• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
I cannot for the life of me find the scan for Sirius buffing her authority with singing. Does someone have it on hand?
This is a theory based on what Sirius says about Lilianna's singing, and most importantly when Felt and Reinhard are transporting her, Felt can feel specifically her humming worming into her head despite seeing and hearing her not affecting her.

So it'll probably happen in the jailbreak.

here what a said before:
Rubbing Patlash again as he talked to Ram, Subaru caught his breath when she revealed the true nature of the healing spirit.
Now that he was paying attention to it, he could tell that the room was filled with a dense mana, which explained the incredible
foliage in the green room.
It felt sort of like his body was being healed from the inside, almost as if he was in an oxygen-rich environment. - volume 22
and in the Portuguese version he also talks about how mana is flowing to the plants inside the room, and how this was the source of their life.

here what a said before:

and in the Portuguese version he also talks about how mana is flowing to the plants inside the room, and how this was the source of their life.
Another version too;
Ram: “It appears like the Spirit’s power can speed up the healing process.”

Subaru: “There’s… a Spirit here? Where?”

Ram: “You are a Spiritual Arts User and you do not know? This whole room is the Spirit.”

Subaru: “――――”

Subaru briskly looked around the room at Ram’s words as he stroked Patrasche. The existence of the Spirit amongst the moss that grew on the walls or in the overgrown ivy was not reflected in his eyes, however straight after she’d told him that, Subaru took notice of the overwhelming mass of Mana there.

His breathing and body felt at ease as if he was in an area rich in oxygen.

There may have been a similar effect to that in Healing Mana. Even the uninjured Subaru felt like he was receiving its benefits upon relaxing himself and taking deep breaths.

Subaru: “I think I get it. This is the Spirit for sure… Can’t it talk?”

Ram: “The Spirit here is of a different kind… Though, I guess you could easily say that there is no such thing as Spirits who do not differ in some capacity. Emilia-sama’s esteemed Great Spirit, and Beatrice-sama... They are special, it does not seem like the Spirit over here has any sort of volition. It just attempts to cure the wounds and illnesses of anyone who enters inside.”

Subaru: “Pff, hmm.”

Ram: “What’s the matter?”

Subaru: “It’s nothing important. I just thought that sounded like a Witch I know of.”

This is a theory based on what Sirius says about Lilianna's singing, and most importantly when Felt and Reinhard are transporting her, Felt can feel specifically her humming worming into her head despite seeing and hearing her not affecting her.

So it'll probably happen in the jailbreak.
Ok, but where the hell is the scan?

A theory with no basis whatsoever, yes.
The Song of Resentment is pretty blatant foreshadowing, at least in my opinion.

Subaru: “…Wait up.”

Subaru stopped in his tracks due to an unpleasant sensation that grated against his skull just when they were about to reach the entrance. Then, he looked down at Sirius who was lying on the floor. The source of that unpleasantness came from over there, from the collapsed Sirius.

The monster was lying on her side, breathing crudely from her nose whilst pressing her face against the cold floor. Her breathing was so awfully ear-piercing that it had drawn his attention to her.

――Just before leaving the room, he had realized that she was humming a tune.

Subaru: “Stop that song, what are you trying to do?”

Sirius: “――――”

She was out of tune, her pitch and rhythm were both in a state of chaos. This dissonance did not come to a halt there. It was nothing else but a declaration of Sirius’s intent, regarding Subaru’s words.

In other words, a refusal, a rejection.

Subaru: “I told you to stop! This song is grating through my head!”

Sirius: “――My apologies? Ah, but songs sure are great, are they not? They taught me that songs are wonderful. That’s why I wanted to try and sing all of a sudden.”

Subaru: “Liliana…!?”

Sirius should have heard the song upon squaring off against Priscilla and Liliana. He had no idea how song had sealed her Authority during their fight.

In the midst of battle, the monster had not hated the song, and instead she had learnt something from it. However, the monster’s understanding of the song definitely was of different strokes to the feelings which Liliana had put into hers. Hers was something more eerie, and distorted.

Subaru: “Don’t compare her song with yours. Yours is different, it’s something else.”

It was uncertain how much she understood, or if she was done here or not, but regardless of that, the doddering conversation ended, and Beatrice left the room, closing the door behind her.

Just before she did, Sirius’s distorted hums slipped into Beatrice’s eardrums.

A harassment and severity of sound that grated against one’s sense of hearing with its distorted rhythm, like trampling the concept of music underneath it. A completely new kind of music that planted unpleasant feelings in others―― It was the “Song of Resentment”.

The door was closed, and the Song of Resentment was cut off.

But, no matter where she was, that distorted rhythm remained in her ears. Beatrice chased after Subaru and Emilia at an adagio pace, whilst tasting that unpleasant sensation. —Volume 20
Felt leaned against the Dragon Carriage as Reinhard talked to the guards. She could make out a cracked, hoarse voice coming from inside of the carriage that made her eardrums tremble.

Just listening to that voice made her feel like her heart was being grated; if she were to give it a favourable interpretation, then it was humming. However, that humming took away every single good part the song itself was supposed to possess.

The result of which became a cacophony that made her instinctively want to scrunch her face up: a blasphemy towards music. Or perhaps it was far more warped, something you ought to call “The Music of Resentment”. Either way…

Felt: [Hearing you hum is really getting on my nerves, so give it a rest. If you want to keep going that way then sing properly like that spazzy diva] —The Golden Lion and The Sword Saint: The Lion’s Ferocity First Chronicle

Emilia deflecting Jiwald(s), translated properly.
At that moment, towards the woman who had slightly tilted her head―― a white light shot from Sphinx’s finger, and with an “Eh”, Emilia deflected it obliquely using a mirror of ice she conjured on reflex.

If Emilia’s specialty had been the Earth attribute instead of the Fire attribute, the earthen or stone wall would have been pierced through in a single shot, and possibly resulted in a fatal injury.

It was an attack brimming with murderous intent, to the extent that it would make one shudder.

Nevertheless――,

Emilia: [Jeez! What a reaaally abrupt start!]

The white light had not been released as a singular shot; rather, chasing after Emilia, as her silver hair danced, was a hot beam of light that sliced through the world, and with it the battle had begun.

Her opponent looked exactly like Echidna, and also like Echidna, seemed to be good at magic.

But, the same was true of Emilia.

Emilia: [If that’s what you want to do, then I’m going to give it my all too! After making sure you can’t move, I’m taking you to Subaru and the others!]

Sphinx: [I do not wish to meet them ever again. Hence, I shall take your life here, and ascertain the type of expression Pricilla Barielle would have.]

Emilia: [――! Do you know where Priscilla is?]

As she sliced away the attacks of light released from all directions with a sword of ice that shone like a mirror, Emilia’s amethyst eyes sparkled in response to Sphinx’s words.

jiwald is really describe as a light attack in the official english translation? in portuguese this is just describe as a heat beam that is so fast that almost seems like is light speed.

the narration/Subaru even mentions how in theory this isn't even that hard to dodge, as it's a beam that travels in a straight line.

jiwald is really describe as a light attack in the official english translation? in portuguese this is just describe as a heat beam that is so fast that almost seems like is light speed.

the narration/Subaru even mentions how in theory this isn't even that hard to dodge, as it's a beam that travels in a straight line.
Portuguese translations are very shitty according to a friend of mine so I dont think we can take that for reference even if it was stated to be that

Portuguese translations are very shitty according to a friend of mine so I dont think we can take that for reference even if it was stated to be that
I've never actually heard anyone complaining about it. In fact, I've always seen people talking well, especially in comparison to the trash that is the America.

This description alone is enough for light-speed. The reflection feats are a bonus.
"Jiwald!"

A ray of heat shot across the air, aimed towards the engaged duo.

White light, in its most simple form, that could rip through the world with its dreadful edge. In other words, it could become an invisible blade that tore, cut and burnt through everything in its path.

It went straight, and was as such, easy to dodge―― However, the shimmering rays travelled at the speed of light, crashing straight into its target.

Even so, the Stick Swinger cut away the rays of light fired by the third party with ease――

I've never actually heard anyone complaining about it. In fact, I've always seen people talking well, especially in comparison to the trash that is the America.
the praise you might have heard about is the speed difference which is impressive for the Portuguese but the TL quality is worse than English TLs according to a translator friend of mine

But yeah YenPress isnt doing amazing work in the TL department in English either

the praise you might have heard about is the speed difference which is impressive for the Portuguese but the TL quality is worse than English TLs according to a translator friend of mine

But yeah YenPress isnt doing amazing work in the TL department in English either
Yenpress isn't even the main translator over here though

I'm talking about the quality of the translation, it's practically a consensus here that the Portuguese translation is better than the American one, everyone who understands both languages says that. and even the treatment that the product receives here is better. the new pop translators really seem to like the work.

I would really like to know why your friend thinks the translation is bad?? The most I see people complain about is more about silly proofreading errors.

I think there are some feats of weaker characters dodging them, right? Even Emilia can deflect them by instinct.
No, not really. There's nothing to suggest she actually reacts to them after the fact. That would make even the mid tiers light speed. That is simply not the case. It's very consistently portrayed as being way faster than them. Arc 5 explicitly states that only someone equivalent to Reinhard could dodge it after the fact but Roy manages to avoid it by knowing about it beforehand.

No, not really. There's nothing to suggest she actually reacts to them after the fact. That would make even the mid tiers light speed. That is simply not the case. It's very consistently portrayed as being way faster than them. Arc 5 explicitly states that only someone equivalent to Reinhard could dodge it after the fact but Roy manages to avoid it by knowing about it beforehand.
fair.
At that moment, towards the woman who had slightly tilted her head―― a white light shot from Sphinx’s finger, and with an “Eh”, Emilia deflected it obliquely using a mirror of ice she conjured on reflex.
but she's not reacting to this here?

Sphinx ≈ Rui
Olbart can essentially blitz Rui
Sphidna can track and respond to Olbart
So becoming the Witch of Greed made her faster, seemingly.
It certainly made her reaction and magical combat speed faster, however, I don't think she's physically faster in terms of combat speed cause Echidna was never physically fast or strong.

I can tell speed is going to be a big issue.

Going to need a whole thread for it.

Halfway through arc 8 btw.
There's definitely a lot that needs to be updated but I don't think it's all that complicated. All of the divine generals seem to either directly scale to or downscale from lightning speed, high tier mages like Sphidna and Roswaal can react to them and keep up with magic, etc.

There's definitely a lot that needs to be updated but I don't think it's all that complicated. All of the divine generals seem to either directly scale to or downscale from lightning speed, high tier mages like Sphidna and Roswaal can react to them and keep up with magic, etc.
It is mentioned that the Sphinx trained after the war. Al also mentions that her fighting skills are better than the original echidna, and considering how the flow method works, I wouldn't find it strange that the sphinx is physically stronger than the echidna while alive.

It is mentioned that the Sphinx trained after the war. Al also mentions that her fighting skills are better than the original echidna, and considering how the flow method works, I wouldn't find it strange that the sphinx is physically stronger than the echidna while alive.
The real Echidna is incredibly physically weak, Sphidna could make her explode with her pinky, but she still must have superhuman speed to fight the likes of Roswaal on equal footing.

The real Echidna is incredibly physically weak, Sphidna could make her explode with her pinky, but she still must have superhuman speed to fight the likes of Roswaal on equal footing.
Yea apparently every mage has superhuman speed, even if only in reaction. and echidna could still increase hers with yang magic...

hey I remembered that in arc 3 Subaru breaks Peteguese's nose with a headbutt, in that loop where he accidentally kills Emilia. how exactly would this scale?

I know that the low tier ones will receive updates to their profiles and that specifically Subaru's is very wrong, as he is said to be comparable to the old Rom and literally defeats Chin in arc 5, but the feat of hurting a 7-A It's impressive, isn't it?

Back