned before) that contains an infinity of objects of dimension 0 should logically itself be a set of dimension 1, since if we think of dimension 0 as dimension n-1 (dimension n was dimension 1), an infinity of objects of dimension n-1 makes the set an n-dimensional set (1), as I clarified before.
Either I have misinterpreted or it would be contradictory, I would like your opinion.
(And I would like to apologize in advance if I don't respect some of the thread rules, I'm new and frankly don't know enough about it.)
Palps ~

Not exactly sure what you mean, but from what i'm seeing your implying that the tiering FAQ says that a set A that has a infinite amount of 0 is a 1 dimensional object. But later it was stated that a set A that has infinite amount of 0 dimensions is 0 dimensional and thus a contradiction.

Well in simple terms, a set A is 1 dimensional when there are a uncountable infinite amount of 0 dimensional objects.

(Quoting:

In a way, yes, though not how most would think when using this word. Basically, an arbitrary object of dimension n is essentially comprised by the total sum of uncountably infinite objects of one dimension less)

Which means you need atleast a 2^Aleph 0 amount of 0 dimensional objects by the continuum hypothesis (or the real number line, it could also be portrayed as something that has a aleph 0 amount of ^ notations depending on how you view and interpret an epsilon number) to be 1d.

But bassically a infinite 0 dimensional object does not create a a new dimensional segment and instead you need a uncountable infinite of a n-dimensional object (in this case n=0) or a closed set of 0-1 ([0,1], more generally known as the unit interval.) to satisfy a new segment of dimensions.

Last edited:
Not exactly sure what you mean, but from what i'm seeing, your implying that the tiering faq says that a set A that has a infinite amount of 0 is a 1 dimensional object and later it was said that a set A that has infinite amount of 0 dimensions is 0 dimensional and thus a contradiction.

Well in simple terms, a set A is 1 dimensional when there are a uncountable infinite amount of 0 dimensional objects.

(Quoting:

In a way, yes, though not how most would think when using this word. Basically, an arbitrary object of dimension n is essentially comprised by the total sum of uncountably infinite objects of one dimension less)

Which means you need atleast a 2^Aleph 0 amount of 0 dimensional objects by the continuum hypothesis (or the real number line, it could also be portrayed as something that has a aleph 0 amount of ^ notations depending on how you view an epsilon number) to be 1d.

But bassically a infinite 0 dimensional object does not create a a new dimensional segment and instead you need a uncountable infinite of a n-dimensional object (in this case n=0) or a closed set of 0-1 ([0,1], more generally known as the unit interval.) to satisfy a new segment of dimensions.

What I mean, in simple terms, is that the wiki assumes that a set, which we will call X, is a set of dimension n only and only if it is composed of an incalculable (infinite) number of arbitrary objects of dimension n-1. So, if we consider that n = 3, the set/object X that we consider would be a cube, but since it is composed of an incalculable number of arbitrary objects of dimension n-1, thus 2, the object X contains an infinity of two-dimensional squares. Now, in the case of the set having an infinity of 0-dimensional points, since we have previously defined an n-dimensional object as being composed of an infinity of lower-dimensional objects, the set should logically be 1D, and not remain 0-dimensional, because the reasoning applies here too: a 1D set, composed of an infinity of 0D points, which defines our case well.

What I mean, in simple terms, is that the wiki assumes that a set, which we will call X, is a set of dimension n only and only if it is composed of an incalculable (infinite) number of arbitrary objects of dimension n-1. So, if we consider that n = 3, the set/object X that we consider would be a cube, but since it is composed of an incalculable number of arbitrary objects of dimension n-1, thus 2, the object X contains an infinity of two-dimensional squares. Now, in the case of the set having an infinity of 0-dimensional points, since we have previously defined an n-dimensional object as being composed of an infinity of lower-dimensional objects, the set should logically be 1D, and not remain 0-dimensional, because the reasoning applies here too: a 1D set, composed of an infinity of 0D points, which defines our case well.
Not exactly sure how that's the case but in mathematics we have a thing called real coordinate space which measures the n tuples of real numbers, an example of this is a space correspondance of Rx² is 2 dimensional because it corresponds to a 2 dimensional object where there is a closed set of 1-2 and 0-1 or a multiplication of [0,1]'s (unit interval) which creates a intersection of a 1 dimensional objects to satisfy a 2 dimensional object, but bassically the wiki uses and extrapolate this "mathematic" called real coordinate space to scale dimensions.

(Or geometric dimensions in general, etc.)

That aside, the idea of infinite 0 dimensional objects = 1 dimensional is like a Nx¹ in which doesn't correspond to a real number amount of 1 n tuple and doesn't create 1d in real coordinate space.

(Which is why a set X is still 0 dimensional when it has infinite 0 dimensional sets, also i'm pretty sure the points needed for dimensions increases as they intersect.)

Not exactly sure how that's the case but in mathematics we have a thing called real coordinate space which measures the n tuples of real numbers, an example of this is a space correspondance of Rx² is 2 dimensional because it corresponds to a 2 dimensional object where there is a closed set of 1-2 and 0-1 or a multiplication of [0,1]'s (unit interval) which creates a intersection of a 1 dimensional objects to satisfy a 2 dimensional object, but bassically the wiki uses and extrapolate this "mathematic" called real coordinate space to scale dimensions.

(Or geometric dimensions in general, etc.)

That aside, the idea of infinite 0 dimensional objects = 1 dimensional is like a Nx¹ in which doesn't correspond to a real number amount of 1 n tuple and doesn't create 1d in real coordinate space.

(Which is why a set X is still 0 dimensional when it has infinite 0 dimensional sets, also i'm pretty sure the points needed for dimensions increases as they intersect.)

I'm not sure I understood this idea very well but I will look into it more, thanks again.

Back